Guide | How To Svchost. EXE, program to understand what processes start

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
L

LabZero

Thread author
Hello,

Often we notice that our computer slows down and doing Ctrl + ALT + DELETE, the allocated memory is high, with many svchost.exe processes open, behind which may be hidden useful services to the computer or even viruses and trojans. Now we will see how to understand what services and what exactly is svchost.exe.

Cattura.PNG

Svchost.exe

Svchost.exe is a Windows process that it contains other individual services used for different functions. On your pc can be several svchost.exe processes running, and each instance can have different services.

Let's see now what services there are inside each svchost.exe process.

To do this we will use this tool: https://svchostviewer.codeplex.com/

Cattura1.PNG

This program gives us a lot of useful information (run as administrator)

- The number of open processes Svchost.exe
- The services contained within each Svchost.exe process
- The memory used by each process and each content service
- Process ID
- Description of each service started
- The Path (location) of the process

everything what we need, in addition, this program does not require any installation, just launch it!

Finally, once you've seen the services started, just use Google to find out what they are and what services are suspected behind which you can hide viruses or trojans.

LongTimeUserZA

Aug 15, 2015
I have Windows 7, and normally I try to avoid installing software that will show me the same information that I can get using Windows own tools. To know what services are running under Svchost.exe, I use the Resource monitor (Task Manager-->Performance, and then Resource Monitor). Under CPU tab I can see any services and Apps that are running. And using services.msc, I can change any service.

I know there is a way to get the same info using commands under DOS

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Command Line Interface: tasklist OR wmic process get description,executablepath

Powershell: get-process

Not sure if this will work for you as it seems you want a process-tree that links parent-child processes...

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Sysinternals Process Explorer does good job in this case for me. Only problem I have with svchost is sometimes when Windows Update service gets cranky and hogs CPU to 100%.

wuauclt.exe hogging up to 100 % CPU at times is normal Windows behavior...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.