Suspicious baidu connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

rienna

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 28, 2015
I decided to turn on my desktop which I forgot still had Baidu installed.
And guess what killswitch finds?
Dozens of mysterious connections to facebook.com and other servers that are preeetttty suspicious.
Unfortunately everytime I hit CRTL+ALT+PRINTSCREEN it would close them so I couldn't get a good screenshot. I did manage to get one of them copied at least that kept closing. It was.

hxxp://edge-star-shv-01-ord1.facebook.com/

And some other names.
These were produced by the so called "Baidu hips" service (Bhipsvc.dll or whatever. I turned it off out of disgust but if I can find a free video (Screen) recording software I might try to catch it in the act, preferably sometime when I'm not still feeling sick.

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
baidu antivirus is cloud based. so it will connect to its servers.
it needs to connect its update server.
URL protection will connect to its servers to check if a given URL is safe or not.

Bryan Lam

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2015
Does it really need to connect to facebook though? I mean its Antivirus. Unless its like Qihoo 360 which asks to connect to facebook i suspect something is up

Reactions: rienna

rienna

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 28, 2015
Not that I'm aware of.
I never even signed onto facebook with that computer.
And I'm pretty sure said suspect servers have nothing to do with "URL protection" or its "Cloud protection".
Again I'll check it when I'm not feeling sick.

I merely fired up my desktop earlier because I found onedrive had backed up a spigot infection malwarebytes had not found on my laptop before, low-and behold it was my desktop which had uploaded a backup to my onedrive INCLUDING spigot (mind you fresh install of Windows, other than Windows update it's only been to Adblockplus.org, malwarebytes.org, and antivirus.baidu.com, iobit.com (I've had good results with their defragger and driver program though there may be better available) and of course comodo.com) . And I wanted to make sure no other problems were present, then I saw that.

Edit: And I never saw an option to "sign in" to my facebook on it either.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I merely fired up my desktop earlier because I found onedrive had backed up a spigot infection malwarebytes had not found on my laptop before, low-and behold it was my desktop which had uploaded a backup to my onedrive INCLUDING spigot (mind you fresh install of Windows, other than Windows update it's only been to Adblockplus.org, malwarebytes.org, and antivirus.baidu.com, iobit.com (I've had good results with their defragger and driver program though there may be better available) and of course comodo.com) . And I wanted to make sure no other problems were present, then I saw that..

Spigot is bundled with some IObit software. Not sure how OneDrive could have backed up Spigot, unless you have extra folders synced with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.