Security and cleaning

diz79

Thread author
Nov 8, 2013
Wow what a really helpful site just come across due to more probs with malware.

I just used this page here very helpful indeed.

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/do-searches-virus-removal/

The question I had if anyone can help is I currently use spybot search and destroy, c cleaner and mr fix. Are these good enough? Do I need to use all of them?

Im considering using the new ones ive found (as above) or are these just for malware?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
One question before I start, have you successfully cleared any threats from your PC?

To be honest, not a lot of user use or recommend Spybot Search and Destroy any more. Their paid version uses the Bitdefender engine, just like every other company out there. However, you can use Bitdefender Free Antivirus, if you're a fan of their software, but you don't want to pay for software.

For an on-demand scanner, I highly recommend Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free for weekly or monthly scans.

CCleaner isn't an Antivirus, it's a tool to clear out junk files from many of the software you use daily, ie. Firefox, Temp files etc.

Not sure what "mr fix" is, nor have I heard of it.

What you need is an Antivirus, we can recommend you Free or Paid software, or if you require an Internet Security suite, although I believe a Free Antivirus provides adequate protection with good browsing habits. What type of AV do you prefer?

diz79

Thread author
Nov 8, 2013
Yes all threats are cleared thank you v much.

Oh ok I will stop using spy bot.

Mr fix does a registry clean is that similar to ccleaner?

I currently use avira antivrius have used avast in the past. Is that good enough?

so is Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware a registry clean as well?

What does everyone do on a monthly basis.

1Registry scan Mrfix/ccleaner
2Antivirus-avira
3Malware scan- Malware bytes

Is that enough just those three?

any other tips?

bunyip783

Level 1
Mar 1, 2011
diz79 said:
Yes all threats are cleared thank you v much.

Oh ok I will stop using spy bot.

Mr fix does a registry clean is that similar to ccleaner?

I currently use avira antivrius have used avast in the past. Is that good enough?

so is Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware a registry clean as well?

What does everyone do on a monthly basis.

1Registry scan Mrfix/ccleaner
2Antivirus-avira
3Malware scan- Malware bytes

Is that enough just those three?

any other tips?

Avira is a fine antivirus and malwarebytes supplements it nicely. You can use Ccleaner if you really feel the need but remove Mr fix. Registry cleaners are something you should stay away from.

As long as you keep all the software on your computer updated and run weekly/monthly scans with both of those you should be fine.

diz79

Thread author
Nov 8, 2013
Great thanks a lot guys. What is wrong with registry cleaners I thought they was important?

WalterWolf

Level 3
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
diz79 said:
Great thanks a lot guys. What is wrong with registry cleaners I thought they was important?

It's bad because registry cleaner can remove some system registry parts.Use Iobit Uninstaller if you're uninstalling program.For daily/monthly i use CCleaner(tweaked to be run automatically at windows startup) and Defraggler,sometimes i use privazer to clean my PC deep.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
For security Avira is ok but you can go with Comodo Internet Security it's great piece of software,just tweak it properly.

DaZa9

Level 8
Verified
Aug 16, 2013
Comodo is for advanced users that should tweak it right to benefit from all its features
Avira is good one and has a great signatures. Use it besides Windows Firewall should do the work.

WalterWolf

Level 3
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
DaZa9 said:
Comodo is for advanced users that should tweak it right to benefit from all its features
Avira is good one and has a great signatures. Use it besides Windows Firewall should do the work.

Nah,it's very easy to tweak CIS just follow 3 pics that's all.Avira is worst av on tests :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.