Security options for smartphones

T3chnopsycho

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 11, 2015
Hi guys,
A question came to my mind that I don't even have an idea if it exists. I was wondering about whether there are any security options for Smartphones (specifically Android as I will be switching to Android soon, but interested in anything).

I stumbled upon this thread (http://malwaretips.com/threads/android-malware-on-the-rise.47860/) which coincidentally was just posted not too long ago.

So my questions:
  1. How does malware protection currently work for smartphones?
  2. Are there any security, anti virus / anti malware softwares (apps?) available for smartphones.
  3. Are these even necessary?
  4. If you have a security configuration / software for your smartphone what do you have?
  5. What is your personal opinion on malware on smartphones? Do you view it as a threat that needs to be watched or are you unconcerned.
Not sure if this has been discussed before (I didn't find anything with a quick search).

Feel free to bring up other points to the discussion.

Cheers

T3chnopsycho

L

LabZero

I have Android device.

1) Security software scans and detects those apps that are harmful by deleting them.
2) There are many Android Antimalware free and paid, the best work in the cloud and have the web filter.
3) In my opinion are necessary especially if you have the root device so a malware has permission to act without problems.
But always are necessary because Google cannot guarantee that all apps you download from G. Play are clean and the problem worsens if you download from the unofficial market.
4) I use Bitdefender Mobile Security.
5) Today on Smart Phone there is all our life and our data: we need to protect them.
The number of banker malware is constantly increasing...

Last edited by a moderator:

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Actually, the possibility of getting malware from Google Play is very very low. Antivirus vendors know this that is why in their paid products they include other features like anti-theft because malware infection in Android phones is very low. If you will download apps from Google Play, you will very rarely get infected.

T3chnopsycho

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 11, 2015
I have Android device.

1) Security software scans and detects those apps that are harmful by deleting them.
2) There are many Android Antimalware free and paid, the best work in the cloud and have the web filter.
3) In my opinion are necessary especially if you have the root device so a malware has permission to act without problems.
But always are necessary because Google cannot guarantee that all apps you download from G. Play are clean and the problem worsens if you download from the unofficial market.
4) I use Bitdefender Mobile Security.
5) Today on Smart Phone there is all our life and our data: we need to protect them.
The number of banker malware is constantly increasing...

Thanks for your reply :)

To the first question maybe I should elaborate a bit. I think I formulated my question wrong...
I wanted to know a bit about what is available / if there is something available as I've never really heard or seen security software for smartphones in a discussion.

Another partially related question: Is there a place on this site that showcases security software for smartphones or are there any previous discussions on this topic?

Cheers

T3chnopsycho

Reactions: LabZero
L

LabZero

Thanks for your reply :)

To the first question maybe I should elaborate a bit. I think I formulated my question wrong...
I wanted to know a bit about what is available / if there is something available as I've never really heard or seen security software for smartphones in a discussion.

Another partially related question: Is there a place on this site that showcases security software for smartphones or are there any previous discussions on this topic?

Cheers

T3chnopsycho

This is the forum section about mobile devices :

http://malwaretips.com/forums/android-ios-and-windows-phone-apps.41/

Of course if you have any questions or reports you can create a thread about this topic :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Hi guys,

So my questions:
  1. How does malware protection currently work for smartphones?
  2. Are there any security, anti virus / anti malware softwares (apps?) available for smartphones.
  3. Are these even necessary?
  4. If you have a security configuration / software for your smartphone what do you have?
  5. What is your personal opinion on malware on smartphones? Do you view it as a threat that needs to be watched or are you unconcerned.

1) Usually majority of Antivirus doesn't come with Quarantine (AFAIK), and if its detected then either to delete or suggested to uninstall the infected program. * (that's the trend concept when it comes from smartphone security)

2) Yes bunch of Antivirus from A-Z; here's a little test reference done by the AV-Test.org

3) Its up to you, calculate your habits; sometimes they are known for draining the battery whereas majority of smartphones could not well optimize for saving consumption.

4) I don't have neither but if do then its simply Dr.Web Antivirus

5) Malware on smartphones tends to choose like from PC which scale of audience holds an OS; but the security built in of Android tend to be simple but rather effective by uncheck install third party programs. Alongside of review the program's permission and reviews from Play Store.

T3chnopsycho

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 11, 2015
Eset mobile security for my smartphone..

Same antivirus for me

I'll be taking a look at this one.

This is the forum section about mobile devices :

http://malwaretips.com/forums/android-ios-and-windows-phone-apps.41/

Of course if you have any questions or reports you can create a thread about this topic :)

Thanks a lot for the link and your answer before as well. :)

1) Usually majority of Antivirus doesn't come with Quarantine (AFAIK), and if its detected then either to delete or suggested to uninstall the infected program. * (that's the trend concept when it comes from smartphone security)

2) Yes bunch of Antivirus from A-Z; here's a little test reference done by the AV-Test.org

3) Its up to you, calculate your habits; sometimes they are known for draining the battery whereas majority of smartphones could not well optimize for saving consumption.

4) I don't have neither but if do then its simply Dr.Web Antivirus

5) Malware on smartphones tends to choose like from PC which scale of audience holds an OS; but the security built in of Android tend to be simple but rather effective by uncheck install third party programs. Alongside of review the program's permission and reviews from Play Store.

thanks for your answers.

I'll take a look at the site you posted as well as Dr. WEb Antivirus.

What does battery consumption have to do with AV programs?

@ all thanks for the insightful answers and tips :)

Cheers

T3chnopsycho

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I used 360 Security before, but since I don't download any apps using my smartphone, I opt to uninstall it. I still feel secure because I download apk's with my PC which is also protected by an AV.

T3chnopsycho

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 11, 2015
I used 360 Security before, but since I don't download any apps using my smartphone, I opt to uninstall it. I still feel secure because I download apk's with my PC which is also protected by an AV.

Sounds like a good option as well. So basically you just install apps by loading them onto the phone over your computer?
How did you find 360 security?

@T3chnopsycho antivirus adds one or more running processes so this may affect more or less evident on battery consumption.
Personally I didn't notice much difference with BD.

That was my guess as well. Guess I would have to try it out.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
How did you find 360 security?

Last year, less ads, now it's raining ads when I have net so I just nuked it. Anyway I'm downloading apks on a PC so it get scanned before I install it on my android.

@T3chnopsycho antivirus adds one or more running processes so this may affect more or less evident on battery consumption.

Actually 360 have a powersaver where all running apps are sent to standby mode 5 minutes (default) after the screensaver kicks in

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
T3chnopsycho

Since AV programs are run from the background process, therefore battery consumption should observe (usually minimal percentage); we all know that Android OS isn't totally optimize to handle the battery unless the manufacturer like ASUS can handle the battery saver very well.

Reactions: T3chnopsycho

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Here is what I've observed with 360 Security and Avast too, they kicked in whenever you install/run a new app and gives an option to remove it if it is detected as malicious.

cLcL

Level 1
Verified
Jan 6, 2015
hello..
3. i dont think they're necessary. if you know what you're doing with your (android) smartphone you should be safe
4. i dont use anti virus/malware, i have adguard for android, but mainly for the ad-block (which i think it's better approach than using hosts block)
5. i think malware in android is easier to recognize, download apps/apks from respectable source (playstore, f-droid, etc) or other websites, read the reviews, comments, etc. and watch suspicious links that come from unknown source (usually text messages). that's all, you should be safe.

Last year, less ads, now it's raining ads when I have net so I just nuked it. Anyway I'm downloading apks on a PC so it get scanned before I install it on my android.
i dont think antivirus for PC (windows) can detect malicious apks (yet), cmiiw though. or you install the apks in android emulator first to test it?

Reactions: T3chnopsycho

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
It's completely depends on you. What kind of protection you want?

There are mainly three types of protection

1. Malware protection
-- If you are on a rooted phone then you really need to put some protection and be 100% careful before giving super user permission to any apps.
-- If your phone is not rooted then do not provide administrative permission to any App.
-- Download software from PlayStore only.

2. Privacy Protection
-- This is the most important protection required on the smartphone. Your desktop might have limited information, but your smartphone includes the phone numbers / sms/ call logs everything. So be careful before installing any apps and when installing check the permission it's asking for.

3. Network protection
-- If you are on rooted phone, use IP Filter based Firewalls to monitor Network Traffic.
-- If your phone is not rooted use VPN based Firewall to monitor traffic.

For Rooted phone I personally suggest -- Avast Free Antivirus ( Malware Protection, Web Protection, Firewall all are there)
For unrooted phone -- 360 Antivirus + No Root Firewall.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.