Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
SSD not recognised in mycomputer
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
switching sata ports,reset bios to default,looking for drivers
Weird thing is windows deteced my hard drive device and installed it as its listed under device manager but its not listed under My Computer. on the bios of my mobo theres 2 boot options windows boot manager and my hard drive which isnt ssd, windows boots from windows boot manager not my mechanical hdd. but when i go to select the boot device my ssd is listed there i dunno what to do please help

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Weird thing is windows deteced my hard drive device and installed it as its listed under device manager but its not listed under My Computer. on the bios of my mobo theres 2 boot options windows boot manager and my hard drive which isnt ssd, windows boots from windows boot manager not my mechanical hdd. but when i go to select the boot device my ssd is listed there i dunno what to do please help
Did you follow these instructions - http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005707en ?

The BIOS does not detect or recognize the Solid State Drive
Tips and tricks for troubleshooting an internal SSD that is not detected in the BIOS.
There are four main reasons why a system BIOS will not detect the presence of an internal Solid State Drive. The following are not in any particular order, but you can follow these steps one by one to troubleshoot this problem:

1. Drive not enabled in the BIOS

2. Serial ATA drivers are not properly installed

3. Faulty or unplugged data cable

4. Faulty SSD

Read more: http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005707en

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
i sorted it out it had unallocated space under disk managment so i just gave it a letter and its there now :£
This happens quite often in Windows 7. Usually it will happen when using a USB external drive. Even though the drive is connected you cannot find it listed in My Computer.Accessing disk management you will see your other Hard Drive(s) & the unallocated space without a letter.Giving the unallocated space a letter solves this problem every time.
This is a good reference for those who come across this problem which can be solved quite easily in a couple steps.Glad you got it fixed :)

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.