Should I install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware beside Emsisoft Anti-Malware?

Should I install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware beside Emsisoft Anti-Malware for extra protection?

• Yes

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
I have used Malwarebytes for years along side different Av's, I have never had a conflict or noticed any system slowdown. Malwarebytes is meant to run with other security products and currently I am running it with Emsisoft Anti-Malware and my system runs perfectly.

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
I don't think its a good idea. Emsisoft is already Bitdefender + its own in-house antivirus, and with a top notch behaviour blocker added into the mix. I don't see a need for Malwarebytes, even if your computer has the neccessary resources to run it.

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
MBAM Pro can be a useful addition for users who are often victims of potentially unwanted applications and don't use a product which already detects these.

Yet EAM is one of the best when it comes to detect them and I think their implementation is also better. A lot of legitimate software comes bundled with potentially unwanted content and some solutions flag the whole package as malicious, whereas EAM will only detect and block the installation of the PUP and allow the legitimate content. Though I am not sure how Malwarebytes behaves and if it flags the whole package.

In terms of actual zero-day malware EAM's behavior blocker has a clear advantage over MBAM which only uses signatures.

Another factor: if I were to use EAM, I would set its file guard to scan only on execution, for performance reasons without decreasing the protection (@Fabian Wosar uses it like this, IIRC). Since MBAM Pro is an on-execution scanner as well, both file-guards could conflict with each other when they both detect malware on execution.

Hence I would refrain from using both together and I don't think it's necessary.

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
Emsisoft is more than awesome, install mbam free version & have a monthly scan or twice a month what ever suits you :)

Reactions: Bill7

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Which version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Free or Premium?

Reactions: Bill7

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
I've used both for a long time (until recently, just got Windows 7 Firewall atm...). Having MBAM as an on-demand and EAM as an active is fine. I've noticed on malware tests on this forum that the files EAM misses, MBAM picks up and vice versa. They are a decent one-two punch again infections, but hey... so are browsing habits :)

One example is file-sharing applications. EAM doesn't kick up a fuss at all, but MBAM brings up alerts for various IPs that are in the swarm, so always good to run MBAM with "Malicious Website Blocking" enabled while P2P'ing. There is no need for premium MBAM since it will be used as a secondary protector.

Reactions: Maxxx58

Maxxx58

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
I've used both for a long time (until recently, just got Windows 7 Firewall atm...). Having MBAM as an on-demand and EAM as an active is fine. I've noticed on malware tests on this forum that the files EAM misses, MBAM picks up and vice versa. They are a decent one-two punch again infections, but hey... so are browsing habits :)

One example is file-sharing applications. EAM doesn't kick up a fuss at all, but MBAM brings up alerts for various IPs that are in the swarm, so always good to run MBAM with "Malicious Website Blocking" enabled while P2P'ing. There is no need for premium MBAM since it will be used as a secondary protector.
Thanks for your suggestion

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014

but website protection is not available in free version?

Reactions: nissimezra
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.