Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
shocker-almost-nobody-uses-microsoft-s-edge-windows-10-browser-490562-2.jpg

Microsoft launched Edge, its new Windows 10 browser, with much fanfare, describing it as a modern rival for Firefox and Google Chrome that can finally replace Internet Explorer and win the hearts of users worldwide.

On paper, Edge is indeed a very appealing browser, but in reality, it lacks several key features and it obviously needs plenty of improvements on both desktops and tablets, some of which are expected to be released soon.

But right now, Edge doesn't seem to be the preferred choice for those who install Windows 10 and browse the web daily, as the new browser is nowhere to be seen in August 2015 market share statistics.

Inaccurate stats or the painful truth?
Data provided by market analyst firm StatCounter shows that in August 2015 Google Chrome 44 was the number one browser with a market share of 44.48 percent.

Internet Explorer 11 was second with 10.89 percent, followed by Firefox 39 with 7.45 percent. Several other IE, Chrome, and Firefox come next, but Microsoft Edge is not included in these stats.

The latest entry in the chart is Firefox 38 with 0.94 percent, which probably means that Edge is below this score and is only included in the Others category that has an overall market share of 15.89 percent.

While it's hard to tell whether these figures are inaccurate or not, it's pretty clear that for the moment, Microsoft Edge is not really that powerful browser the Redmond-based tech giant wants it to be.

Read more: Shocker: Almost Nobody Uses Microsoft's Edge Windows 10 Browser

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I do not use it because it does not support add-ons/extensions. For me, Adblock and WOT are must have browser add-ons, I would not user a browser without these two!
I don't know if the report is correct, however Microsoft Edge is only available for Windows 10 users, so it already has a more limited market than Chrome, Firefox or even Internet Explorer. I do think once Microsoft will add plugins support and more people will migrate to Windows 10, the martket share will grow..

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well still a premature browser even its on a primetime, I've currently using this browser for a couple of weeks and seems it needs to deploy those crucial features for such increasing the reliability and worthwhile to use.

Likely Edge is more something to do for being simplistic however in reality those parts are may not happen always.

So it shouldn't be a shocker, Edge still binds as a conception for typical users as IE therefore still considered to use 3rd party.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I use Edge for browsing this site.

Most noticeably it lacks extensions support, that's a must-have feature in every other modern browser. It comes packed with Adobe Flash Player, that can be disabled, if required - it's a good addition. It also lacks some editing functionality, such as "Paste as Plain Text" and "Open Image in New Tab"

Options for Web Links - Ask Cortana (same as "Search with Bing") - Results can be Pinned to side.
upload_2015-9-1_19-27-34.png

Options for Web Images
upload_2015-9-1_19-35-11.png

Bottom Line: It's very early days for Microsoft Edge. Unless Edge gets an update FAST, it has no potential market share gain.

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Wow, I think I may be the only one using it as my daily browser. Chrome feels really slow compared to it. Yes, the lack of addons for it is annoying. But they will be coming soon to it in the Fall. There are some websites that just won't work in it so I just open them up in IE and it works fine. Sites detect Edge as Chrome which is pretty funny. Only thing I need is a adblocker so for now I am using a modified hosts file until it becomes available.

I have no problems in Edge, it is fast, I've loaded pages side by side with Chrome and Edge beats it even with no addons enabled. It doesn't suck up resources and make the computer SO slow.

I love the Smartscreen filter for bad webpages and downloads. It is quite good security wise.

I have Firefox installed just in case a webpage doesn't work right with IE or Edge.

I only now use Chrome on my Android and I use Safari on my iPad. I seem to be sticking to the default with each OS. :rolleyes:
The scrolling on Edge is much smoother for me than Chrome and the response time is so much better.

The Ask Cortana feature would be nice, but sadly Cortana still isn't available to us Canadians. :(

Looks like I'm alone on this one. I love Edge. It works just fine for me and will love it even more when extension support comes soon.

Oh and I typed this reply from Microsoft Edge! :D

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
It is a fast browser however I am in agreement with those who do not use it for the lack of extensions.I also like the customization in both FF & Chrome that I cannot get in Edge.I cannot live without FVD Speed Dial in FF & Speed Dial in Chrome and the ability to sync these across multiple PC's

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
To be honest, it's total crap - no browser extensions, nor any real features. It's plain and boring. I was a waiting the release of the new browser as I personally hate IE, but this, this is even worse. Poor job Microsoft. The agree with the above, I used it once, to download firefox, and haven't been there since.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Without repeating what is already said by others, as a power user and heavy multi-tasker this is not a browser I can use for my needs, how ever for my mother or grandmother to use, sure.

H

hjlbx

The problem with Edge is that it loads everything on a visited webpage = CDN server garbage. So it comes to a crawl - and worse - is a huge security risk.

Using Edge is a really bad idea from a security perspective; I would bet its protections turn out to be inadequate - even for a Windows App. Right now, it just can't be trusted nor is it user-friendly...

If one wants an extensionless browser that is super secure then use Quarri's MyPOQ.

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Everyone should wait for at least a month or stay tune for the updates in extension support which is the number one issue right here. Other issues should be notify from developers as well.

Reactions: PlayerFromTheITtic

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Just like with IE, I use it to download other browsers, to test to see if it's a web page error/host is down, or if it is Firefox/Chrome's fault. Edge has uses for me, just not one as my main browser. Without extentions, good ones at that like uBlock Origin, I won't be using it. I also find Chrome far faster than Edge in everything I do. Edge likes to lock up on my computer. Fresh reinstall, fully updated, no matter what AV I have. Firefox is the same way currently though. I'm sure it will pass as it always does.

M

Mr. Tech

Probably because Edge has nothing unique like other competitors, it's just a plain browser as IE was - If they actually had the ability to use extensions then I could see the use of it rising but the way it is now it just won't happen.

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
People don't use EDGE because it's only for Windows 10, most people don't use or like Windows 10.

Reactions: frogboy

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Edge is pretty fast, in my opinion. I think it's more or less faster than Chrome. But I don't use it currently since it doesn't have support for extensions yet. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.