Battle Sticky Password vs LastPass

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MalwareT

Thread author
Which password manager is best in your opinion ? I'd like to use one of them but i want to hear your opinions :)

Reactions: FreddyFreeloader

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
I haven't used sticky password because its not free. If you want completely free password manager then go for LP, otherwise try them both and choose whichever you like.

Reactions: MalwareT

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I'd never thought of using a password manager until LastPass was recommended (I think) on my configuration. Thanks @exterminator20 !!:):) Of the two mentioned I've only used LastPass, ..so it's not hard to guess which I voted for!;):p Prior to this I'd often forget some of the obscure or little used passwords I'd thought up but rarely used,:rolleyes: but since turning to the LastPass side of the Forcem life has been noticeably easier!
Some things I especially like:
  • Letting LastPass log the user "in" automatically, or not, is optional. Just <click> on a site from the vault or to go to my site via my own bookmark. Then it's up to the user to click on the asterisk and click on the highlighted name followed by the log in button and you're in! There are options for filling in fields too.
  • When I've forgotten to close the vault, LastPass logs me off automatically, although passwords cannot be extracted or even seen without using the master password a second time (this dual confirmation must be activated by the user). So, always close the vault as it's just a click away.;)
  • LastPass's secure password generator. I've used this to create 18 to 20 character passwords some of which I do not even know myself!o_O
  • It's like having an alternate bookmarks list that's securely stored too!
I too have wondered about LastPass being attacked (it's the paranoid voice that repeats: "What if..?") just as emanueliulian was concerned about Sticky Password's site being hacked into. I feel quite confident LastPass continues to remain extremely secure as they know none of our passwords only providing the means by which to access them using a master password.

There's been only one occasion I could not log on to LastPass. This was because of a server problem which cleared up within a few minutes. As a fail safe I'd decided to write two of the longer unknown passwords on a 3 by 5 card just in case. Before I could retrieve them, I was required to re-enter my master password a second time,o_O this in order to reveal the characters which were displayed only as black dots. I felt like James Bond (or Austin Powers!) passing through security obstacles which truly speaks well for LastPass' verification methods!:p:D Most of all, I feel secure; and I have not had to refer to my 3 by 5 card cheat sheet (so cleverly hidden ;) where no one can ever find it) and may never have to.:)

Bottom line:
  • I'll remain open to trying others, but I probably won't need to because...
LastPass ROCKS!!:D

PS I'll also second Fantasy's observation, users with LastPass don't need to install a full program. Neither do they have to use a binary file while still making use of their free extension/add-on.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Welldone and Kent

Luke Redding

Sep 15, 2014
i am using Sticky Password for a week and i am preaty happy with it. The only thing that bugs me is that it syncs all pass online...what happends if there system will be hacked?

I use Sticky Password for couple years now and they offer online or offline synchronization. It depends solely on you which version will you choose. And since their data are on Amazon, if Amazon gets hacked, you are screwed all over since many services are there. However if someone will even get the database - without Master Password it is worthless.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I use Sticky Password for couple years now and they offer online or offline synchronization. It depends solely on you which version will you choose. And since their data are on Amazon, if Amazon gets hacked, you are screwed all over since many services are there. However if someone will even get the database - without Master Password it is worthless.
I agree with Luke, it depends on which version you choose.:)

Here's a statement I read from Sticky Password:
"Only you know your Master Password. The authentication that takes place when Sticky Password syncs or performs a backup to the cloud (Sticky Password uses Amazon cloud services for our backend services) involves only your StickyID (your email address) and your StickyPass – which is different to your Master Password. For syncing and backing up to the backend servers, only the encrypted database is sent over the Internet, so even if an attacker were lucky enough to catch the communication he wouldn’t be able access the encrypted data inside the DB."

Hm, sounds a lot like LastPass too!;):D
Read the entire page here: http://blogen.stickypassword.com/sticky-password-and-the-heartbleed-bug/
Update: Huracan is right.
This morning, when I'd opened IE to make a phone call using Google Talk I missed LastPass.
Bottom line: Since I haven't installed the Universal download for LastPass + IE (*laughing* :D) I was "LastPass-less"!!:p So (finally) I did have to break out my 3 by 5 cheat sheet card after all. This so I could manually enter the nineteen character password I'll never ever have to memorize!:rolleyes:
..and as Luke Redding mentions below, there are choices you have between the different on-line & off-line versions & their options.
Someday, I may go with LastPass premiumto access two step authentication:cool: as @Welldone has doneWell (..sorry, I couldn't resist!!:p:D).

Last edited:

tarrybear

Mar 9, 2015
i am using Sticky Password for a week and i am preaty happy with it. The only thing that bugs me is that it syncs all pass online...what happends if there system will be hacked?
You can deselect that sync option in the license version. It isn't even an option (sync to cloud) in the free version, although, since you get a trial premium right off the bat, you may have to deselect it right off the bat. If, after 30 days you don't purchase it, that sync option goes away anyway.

Last Pass is intrusive, clunky and annoying, always popping itself up to want something. With Sticky Password, once I set up the options, it works in the background automatically. If I want to check it or change it, it is always there on the browser toolbar or in the computer toolbar or even as a shortcut on the desktop. Wonderful! By the way, I've been involved in computers for twenty years, still learning but I know what works for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well as long it meets the preference to secure password without any troubles then the two mentioned comparison deserved recognition. ;)

I've used Lastpass before, and pop up from the browser is not an issue though caused If I'm not mistaken you can click never ask, the design is to log in quickly without any typing matters.

Secondary verification is also good for Lastpass but that's depends for those who willingly wanted extra secure and random password generator which very common to all password manager software.

;)

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
Sticky Password Pro works better with several gmail accounts, but everything is encrypted on your hard drive and if it gets damaged or destroyed you better have printed out all those urls, usernames, passwords. I also like Sticky because it puts an Icon on Internet Explorer that is right up there next to the minimize button and does not put a toolbar on IE.
LastPass has some trouble handling multiple Google accounts (using Maxthon.) But, all your accounts are uploaded to their cloud so if something happens to your machine you can still access your all your account information.
Either one works for me so I straddle the fence and vote for both.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
I use Sticky Password, and I'm happy with this program, I've never had trouble with it.
I do not have to login program still does it for me for various ston where I have an account and it is convenient.
the choice of which program you choose is a matter of each individual and depends on what good fit.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.