Spy on the spies! App sniffing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneeye

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
"The Truth About Smartphone Apps That Secretly Connect to User Tracking and Ad Sites

Security researchers have developed an automated system for detecting Android apps that secretly connect to ad sites and user tracking sites."

Hi everyone,

This new research done by EURECOM's mobile division shows just how much some apps are communicating behind our backs. They have developed an app that is in playstore beta (by invitation only just now) but provide a link to the APK. Package in their research paper. I will provide a Google drive doc's link to the paper. And one of the researchers has told me I can forward others names and email to be added to the beta list.

The app creates a local proxy on Android phones to filter the connections your apps are making in the background. This works even in https because of a certificate installed on the phone. The devices do NOT need to be rooted!. There is one popular app,"Music Volume EQ" that connected to over 2000 distinct URL's ! These are to tracking and advertisers.

Please read the article,and the 20 page research paper before trying to install the APK.package. And those wishing to do this thru playstore need to PM me with your name and email so you can be added thru the developers console. Sorry,no g+ page yet. Here is research paper link.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8BKcGjftESXelBiYXNkUnRvajQ/edit?usp=docslist_api

The APK.link needs to be copied out of research paper. It is live,as I tested it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.