[SOLVED,CLOSED]Problem removing SMART HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siouxsiesue

Thread author
Apr 24, 2012
Please help me! I'm a basic computer user so please take it slowly.
I can see it's going the right way but is far from solved.

I need 'small steps' guidance!

Attachments

• aswMBR.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 185

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
RE: Problem removing SMART HDD

Hi lets see whats wrong with your net.

Download and Install Combofix 

Download ComboFix from one of the following locations: 
Link 1  
Link 2  

VERY IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop  

* IMPORTANT - Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link here  
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • Accept the disclaimer and allow to update if it asks

NSIS_disclaimer_ENG.png

NSIS_extraction.png

• When finished, it shall produce a log for you. 
    [*]Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.

Notes:
1. Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
2. Do not "re-run" Combofix. If you have a problem, reply back for further instructions.
3.  If after the reboot you get errors about programmes being marked for deletion then reboot, that will cure it.

Please make sure you include the combo fix log in your next reply as well as describe how your computer is running now

NEXT

run farbar service scanner

fss.jpg

Tick "All" options.
Press "Scan".
It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.

Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

Siouxsiesue

Thread author
Apr 24, 2012

Hello

Ran combofix as requested. When the Combofix disclaimer window came up it was blank with 2 blank boxes at the bottom. I clicked on the box that should say 'I agree' and the the program ran.

Combofix text file attached.

Computer seems to run much the same.
Can access google website but has no links at page top and am unable to type in the search box and therefore cannot search.
Tried another website at random - Cineworld.co.uk - this opens but is incomplete - all the option boxes on LHS are blank.

Ran FSS which went through ok and it saved to usb memory stick but I wasn't sure it had done this so tried to copy and paste to Word - when I tried I got a blue screen and before it disappeared saw
PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGE AREA. (have more details if required as info came up on re-boot)

FSS text file attached.

Rebooted in safe mode.

Thank you for your help!
Sue

Attachments

• ComboFix.txt
    21.9 KB · Views: 213
  • FSS.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 138

Siouxsiesue

Thread author
Apr 24, 2012

Hello

My daughter mainly uses Google Chrome but has tried to use Internet Explorer without success.
Apparently she swapped when she was having problems with IE (a while back!) as it was running painfully slow but didn't think to tell me...

Sue

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012

Re-Install chrome...

also run the microsoft Fix It for IE:
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/ie_performance_and_safety/

Siouxsiesue

Thread author
Apr 24, 2012

Hi

I've uninstalled Google Chrome (where do I go to re-install this) and tried to run Microsoft Fixit for IE but it just opens to a blank window.
:(

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012

Siouxsiesue said:
Hi

I've uninstalled Google Chrome (where do I go to re-install this) and tried to run Microsoft Fixit for IE but it just opens to a blank window.
:(

Chrome: https://www.google.com/chrome

Download Windows Repair (all in one) from here:
http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

Install the program then run

Go to step 2 and allow it to run Disc check
Capture3.gif

Once that is done then go to step 3 and allow it to run SFC
Capture.gif

On the start repairs tab select advanced mode and click start
Capture1.gif

Select all the items given and tick restart system when finished then click Start

Siouxsiesue

Thread author
Apr 24, 2012

Hello

I downloaded and ran Windows all in one repair.
At all steps I got blank windows except for the picture and blank choice boxes but could choose the correct one from your detailed pictures - thank you!
However, at the last step on the repairs tab I got the error:
Error in CMouseOver.ssc_Subclass
! Window Handle is already subclassed.
This error would not close but kept pressing ok and it came up with Advanced mode window.
Should I force a restart or click on one of the blank boxes on this screen - and if so - which one?

Many thanks

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012

OK...now repair install...dont worry u wont lose any data in this process see here:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/341...stall.html

Keep your windows serial key in hand to activate your windows!! :rolleyes:

Siouxsiesue

Thread author
Apr 24, 2012

Hello

In the meantime, I tried running TDSSkiller which detected no threats.
Then I ran PC Tools Spyware Doctor but did not purchase the product at the end - however it directed me to IE which I then set as a default.
When I came out of this I noticed that when I plugged my USB stick in, the drive window showed properly for the first time (not just an empty box with pictures!). Wondered if this was what was causing the problem - I might have removed the Smart HDD problem with all the things I'd tried previously (!) and this could have been a separate compatibility problem with IE and Google Chrome (now uninstalled). Of course, afterwards, I remember trying IE as an option and it did state that there was a compatibility problem but just thought it was a page fault!
Thought I'd give Malware Antimalwarebytes another go... re-downloaded ..and to my surprise it ran completely.
Is there anything I should run to ensure that the problem is sorted? The SpyDoctor showed 1 high risk,6 medium risks and loads of low risks?

Presumably I don't need to run repair install now?

Thanks
S

Siouxsiesue

Thread author
Apr 24, 2012

Hello

Computer is running fine now.
Screens all back to normal and IE running fine.
(Currently running Super Antispyware.)

Have added Comodo firewall as recommended in config section.

Thanks

S

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012

Congratulations!! Your PC is all clean! :D

To uninstall ComboFix

• Click the Start button. Click Run. For Vista: type in Run in the Start search, and click on Run in the results pane.
  • In the field, type in ComboFix /uninstall
Combofix_uninstall_image.jpg

(Note: Make sure there's a space between the word ComboFix and the forward-slash.)

• Then, press Enter, or click OK.
  • This will uninstall ComboFix, delete its folders and files, hides System files and folders, and resets System Restore.

Here are some additional links for you to check out to help you with your computer security.

Browsers

Just because your computer came loaded with Internet Explorer doesn't mean that you have to use it, there are other free alternatives, FIREFOX and OPERA, both are free to use and are more secure than IE.

If you are using firefox you can stay more secure by adding NoScript and WOT (Web Of Trust)

NoScript stops Java scripts from starting on a web page unless you give permission for them, and WOT (Web Of Trust) has a comprehensive list of ratings for different websites allowing you to easily see if a website that you are about to go to has a bad reputation; in fact it will warn you to check if you are sure that you want to continue to a bad website.
  • Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
  • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
  • Click once on the Security tab
  • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
  • Click once on the Custom Level button.
  • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
  • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
  • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
  • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
  • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
  • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
  • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button
  • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
  • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

Cleaning

Now that your PC is free of malware, it is important to clean up your PC. There are several good free cleaners available. You should make sure to clean up your temp files regularly, at least once a week.

ATF Cleaner
CCleaner

Defragmenting Your Hard Disk

Over time your PC can become fragmented, Windows comes with a defragmenting utility, however, it is very slow, and there are other options available.

To use the defragmenter included with Windows either go to Start/Run and type dfrg.msc, hit enter; or
right-click My Computer, choose Manage, Storage, Disk Defragmenter.

In the Defragmenter utility, select your main partition/HD, generally C:\ and select analyze . The analysis report will tell you whether or not your disk needs to be defragmented, if it does, click defragment. Be patient, this can take a long time.

Repeat for multiple partitions/hard disks.

System Restore Cleanup Instructions

If you are using Windows ME or XP then it is good to disable and re-enable system restore to make sure there are no infected files left in a restore point. (All restore points will be deleted that way)
You can find instructions on how to disable and re-enable system restore here:

Windows ME System Restore Guide

Windows XP System Restore Guide

Window Vista and Windows 7

Reading Tip:
Computer Health

Keep Your System Updated

Microsoft releases patches for Windows and Office products regularly to patch up Windows and Office products loopholes and fix any bugs found. Please ensure that you visit the following websites regularly or do update your system regularly.

Install the updates immediately, if they are found. Reboot your computer if necessary, revisit Windows Update and Office update sites until there are no more updates to be installed.

To update Windows and office

Go to Start > All Programs > Microsoft Update

Alternatively, you can visit the link below to update Windows and Office products.

Microsoft Update

If you are forgetful, you can change some settings so that you will be informed of updates. Here's how:

1. Go to Start > Control Panel > Automatic Updates
2. Select Automatic (recommended) radio button if you want the updates to be downloaded and installed without prompting you.
3. Select Download updates for me, but let me chose when to install them radio button if you want the updates to be downloaded automatically but to be installed at another time.4. Select Notify me but don't automatically download or install them radio button if you want to be notified of the updates.

Please make sure that you update your antivirus, firewall and anti-spyware programs at least once a week.

Be careful when opening attachments and downloading files.

1. Never open email attachments, not even if they are from someone you know. If you need to open them, scan them with your antivirus program before opening.
2. Never open emails from unknown senders.
3. Beware of emails that warn about viruses that are spreading, especially those from antivirus vendors. These are called hoaxes. The email addresses used in the hoaxes can be easily spoofed. Check the antivirus vendor websites to be sure.
4. Be careful of what you download. Only download files from known sources. Also, avoid cracked programs. If you need a particular program that costs too much for you, try finding free alternatives on Sourceforge or Pricelessware.

Surf safely

Many security exploits on websites are directed to users of Internet Explorer and Firefox.

If you use Firefox, try the No-script Add On - which, by default, disables all scripts on all websites. If you trust the website, you can manually allow scripts to work.

Backup regularly

You never know when your PC will become unstable or become so infected that you can't recover it. Follow this Microsoft Article to learn how to backup. Follow This Article by Microsoft to restore your backups.

Alternatively, you can use 3rd-party programs to back up your data. Examples of these can be found at
Bleeping Computer

Avoid P2P

We are not here to pass judgment on file-sharing as a concept. However, we will warn you that engaging in this activity and having this kind of software installed on your machine will always make you more susceptible to re-infections. It is certainly contributing to your current situation.

Please note: Even if you are using a "safe" P2P program, it is only the program that is safe. You will be sharing files from uncertified sources, and these are often infected. The bad guys use P2P filesharing as a major conduit to spread their wares.

I would strongly recommend that you uninstall them, however that choice is up to you. If you choose to remove these programs, you can do so via Control Panel >> Add or Remove Programs.

Happy surfing and stay clean!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.