Startup Repair virus problem

alanp4

Thread author
May 3, 2014
If I try to start up my laptop, I get a screen offering either 'Startup Repair' or 'Start windows normally'. The second option isn't available, and I don't want to use Startup Repair as I think it's a virus.
I've created a startup disc on the computer I'm using now, inserted it into the infected maxchine andpressed F8. I chose 'repair your computer', but when I get to typing in the password for my account, the keyboard won't work.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Hi,

Do you have USB flash and access to another PC? Also, tell me is your keyboard USB or PS/2?

Can you access BIOS?

alanp4

Thread author
May 3, 2014
Thanks for the prompt reply and I should say straight away that you're dealing with a complete novice here. I'm presuming that a USB flash is what I'd call a memory stick. If so, yes I have. I don't know which keyboard I have, but it's the same as the one I'm using, so is there a way to find out?
As for the BIOs, I just don't know!

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Just unplug your keyboard and you will know by this image:

ps2-v-usb.jpg

Is this laptop, PC or branded computer? If so, tell me which manufacturer and model.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
We're in deadlock :)

Can you tell me what is the manufacturer and model? You can see it from the back side of your Laptop. Also, do you have another USB keyboard to borrow?

alanp4

Thread author
May 3, 2014
The infected machine is an Acer Aspire 5552 laptop. The one I'm using now is an an Acer Aspire 5745G but I don't have a separate keyboard to hand.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Do you have install disk with you? I really don't know why your keyboard isn't working in recovery with your recovery CD. Can you access recovery without CD, by using Repair your computer when you boot.

alanp4

Thread author
May 3, 2014
Do you have install disk with you? I really don't know why your keyboard isn't working in recovery with your recovery CD. Can you access recovery without CD, by using Repair your computer when you boot.
Now when I try to start without the disk it doesn't show the 'Startup Repair' screen. It takes me to the correct logon screen, but I still can't type in my password. I don't have an install disk. Apologies for being so unhelpful, but I'm not so good at this sort of stuff.

alanp4

Thread author
May 3, 2014
Can you tell me how you created startup disk and what recovery you used?
These are the steps that I followed:
  1. Place a blank DVD-R or DVD+R disc into your PC’s optical drive.
    Use the +R format for creating optical data discs.
    The optical disc must be blank. If it’s not blank, the operation fails.
  2. Dismiss the AutoPlay (or any other) dialog box that pops up, asking what to do with the disc.
  3. Press Win+R to summon the Run window.
  4. Type recdisc and click the OK button.
  5. In Windows Vista, click the Continue button or type the administrator’s password to continue.
    A window appears, prompting you to select an optical drive in which to create the recovery disc.
  6. Choose your PC’s recordable optical drive from the menu button.
  7. Click the Create Disc button.
  8. Wait.
    The process takes some time.
    After the disc has been created, a new dialog box appears on the screen. You deal with the dialog box soon enough, but for now:
  9. Remove the disc from the PC’s optical drive.
I then put the disc into the infected machine, held down F8 and got to 'Repair your computer' but had the keybooard problem when I tried to enter my password

alanp4

Thread author
May 3, 2014
I'm pretty sure I did, but just to make sure, I'll try it agai. One thought did occur to me: when I was asked 'what type of keyboard?' when using the recovery disk, I initially chose UK. However, I've since tried again, choosing the default US and it makes no difference.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Try these instructions:

Ok, we will burn required tools on your USB.

Please download the following tools on your Desktop:
  1. Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64
  2. Rufus
  3. Windows 7 RC x64

• Insert your USB and then start Rufus
  • Select the ISO file win7 64bit rc.iso on the desktop via the ISO icon.

16kbazl.jpg

• Under the Device select your USB Flash.
  • Press Start
  • When the process is complete, copy Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 on this USB
  • Insert USB into infected computer and power on the computer. Now you need to set your computer to boot from USB. In order to do that, follow this guide.
  • When you boot from USB, you will see image like this:
2mo49iw.jpg

• Click Repair your computer
  • Follow the prompt to enter keyboard input method, and then the prompt to enter a password. If the machine does not have a password, simply click Enter.
In the next menu, use the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight Command Prompt and press Enter.
  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • When notepad opens, click File and select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst64.exe and press Enter.
Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.

It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please attach it to your reply.

alanp4

Thread author
May 3, 2014
Thanks for your patience, but I think we've probably gone as far as we can go. I started to go through those steps and thought I was finally getting there, when I tried to enter my password and it started typing. However, it then told me that the password was incorrect, because Caps Lock was on. When I turned Caps Lock off the first dot appeared on the password. I then couldn't delete it. I tried again, holding down the Shift key, but again it didn't work. I don't know where we go from here.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Can you try several times to type in your password? Try to change users and try again. Are you sure you have password, try leaving the field empty.

alanp4

Thread author
May 3, 2014
Can you try several times to type in your password? Try to change users and try again. Are you sure you have password, try leaving the field empty.
I definitely have a password. I've tried it again and again with no luck. I tried the Homegroup user with the same result. When I press caps lock, it adds a dot into the password field.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Unfortunatelly I cannot help you about this. I give you the instructions, and I really don't know how is that happening, seeing this first time. Try something...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.