Symantec Endpoint Protection (review & explanation)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
hi,

i just installed Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) ; so i will briefly explain what is is and what it does:
hTO7e0P.jpg
phX0gDj.jpg

Endpoint ? what is that?

Endpoint security is an approach to network protection that requires each computing device on a corporate network to comply with certain standards before network access is granted. Endpoints include PCs, laptops, smartphones, tablets and specialized corporate equipment such as bar code readers or point of sale (POS) terminals.

Code:
From Symantec

Symantec Endpoint Protection is an endpoint security solution created through a layered approach to defense. With unique, layered technology, it detects and removes more malware than any other product in its class1. Derived from Symantec’s global intelligence network, our unique Insight and SONAR technologies enable faster scan, more accurate detection, and higher performance while utilizing fewer resources. With single management console, Symantec Endpoint Protection provides advance protection across multiple platforms both physical and virtual

the main target of endpoint protections is to protect your network from various attack vectors. the keyword here is network protection opposed to local protection of Home users solutions.

while some of its components (RT engine, Behavior Blocker known as Sonar, etc...) look similar to the home version (aka Norton IS) , the way SEP handle them (The firewall configurations, 0-day ( and definitions that go along with specific network exploits) and Policy settings) are very different.

idME0Ls.jpg

b1eiIN4.jpg
The very database itself in SEP and NIS are not the same, and the process for detecting, monitoring and removal of both engines and its 0-day/Proactive Defense Protocols are differently calculated. Not to say that SEP is collecting datas gathered from all endpoints of its network across the world, comportment which is not being used by NIS. one of the best example is the Download Insight:

9TGYa51.jpg

sIRvlq7.jpg

SEP's power comes from the collective as multiple Endpoints in a network work as one massive firewall, and if they for whatever reason cannot find a solution then the master server can. And if that fails you still have Symantec's own server and its HUGE world wide network of all clients who use their EP. So its really a collective effort. and not a indivdual effort.‏

you knew about cloud detection engine, SEP is like a full cloud suite, using dynamic sets of rules, not static ones found in home products.

What about my Windows Firewall?

unlike some FW that "discard" Windows Firewall , SEP manages it as it takes the WF's rules and enhance your protection by adding them to SEP itself (on top of their own and your custom rules) interestingly, that means that SEP knows thanks to Windows Update and Error Reporting if a vulnerability is active on your system and will ask Symantec for a temporary fix till Microsoft releases a KB package to fix it once and for all (if they can fix it and are aware of it)

xb7sjXu.jpg

So? what it does exactly?

basically, While your home user security soft protect you only when datas reach your computer , Endpoint protect you before they reach your router.

to explain , when you connect to google , this is the scheme your datas (packets) will have with a home user solution:

Code:
your PC + solution > router > ISP > internet (relays) > google.com

then google sent back datas in the opposite way.

with SEP there is some differences (this scheme is based if you are not managed by a master server):

Code:
your PC > SEP > router > emulated SEP (probing & tagging your packets based on your SEP settings) > ISP > Internet > google.com

As you can see when your datas are leaving your computer, they are tagged by SEP in both directions.

ok ! i got it but what are the Endpoint benefit for me over Home User's solutions?

normal programs go for user friendly and a minimized option list to maintain being userfriendly allowing to set a "basic" security that is being predefined for every day home use.. SEP on the other hand‏ is only user friendly in its navigation but the custom rules, and very configuration setting are far tighter... but in return if configured by skilled hands you get even on lowest settings like a 100 times better security then for example traditional home solution. Endpoint protection can't be allowed to run out-of-the-box, they require specific & precise configuration depending of your network infrastructure.

the Keyword here is manual Configuration.

DPsU2cI.jpg

You can literally block every single address and domain while allowing just one like: "mycompany.com" and everything by default is being rerouted to a fake adress. That means that your PC cannot be infected by a malware as there is no end destination for a malware... or attack..

N.nvt said:
Now symantec (And some other EP brands) know all legit broadcast DNA's known to man but the moment a broadcast package mimic's a legit package then the wrapper might seem just like a normal packet but it contents is very different and SEP will respond to that by tagging that package and depending on the type it will enforce a rule associated with that behavior, but before it drops the package and isolate it it will ask Symantec what to do... but during this time it will call it keeps taps on that package..‏

If you are sending a package then symantec will tag it to ensure the integrity, the moment the integrity is damaged by for example sniffing or injection it will drop it.. which will result in a dead package hitting nowhere... without ever having to enforce a rule..

means a packet can be modified by malwares but SEP will recognize it as modified and tag him depending rules. if it is malicious, he packet is redirected elsewhere.

this simple analogy will resume the idea:

it is like when you enter a big company for an audit of the research department, you have been granted a visitor ID badge restricting your access until you are confirmed to access the department; once accredited you get the staff badge (with access allowance) ‏ but if you use a fake staff badge , you will be detected right away and kicked out the building.

that is the big difference with a home user network protection (aka Firewall); where the packet isn't checked and is accepted or dismissed by the firewall local rules :

a normal firewall does not "think" and anticipate / learn on its own as you need to click yes or no so it remembers and the rules enforced are just static rules that will block both bad and good packages that use the blocked protocol, while SEP can think, anticipate and learn from you, from its own "detections" from package behavior and if in doubt it always has Symantec as advisor and the data of similar events from every single SEP client connected to the net which all report back with their detections, solutions and result to Symantec cloud. So next time a rule has not been updated locally then usually a FW does not know what to do as without a rule its blind... while SEP is going to report back to the server no matter what... so if SEP cannot make the call then Symantec will make it for you based upon what the rest of the world has reported back and done..So SEP will block a protocol if enforced but it does filter out the legit traffic and let that pass while the bad ones are being send nowhere..‏

to make another analogy, your packet is a club customer, and it knocks the door (ports) of your favorite club (your system) , then the security guard (the firewall) look at him and based on what you instructed him (the FW's rules), like "don't let enter people in sport shoes from this area" (IP-based rule) he will let him in or not (allow or block) without researching if you are a good or bad customer from this area !

Not saying that a packet sent by an hacker (ping/portscan) has the purpose to know if he connect to an IP or not, because a normal FW will block it, which means that a package goes back saying you cannot connect; which makes the hacker aware that his attack failed.
SEP just sends the package to somewhere.. and the hacker will never receive a reply back... from his point of view "mission accomplished".. while in fact SEP has effectively sent the attack to a valid IP adress that does not have a computer connected.

Conclusion:

obviously endpoint protections softs are not really made for Average Joe, since a wrongly done configuration will reduce the security to zero, but in the hands of a skilled user like network admins, the security granted is far above conventional home user products.

p.s: will update the thread if more infos are needed.

thanks to @n.nvt for its complementary informations/explanations

Last edited by a moderator:

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Yes @Umbra Polaris That is exactly how i explained it to you.
However i want to add that this was a private convo between you and me where i did try to explain it as proper as i could without being to technical using easy every day examples of real life to point out how things work.
Anyway very nice job very nice article and very well explained = Job well done

@ All others
I installed SEP on Umbra's PC to show him what SEP really is and how it really works, and based upon Umbra's own reaction SEP did just a wee bit more then being a firewall. If i may be frank here he was pretty impressed with a product that is being associated with the old Norton / Symantec myths about being a resource hog with bad/average protection and not to forget slowing the PC down to grind modus.
Obviously having SEP running at only 25mb during a full scan on virtually max settings is a testimonial example of being a resource hog (Just kidding)

Umbra why don't you point out what SEP does to your computer now you got it running and can see things for your self?
I am sure that the average Symantec hater gets a culture shock... lmao.

Cheers

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I installed SEP on Umbra's PC to show him what SEP really is and how it really works, and based upon Umbra's own reaction SEP did just a wee bit more then being a firewall. If i may be frank here he was pretty impressed with a product that is being associated with the old Norton / Symantec myths about being a resource hog with bad/average protection and not to forget slowing the PC down to grind modus.
Obviously having SEP running at only 25mb during a full scan on virtually max settings is a testimonial example of being a resource hog (Just kidding)

exact, and that is for the unmanaged version, if you use the managed one, the resources usage is almost null and you have a shower of additional options.

Umbra why don't you point out what SEP does to your computer now you got it running and can see things for your self?
I am sure that the average Symantec hater gets a culture shock... lmao.

examples:
- i don't feel ot running, i can open windows as fast or sometimes even faster than Webroot or ESET
- i just downloaded a torrent, several IPs were blocked right away.
- i tighten the config to my needs , and still tweaking it.
- my browser and downloads are protected

in fact , i am just discovering how it performs. i wish i had it earlier lol

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Personal note: SEP is extremely low on resources as being a unmanaged client however if you are being in a hostile environment or you have lots of crap on your PC that is connecting like a mad man to the Internet then the usage will go up a bit.

SEP as managed client being run by a SEP network server is on average using 20mb on every day use, while on a full scan it uses somewhere between 50mb and 150mb depending on how many changes you made and more importantly how polluted your HDD is and what scan settings you use.

Right now my own SEP is using the following resources:
SEP%20Resources.png

And mine is managed. So less then 20mb ...go figure.

cheers

normalizerx

Level 2
Oct 9, 2012
Well, it has its glitches as well - we are a corporate client of Symantec Endpoint and it slows down the attachment of files (especially .html files) to Outlook e-mail to the point sometimes of "not responding" for a few seconds. And the slowdown is every time. Slows down the PC a bit when updating. And slows shutdown time a bit. I'm comparing it to ESET which we had before. As to the protection part - I agree with what has been said.

Reactions: Nico@FMA

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Well, it has its glitches as well - we are a corporate client of Symantec Endpoint and it slows down the attachment of files (especially .html files) to Outlook e-mail to the point sometimes of "not responding" for a few seconds. And the slowdown is every time. Slows down the PC a bit when updating. And slows shutdown time a bit. I'm comparing it to ESET which we had before. As to the protection part - I agree with what has been said.

Yes attachments of files can be slower then expected due to the fact its being sended to Symantec back and forth and its being tagged with a unique SEP tag to avoid tampering.
This process can sometimes take a bit depending on local config. Imo the slowdown in shutdowns are usually after heavy traffic where tags being added or removed.
In regards to update thats a master server settings if you tweak it right you will not notice. But i do not know how you guys did set it up. But during update we lose like 5mb memory per client locally...which is really nothing.
Sometimes a reboot is required and SEP does that if PC is idle for more then 15 minutes.
Assuring that active clients are not being hammered down.
However comparing it to ESET is kinds weird as SEP has options ESET can only dream off.
With all do respect.
But then again its a company policy which way to go and in both cases you cannot go wrong.

Reactions: normalizerx

normalizerx

Level 2
Oct 9, 2012
Yes attachments of files can be slower then expected due to the fact its being sended to Symantec back and forth and its being tagged with a unique SEP tag to avoid tampering.
This process can sometimes take a bit depending on local config. Imo the slowdown in shutdowns are usually after heavy traffic where tags being added or removed.
In regards to update thats a master server settings if you tweak it right you will not notice. But i do not know how you guys did set it up. But during update we lose like 5mb memory per client locally...which is really nothing.
Sometimes a reboot is required and SEP does that if PC is idle for more then 15 minutes.
Assuring that active clients are not being hammered down.
However comparing it to ESET is kinds weird as SEP has options ESET can only dream off.
With all do respect.
But then again its a company policy which way to go and in both cases you cannot go wrong.

You are right of course, I can't see my settings even on my local client as they are password-protected, not to speak about the master server settings. Options-wise Symantec is way ahead, I agree, but concerning performance and trouble-free operation, I think ESET has the edge.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
You are right of course, I can't see my settings even on my local client as they are password-protected, not to speak about the master server settings. Options-wise Symantec is way ahead, I agree, but concerning performance and trouble-free operation, I think ESET has the edge.

Yes ESET does feel somewhat lighter, yet it provides nearly 50% less protection and the real kicker with SEP is that the support on site is fantastic equals = no data loss and guaranteed continuity which is a pretty big thing.
But hey what does it matter right? Both products are great.

normalizerx

Level 2
Oct 9, 2012
Yes ESET does feel somewhat lighter, yet it provides nearly 50% less protection and the real kicker with SEP is that the support on site is fantastic equals = no data loss and guaranteed continuity which is a pretty big thing.
But hey what does it matter right? Both products are great.

Yes, both are great and I thank you for all your useful information and insights on Symantec. I have been following them.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Ok, i'll consider testing it :)

What are you going to test it on? And how? From a home PC? with a unmanaged client without custom rules and configuration like we have?
Well as has been said before thats going to be a epic fail as out of the box SEP is not going to stop much.
Keep in mind this is not your standard AV or Internet security package for that matter.

But alright if you wish to test it then go for it but do not expect much results.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Mandatory rule n°3

3- Learn to use the software you are going to review/test; at least for few days to a week by using it daily and doing some researches about the components. Indeed since you use our forum's popularity to get a wider audience, it will be inappropriate (for us) to see a product poorly understood, wrongly criticized because lack of researches; then MalwareTips' reputation will be lowered by letting a poor review published here.
Also, you will be tagged as unprofessional if during your review you are wondering where the button to enable/disable some options/features.
Such careless/lazy behavior may ban your videos from being posted here.

source

but if you think you know enough about it, go for it. I am curious.

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
After reviewing several endpoint solutions, I tend to believe that Symantec affords far greater protection than other endpoint protections if you have the time to slowly configure everything and have an advanced security IT team to handle the configurations. And don't be discouraged by the recent 0day bug in symantec; every software has its bugs and Symantec fixed theirs in less than a week after disclosure.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
After reviewing several endpoint solutions, I tend to believe that Symantec affords far greater protection than other endpoint protections if you have the time to slowly configure everything and have an advanced security IT team to handle the configurations. And don't be discouraged by the recent 0day bug in symantec; every software has its bugs and Symantec fixed theirs in less than a week after disclosure.

Well as Symantec user i could say they are the best, however this is not entirely true.
Sophos has a end point package similar to Symantec and if i have to choose between the 2 packages then its going to be a 50/50 call.
As either product is light years ahead of other end point brands.
So is either one the best? That depend on your configuration and the security framework you are using. And both SEP and Sophos EP will serve you very well. And yes both Symantec and Sophos are known for chasing down problems within their end point products as they have some really big clients (fortune 500) and a bug like that could wreak havoc.
So the support for business contracts and services/ software has top priority.
And as long time user i agree with all others both are NOT cheap but boy o boy they are good.

Dang i need to take my fan boy meds, starting to sound like a fan boy. lmao.
91F7EFBA253EBFCE8F0B5372C8B1A5A2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.