Some RAM picking help

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsm0220

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
I need some RAM picking help i want to use 64 GBs of ram, but i need to know where i can get RAM of that size to play pc games and multitasking software and make the pc last for 10 years.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Games won't use anywhere near that much memory; they are only 32-bit.

For general multitasking and gaming, 8GB is sufficient, 16GB is plenty. I can have a 4GB VM, several Chrome tabs, PDF reader, NetBeans, a few other misc programs and a game running all at once and still not use all my 8GB and everything alt-tabs instantly.

Imaging/desktop publishing would benefit from more RAM--how much these days, I don't know; perhaps someone with recent experience can chime in on that if you do those sorts of things.

Additionally, you'll have to check your motherboard manual and your OS for limitations (Win7 Home Prem max is 16GB).

RAM would be low on the list to give your PC longevity and, after 10 years, the platform would have changed once or twice at least, not to mention CPU architecture, host bus changes (especially video card interface), etc.

If you're a gamer, the video card is the top priority.

As for RAM-picking, I like Mushkin. They deliver top speeds without increasing voltage and they are priced very well. The only downside is you may have to hunt a little to find some that aren't backordered. I don't care for Crucial or Corsair (I've had too many RMAs with those guys) and definitely not OCZ (junk..if they're even still in business).

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013

For general multitasking and gaming, 8GB is sufficient, 16GB is plenty. I can have a 4GB VM, several Chrome tabs, PDF reader, NetBeans, a few other misc programs and a game running all at once and still not use all my 8GB and everything alt-tabs instantly.

Imaging/desktop publishing would benefit from more RAM--how much these days, I don't know; perhaps someone with recent experience can chime in on that if you do those sorts of things.

Additionally, you'll have to check your motherboard manual and your OS for limitations (Win7 Home Prem max is 16GB).

RAM would be low on the list to give your PC longevity and, after 10 years, the platform would have changed once or twice at least, not to mention CPU architecture, host bus changes (especially video card interface), etc.

As for RAM-picking, I like Mushkin. They deliver top speeds without increasing voltage and they are priced very well. The only downside is you may have to hunt a little to find some that aren't backordered. I don't care for Crucial or Corsair (I've had too many RMAs with those guys) and definitely not OCZ (junk..if they're even still in business).
Such valuable information to know. Thank you for all of it!:):)

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012

Very good points however some games are native 64bit!
I have some flight sim software which is 64bit>>As an example:
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/
Having said that 64GIG is overkill for gaming unless you are doing high end video editing,or 3d rendering with apps such as 3d studio max etc!!
Ram wise I prefer Gskill:
http://www.gskill.com/en/

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In such cycle you need to consider first the processor, number of cores, graphics card and lastly the RAM.

Because the first three mention will show you how optimization of games can do and RAM is secondary for accumulation of memory.

That's why my classmate prefer more on video/graphics for games than in RAM because of its benefits to play any intensive games.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I think 16GB of ram would be plenty and as @jamescv7 above stated some things are more important to consider.
You can get ram from most online stores such as Newegg,Tiger direct,etc. however that much ram is going to come at a bit of a cost also depending on the Manufacturer,speed,CAS Latency,etc.
For gaming your money would be better spent on a graphics card.You could upgrade to a pretty wicked graphics card for the same price as 64GB of ram is going to cost you.
The processor,motherboard and graphics cards are the upgrades that will enable your PC to keep up with the ever changing advances in computing and gaming.

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
First it would be great if you could tell whether you are upgrading RAM in your current PC or building a new PC.

Right now, 99.99% of MB's support only DDR3 RAM. So if you buy 64GB or DDR3 RAM then after 3yrs it will become old technology (as DDR2 is now) and it won't be able to keep up with your requirements.

DDR4 RAM support will be added with the upcoming Intel's Skylake architecture & AMD's Zen architecture.

So don't spend on 64GB of RAM and post your PC config.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.