Shadow Defender options query

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I want to use Shadow Defender on-demand only.

Can I safely disable "start with windows" option in the settings?

Can I safely disable Shadow Defender Daemon Application in msconfig - startup?

Disable the 2 will not affect Shadow Defender functioning in any way?

Reactions: Logethica
H

hjlbx

Thread author

Yes.

Yes.

No... this is what I do on my system.

You only need SD to start at Windows boot when booting into Shadow Mode.

Reactions: Chigwells and Jack

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014

I think you can use SD as an on-demand security safely.
But, of course, if you do that, you'll have no protection from SD.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
To use Shadow Defender on demand

Open "Shadow Defender" program under normal mode, go to "Mode Settings" then select the volume which will enter Shadow Mode, then click "Enter Shadow Mode".

K4IXwLul.gif

Then you will see the following box.Tick the radio button next to "Exit Shadow Mode on Shutdown" and click OK

HDbTWxQ.gif

Here is what the 2 choices do.
  • Enter Shadow Mode on Boot (not on demand) – means the system will be put into Shadow Mode every time you boot the system, until you open up the Shadow Defender program and hit Exit Shadow Mode.
  • Exit Shadow Mode on shutdown (on demand) – If you select "Exit Shadow Mode when shutdown" the volume will exit Shadow Mode automatically when OS reboot or shutdown.
I would leave everything else alone especially msconfig.This is how to use it on demand

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Yes.

Yes.

No... this is what I do on my system.

You only need SD to start at Windows boot when booting into Shadow Mode.
So the option & msconfig entry both can be safely disabled & will not affect any functioning of SD, right?
Thanxx for the info.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
So the option & msconfig entry both can be safely disabled & will not affect any functioning of SD, right?
Thanxx for the info.

All you have to do is disable start with Windows. Don't mess with disabling SD service in msconfig... it isn't necessary and may cause problems.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
All you have to do is disable start with Windows. Don't mess with disabling SD service in msconfig... it isn't necessary and may cause problems.
On Wilders a user mentioned its safe to disable SD msconfig entry as its for popup messages like low disk space, etc...

Also the below thread in SD official forum mention its safe to disable the entry & doesn't affect security features.
What is 'DefenderDaemon'?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Why do you want to disable these? They are not going to have any impact on your system.You do not have to do that to use SD on demand.

Reactions: XhenEd
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I agree with @exterminator20 there is no need to disable SD as it has no impact on your system at all, better to leave it enabled so you can fire it up at anytime you want.
Even with it disabled you can start SD any time or am I missing anything here?

Why do you want to disable these? They are not going to have any impact on your system.You do not have to do that to use SD on demand.
I like to keep disable stuffs that can be disabled without any negative effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
That's what I do on my system. I have no problems on my specific system.
You say you have disabled start with windows option & msconfig entry both & no probs.

But in one of your previous post above you say dont mess with msconfig entry?

H

hjlbx

Thread author
You say you have disabled start with windows option & msconfig entry both & no probs.

But in one of your previous post above you say dont mess with msconfig entry?

I meant you might run into problems on your specific system. You can try and always have option to change setting back. Doing that hurts nothing...

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I meant you might run into problems on your specific system. You can try and always have option to change setting back. Doing that hurts nothing...
Ok.. disabled on my Win 10 64... tested installing couple software in SD & restarting the system & everything was cleared... so working fine here.

Thanxx for all the info guys.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As I use Shadow Defender very long time, its already a main trend that for on demand purpose; tick to exit Shadow Mode by Shut Down is common. Same with counterpart like Toolwiz Time Freeze.

Let's make it simple which you don't need to touch everything from MS Config.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.