SweetPacks Related Internet Explorer Issues

caseypons

Thread author
Oct 2, 2013
In Summary; I followed the procedures outlined in Malware-Tips instructional for removal of Sweetpacks Toolbar, utilizing my 3 sources of Security posted above and until I discovered the alert from Avast, that they could not auto-upgrade WMSIE-7, I thought I had rid my system of SweetPacks. I sent a private message to Malware-Tps staff member and they suggested I post my issues here.

I did not download and/or run Adware Cleaner, or Hitman Pro because I received a warning on both attempts that they were (possible sites) that could harm my System, so I tried Avast, SuperAnti-Spyware, And Malwarebytes as they were already residing on my system and have been for around 4 years, and they have been adequate to remove any malicious detection's since I installed them.

That is pretty much the scenario, and I have not gone to WMS for assistance with this issue. I thought I would try to rectify this IE access issue with Malware-Tips as, you have been an excellent source of informational and technical instruction to the letter.

Thank you very much for your assistance during these trying few weeks.

Sincerely,

Casey Pons

PS Comcast has been no help what-so-ever, and they are why I am here in the first place. Not my way of doing business, and/or customer service.

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
Hi and welcome to the malwaretips.com forums!

I'm Kuttus and I am going to try to assist you with your problem. Please take note of the below:
  • I will start working on your malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine!
  • The process is not instant. Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine is clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
  • If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
  • Refrain from running self fixes as this will hinder the malware removal process.
  • It may prove beneficial if you print of the following instructions or save them to notepad as I post them.
Your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use. Be assured, any links I give are safe.

Before we start:
Please be aware that removing malware is a potentially hazardous undertaking. I will take care not to knowingly suggest courses of action that might damage your computer. However it is impossible for me to foresee all interactions that may happen between the software on your computer and those we'll use to clear you of infection, and I cannot guarantee the safety of your system. It is possible that we might encounter situations where the only recourse is to re-format and re-install your operating system, or to necessitate you taking your computer to a repair shop.

Because of this, I advise you to backup any personal files and folders before you start.
<hr />

STEP 1: Run a scan with AdwCleaner

<ol><li>Download AdwCleaner from the below link.
<><a href="http://general-changelog-team.fr/fr/downloads/finish/20-outils-de-xplode/2-adwcleaner" target="_blank">ADWCLEANER DOWNLAOD LINK</a></> (This link will automatically download Security Check on your computer)</li>

<li>Close all open programs and internet browsers.</li>
<li>Double click on <>adwcleaner.exe</> to run the tool.</li>
<li>Click on <>Delete</>,then confirm each time with <>Ok</>.</li>
<li>Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.</li>
<li>Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.</li>
<li>You can find the logfile at <>C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt</> as well.</li>
</ol>
<hr/>

STEP 2: Run a scan with Junkware Removal Tool

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop from here
  • Turn off your antivirus software now to avoid potential conflicts
  • Double-click to run the tool. For Windows Vista or 7 users, right-click the file and select Run as Administrator
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) will be saved to your desktop and will automatically open
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next reply

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit from here to your Desktop
  • Unzip the contents to a folder on your Desktop.
  • Open the folder where the contents were unzipped and run mbar.exe
  • Follow the instructions in the wizard to update and allow the program to scan your computer for threats.
  • Make sure there is a check next to Create Restore Point and click the Cleanup button to remove any threats. Reboot if prompted to do so.
  • After the reboot, perform another scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit to verify that no threats remain. If there are threats, click Cleanup once more and reboot.
  • When done, please post the two logs in the MBAR folder(mbar-log.txt and system-log.txt)

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • When it prompts you to try their 30-day trail, click decline
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is Checked (ticked) except items in the C:\System Volume Information folder and click on Remove Selected.
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. please copy and paste the log into your next reply
    • If you accidently close it, the log file is saved here and will be named like this:
    • C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-date (time).txt

Last edited by a moderator:

caseypons

Thread author
Oct 2, 2013
kuttus said:
Hi and welcome to the malwaretips.com forums!

I'm Kuttus and I am going to try to assist you with your problem.

Hello Kuttus,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply regarding my situation. My first question is; Is it advisable to download any more Anti-Adware while I have the three mentioned security programs residing on my computer. Should I un-install any and/or all of my existing software programs first?
And...is there any risk in the download sites that they also may have malicious threats bundled within. I guess I am a little gun-shy at this point. Just trying to be very cautious, as I hope you can understand.

Thank You,

Casey

caseypons

Thread author
Oct 2, 2013
kuttus said:
Didn't get any replay....

I am having problems communicating and navigating on this website.
Whether it be me and my unfamiliarity with it or what, I do not know.
I had asked if there were problems downloading and running adwarecleaner,
with my residing Avast, Super Anri-Spyware and Malwarebytes programs installed on my system.

I am not going to do anything else until I hear back from you. I come from a 40 year background in Voice Telecom, and not Data, and this time lag, mis-cues with typing is very frustrating.

caseypons

Thread author
Oct 2, 2013
caseypons said:
kuttus said:

with my residing Avast, Super Anri-Spyware and Malwarebytes programs installed on my system.

I am not going to do anything else until I hear back from you. I come from a 40 year background in Voice Telecom, and not Data, and this time lag, mis-cues with typing is very frustrating.

I am very confused and frustrated. I need more precise instruction as none of what I have communicated has been acknowledged.

I cannot open Internet Explorer, so I can't back-up my system files and folders.

I download Adware-Cleaner and I have no clue what to do with it. As your instructions make no sense to me as I look at the downloaded software program. Very Frustrating!!!!

caseypons

Thread author
Oct 2, 2013
caseypons said:
caseypons said:
kuttus said:

I am very confused and frustrated. I need more precise instruction as none of what I have communicated has been acknowledged.

I cannot open Internet Explorer, so I can't back-up my system files and folders.

I download Adware-Cleaner and I have no clue what to do with it. As your instructions make no sense to me as I look at the downloaded software program. Very Frustrating!!!!

The AdWare program does not resemble how you discribed it, so I do not know what to do....
Please advise....

Alexander Graham Bell once said: "If god intended us to type to communicate with one another, he would have never had me invent the telephone!" Ha, Ha, Ha!!!

503.580.0269 Operators standing by to take your call!

Peace,

Casey

caseypons

Thread author
Oct 2, 2013
caseypons said:
caseypons said:
caseypons said:
kuttus said:

The AdWare program does not resemble how you discribed it, so I do not know what to do....
Please advise....

Alexander Graham Bell once said: "If god intended us to type to communicate with one another, he would have never had me invent the telephone!" Ha, Ha, Ha!!!

503.580.0269 Operators standing by to take your call!

Peace,

Casey

I understand you are a very busy person, and so I will just wait for your instruction....
Thank You,

Casey

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
Sorry for the Late Repaly caseypons.

<><a href="http://general-changelog-team.fr/fr/downloads/finish/20-outils-de-xplode/2-adwcleaner" target="_blank">ADWCLEANER DOWNLAOD LINK</a></> (This link will automatically download Security Check on your computer)</li>

<li>Click on <>Scan</>,then confirm each time with <>Ok</>.</li>
<li>After the Scan is Over press on Clean ,then confirm each time with <>Ok</>.
</li>
<li>Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.</li>
</ol>
<hr/>

caseypons

Thread author
Oct 2, 2013
kuttus said:

</li>
</ol>
<hr/>

Once again, I am a little confused as to what you are asking from me as I do not see any Log File. When my computer re-boots a notepad appears with the following information:

# AdwCleaner v3.007 - Report created 10/10/2013 at 18:36:54
# Updated 09/10/2013 by Xplode
# Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (32 bits)
# Username : Owner - OWNER-532735D01
# Running from : C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.OWNER-532735D01\My Documents\Downloads\adwcleaner (4).exe
# Option : Clean

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Files / Folders ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

***** [ Browsers ] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v7.0.6000.21357

-\\ Mozilla Firefox v

-\\ Google Chrome v

AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [6495 octets] - [10/10/2013 08:18:21]
AdwCleaner[R1].txt - [6555 octets] - [10/10/2013 18:17:10]
AdwCleaner[R2].txt - [920 octets] - [10/10/2013 18:34:44]
AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [6788 octets] - [10/10/2013 18:18:52]
AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [842 octets] - [10/10/2013 18:36:54]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [901 octets] ##########

Kuttus,

If this information is not what you are looking for, maybe you can call me and we can speak realtime, as this would alieviate any of the frustration we are both having. That way there is (no) confusion.

Sincerely,

Casey Pons

caseypons

Thread author
Oct 2, 2013
caseypons said:
kuttus said:

</li>
</ol>
<hr/>

Once again, I am a little confused as to what you are asking from me as I do not see any Log File. When my computer re-boots a notepad appears with the following information:

# Running from : C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.OWNER-532735D01\My Documents\Downloads\adwcleaner (4).exe

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

***** [ Browsers ] *****

-\\ Mozilla Firefox v

-\\ Google Chrome v

Kuttus,

If this information is not what you are looking for, maybe you can call me and we can speak realtime, as this would alieviate any of the frustration we are both having. That way there is (no) confusion.

Sincerely,

Casey Pons

Thanks for your time,Sir...I appreciate your service and patience with this ongoing MONSTER. Talk to you when you can!

Peace,

Casey

caseypons

Thread author
Oct 2, 2013
caseypons said:
kuttus said:

</li>
</ol>
<hr/>

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

***** [ Browsers ] *****

-\\ Mozilla Firefox v

-\\ Google Chrome v

Kuttus,

Sincerely,

Casey Pons

Kuttus,

Just to keep you posted of any new issues, since I ran Adware Cleaner on my system last night, I have noticed my Google Chrome Browser has not allowed me to maneuver the same in yahoo--mail. Could there be some relationship/correlation to this issue and running of Adware Cleaner.
Is this the SweetPacks virus causing this new issue???????

I sure wish we could speak realtime about these issues.....
You have my number Sir!

Best Regards,

Casey

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
Hi caseypons,

I wish I could call you. I am from India. So it is not possible for me to call you from here... You run the ADWCLEANER now please go with Step 2 and Step 3....

caseypons

Thread author
Oct 2, 2013
caseypons said:
kuttus said:

</li>
</ol>
<hr/>

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

***** [ Browsers ] *****

-\\ Mozilla Firefox v

-\\ Google Chrome v

Kuttus,

Sincerely,

Casey Pons

Kuttus,

Here You Go with Step 2 JRT Results.

I am confused by what you mean Step 3. If You have provided a Step 3, I have missed it. Please provide Step 3 again.

Thank You, Sincerely,

Casey

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Thisisu
Version: 6.0.4 (10.06.2013:1)
Ran by Owner on Sun 10/13/2013 at 15:01:38.21

~~~ Services

~~~ Registry Values

~~~ Registry Keys

~~~ Files

~~~ Folders

Scan was completed on Sun 10/13/2013 at 15:09:31.35
End of JRT log

caseypons

Thread author
Oct 2, 2013
kuttus said:
Step 3 is running Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Kuttus:

I did not see a number 3 associated with this Step, that is why your comment threw me off. It just so happens that I already have Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware on my desktop and routinely run this scan, as I did right after Step 1, Step 2. No Malicious Detections was noted in the summary.

My concern now is that I cannot open Microsoft Internet Explorer and Avast keeps sending me "Critical Alerts" that Windows Internet Explorer can't update.

Please varify you know that is the problem I am concerned about!

Once Again...Thank You,

Casey

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
Okay.... Let's fix the issue with Internet Explorer ...

Steps To Reset Internet Explorer...

1. Please press the Windows key
    k3ap3b.jpg
    and R key on your keyboard together.
  2. Now you will get a Run window. In that run window please type inetcpl.cpl and press on OK.
    j5uy6t.jpg
  3. Now you will get a Internet Options Window.
    2whjp1w.gif
  4. In that Window Press on the Advanced Tab and press on Reset
    a4vn8l.png
  5. Press on Reset Once Again in the Second Window.
    21malc4.png
  6. When Internet Explorer finishes resetting, click Close in the confirmation dialogue box and then click OK.
    ao6ipe.png

NOTE : Before you Start Resting Internet Explorer Close all the Open Windows of Internet Explorer ...

<hr />

caseypons

Thread author
Oct 2, 2013
kuttus said:
Okay.... Let's fix the issue with Internet Explorer ...

Steps To Reset Internet Explorer...

1. Please press the Windows key
    k3ap3b.jpg
    and R key on your keyboard together.
  2. Now you will get a Run window. In that run window please type inetcpl.cpl and press on OK.
    j5uy6t.jpg
  3. Now you will get a Internet Options Window.
    2whjp1w.gif
  4. In that Window Press on the Advanced Tab and press on Reset
    a4vn8l.png
  5. Press on Reset Once Again in the Second Window.
    21malc4.png
  6. When Internet Explorer finishes resetting, click Close in the confirmation dialogue box and then click OK.
    ao6ipe.png

NOTE : Before you Start Resting Internet Explorer Close all the Open Windows of Internet Explorer ...

<hr />

Kuttus;

I did everything as per your direction. And as I try to open IE7, it still won't open.
Please advise...

Thanks,
Casey

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
Please run Run Autoruns and send me the screenshots of the Tab Scheduled Task, Winlogon and Internet Explorer.

To Take Screen Of Your Screen.
  1. Press PRINT SCREEN (Print Scr) key on Your Keyboard.
  2. Now Open MS Paint
  3. Open Paint by clicking the Start button
    4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47.png
    , clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, and then clicking Paint.
  4. In MS Paint Click Edit, and then click Paste.
  5. After this Save the File on your computer by Clicking on File --> Save
Add this Saved File in your next Replay

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.