strange text from 9355

oneeye

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
Hi all,

I received a text at 12:56 am from a number 9355.

Here is a screenshot of message I deleted to be on safe side. Can anyone help me find out who and what this is? I recently had a hangouts conversation with an app developer in east Africa,and then I get this strage text. Now it did come at the same time as a promotion from sprit,but that could be coincidental. Thanks
Screenshot_2014-11-11-02-50-30.png

sk3llgamerZDay

Level 2
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
Sounds like those Africans are trying to sell you elephants! lol. No really they were probably lying as they usually do. It's their daily job to scam people. x.x Can't they work at a legit company or whatever? Eh enough ranting hopefully that guy wasn't one of those scammers.

oneeye

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
Thanks! No,the guy is legit,and in playstore. He actually has a brother here who is a rather renouned physicists and helped him to get his app in playstore. His access to the web is over WiFi I think,and he may be compromised. His internet or email communications are a little sporatic. He lives in Eretria,and is lucky to have phones and internet in the first place.

There were mentioned in Google search this same 9355 sms address but it may be a virus. Was hoping someone here could look into it for me? Thanks for responding anyways.

sk3llgamerZDay

Level 2
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
Thanks! No,the guy is legit,and in playstore. He actually has a brother here who is a rather renouned physicists and helped him to get his app in playstore. His access to the web is over WiFi I think,and he may be compromised. His internet or email communications are a little sporatic. He lives in Eretria,and is lucky to have phones and internet in the first place.

There were mentioned in Google search this same 9355 sms address but it may be a virus. Was hoping someone here could look into it for me? Thanks for responding anyways.
Have you tried using Malwarebytes anti-malware Andriod or use Avast! Anti-theft, maybe?

oneeye

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
Yes, Eritrea, sorry i was in a hurry. I was not going to click something I have no idea what it is! I o have Malwarebytes mobile,look at screenshot. I have Avast too, but disabled right now,true ast udate I think was causing some issues,I'm still testing. I would use it if needed, but don't have any problems now.

sk3llgamerZDay

Level 2
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
Yes, Eritrea, sorry i was in a hurry. I was not going to click something I have no idea what it is! I o have Malwarebytes mobile,look at screenshot. I have Avast too, but disabled right now,true ast udate I think was causing some issues,I'm still testing. I would use it if needed, but don't have any problems now.

:) Good to know.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.