[Solved] Help with Avira detecting Rainmeter and Vice City as threats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akash209

Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2013
Avira is detecting RAINMETER & GTA VICECITY as trojans.... What should I do ?

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
RE: .:Avira Engine Update 7.9.8.34 - 8.2.12.10 :.

Avira Would be detecting RainMeter as suspicious it would not say it as exact particular virus.

& GTA Vice City. You would be using Vice City Trainer. It is Virus.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: [split] Help with Avira detecting Rainmeter and Vice City as threats

Make sure that you have downloaded Rainmeter from the official site:
http://rainmeter.net/cms/

What level of sensitivity has you set AVIRA's Heuristics?

Is it possible for you to upload the detected files to VirusTotal and post the links?

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011

Turn the heuristics sensitivity down a notch.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Akash209 said:

Are you sure that these files are not malicious? I strongly advise you to upload these files to virustotal.com to be scanned for malware.

Next, if the scan results are clean, you can add the detected files to Avira exception list.

How to add an exception for Avira products

1. Right-click the Avira icon in the task bar and select Start AntiVir.
  2. Click Configuration, then click the Expert Mode check box.
  3. Click the + symbol next to Scanner to expand the menu, then click the + symbol next to Scan to expand the menu. Click Exceptions.
  4. Click the Browse icon and navigate through the file system on your computer to the file you want to exclude from on-demand scanning. Highlight the file and click OK Click Add to add it to the exception list.
  5. Click the + symbol next to Guard to expand the menu, then click the + symbol next to Scan. Click Exceptions.
  6. Click the Browse icon in the File Objects to be Omitted by the Guard pane. Navigate to the location of the file you want to exclude from on-access scanning, highlight it and click OK. Click Add to add it to the exception list.
  7. Click Apply.
  8. Click OK to close the Configuration window.

P

Plexx

Some GTA Vice City trainers are unfortunately loaded with old infections. Others, are just false positive since some way or another CheatEngine was used and CE is detected as a PUP usually (the one from the actual official site and scripts compiled by the user himself and not downloadable ones).

Akash209

Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2013

Plexx said:
Some GTA Vice City trainers are unfortunately loaded with old infections. Others, are just false positive since some way or another CheatEngine was used and CE is detected as a PUP usually (the one from the actual official site and scripts compiled by the user himself and not downloadable ones).

This is the OLD one (May be).... Yah.. its not downloaded by the official site but its a progam similar to GTA VICECITY(some changes with grafics)

Akash209

Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2013
RE: .:Avira Engine Update 7.9.8.34 - 8.2.12.10 :.

MrExplorer said:
Avira Would be detecting RainMeter as suspicious it would not say it as exact particular virus.

& GTA Vice City. You would be using Vice City Trainer. It is Virus.

It say that the Rainmeter file is Some "Gen........." virus and VICECITY as "TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen" .....

And only 3 engine in Virus total is identify this As virus..!!! Avira, Mcafee, Vipre....

(I use RAINMETER 2.5.0 beta r1781 32-bit (Jan 27 2013)
Path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\Akash\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
SkinPath: C:\Users\Akash\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\)

Akash209

Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2013

Earth said:
Make sure that you have downloaded Rainmeter from the official site:
http://rainmeter.net/cms/

What level of sensitivity has you set AVIRA's Heuristics?

Is it possible for you to upload the detected files to VirusTotal and post the links?

Yeah.. i download rainmeter in official site..
DETAILS:
Rainmeter 2.5.0 beta r1781 32-bit (Jan 27 2013)
Path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\Akash\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
SkinPath: C:\Users\Akash\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\

And in any level like low, midium and high it dectes and booring me..!!!

Akash209

Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2013

Jack said:
Akash209 said:

Are you sure that these files are not malicious? I strongly advise you to upload these files to virustotal.com to be scanned for malware.

Next, if the scan results are clean, you can add the detected files to Avira exception list.

How to add an exception for Avira products

1. Right-click the Avira icon in the task bar and select Start AntiVir.
  2. Click Configuration, then click the Expert Mode check box.
  3. Click the + symbol next to Scanner to expand the menu, then click the + symbol next to Scan to expand the menu. Click Exceptions.
  4. Click the Browse icon and navigate through the file system on your computer to the file you want to exclude from on-demand scanning. Highlight the file and click OK Click Add to add it to the exception list.
  5. Click the + symbol next to Guard to expand the menu, then click the + symbol next to Scan. Click Exceptions.
  6. Click the Browse icon in the File Objects to be Omitted by the Guard pane. Navigate to the location of the file you want to exclude from on-access scanning, highlight it and click OK. Click Add to add it to the exception list.
  7. Click Apply.
  8. Click OK to close the Configuration window.

Thank you i try.!

Akash209

Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2013

I SEND these Files in VIRUS total and Avira..!!!
In VIRUSTOTAL only 3 engines r dects as virus Avira, Mcafee And Vipre....!!! I send a email to AVIRA for these r FALSE Positive..!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Can you also post the VirusTotal Links in your reply here.

P

Plexx

Akash209 said:
This is the OLD one (May be).... Yah.. its not downloaded by the official site but its a progam similar to GTA VICECITY(some changes with grafics)

Ah the modified version. It is safe. Only problem is the possible false positive on some vendors. Nothing major, if it is the version I am thinking of.

There is one version however that is only available on torrents that is infected, but that version does not have changes on graphics etc. It has some tweaks and as well as a keylogger tho.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011

Certain Vice-city mods especially if you bought them from your local pirate DVD fellow has chat engine scripts. These are usually flagged as suspicious and as Trojans. Not only Avira but other antiviruses like Kaspersky also does it.
Just in case scan those files with MBAM and see the results.
And vice-city trainers are not viruses mr. explorer. They are just hacks and are detected suspicious.

Akash by the way do you use Vice City Punjab/Mumbai City or Star Island mod? As these ones are falled as viruses by many AVs.

Akash209

Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2013

malbky said:
Certain Vice-city mods especially if you bought them from your local pirate DVD fellow has chat engine scripts. These are usually flagged as suspicious and as Trojans. Not only Avira but other antiviruses like Kaspersky also does it.
Just in case scan those files with MBAM and see the results.
And vice-city trainers are not viruses mr. explorer. They are just hacks and are detected suspicious.

Akash by the way do you use Vice City Punjab/Mumbai City or Star Island mod? As these ones are falled as viruses by many AVs.

I use Vicecity 4 & "vicecity myriad island", where as vicecity myriad island shows as virus..!

Earth said:
Can you also post the VirusTotal Links in your reply here.

link of virustotal:
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/87c4867479f6a4e6f3411dd73c53b65b79683dab6b113356afa808cecf457ff8/analysis/ :link:

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012

malbky, Avira would be detecting as PUP's

P

Plexx

VC Myriad Island (at least 2 versions available on reliable Torrent sources) are detected but are FPs. Beware of the one where you will usually get a keylogger style alert from most vendors. That one is not really safe. Use it at your own risk.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

If you believe that those files are really legit from its sources then that's an FP since it has a sensitive detection.

Pretty sure for Rainmeter could be FP however the GTA Vice City Game could be vary since some malware are depicting similar applications.

Akash209

Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2013

[PROBLEM SOLVED]
Avira with today's update not detected Rain-meter as a Virus... But still show Vicecity as Trojan, i think bcz of no sig. update of the game..!!!
Thank you guys for help..!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.