App Review System Restore, UAC, and Cryptowall 3.0

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Cryptowall is a nasty piece of malware, but damage from it can be easily prevented. My preferred method is to install a Security solution that meets and exceeds anything that Windows by default provides (like Comodo); but for those that do not currently have such protection (like with most free and many paid security apps), keeping UAC on, even at the lowest level, is mandatory.

Pardon the length of the Video- the song was long.

D

Deleted member 21043

UAC is a very important feature in Windows which should be enabled at all times.

If a user grants permission for a program to be executed with Administrative priveleges, it can actually disable UAC since it would have the priveleges to do something like this. So one mistake could end up to multiple processes running with the same rights as a process running with Administrative priveleges.

People need to be a bit more careful, and make sure they don't disable it. As well as this, make sure they know what they are granting Administrative priveleges before they do. Because for all they know, they could be granting the permission to a bootkit.

Good Security software is necessary to be installed on the system to help protect the user. Of course no Security software is bullet proof. Windows Defender is not going to be the best option when you are coming across threats like Cryptowall. We can see this from the amount of people who have been affected by Cryptowall, despite whether they are a beginner or advanced user.

Thanks for the video @cruelsister. ;)

Reactions: LAGUN

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Hi cruelsister:

Great video, very interesting, as this new version of Cryptowall is deadly. Are there any other security solutions that duplicate UAC's protection? I keep mine enabled at default level, but my friend has his on max. is there any additional security provided using max UAC?

Reactions: LAGUN

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As much as possible UAC can be same like Windows Firewall and its a matter of maximizing the configuration in order to call out any crucial operation that needs permission also a realtime protection should enforce to block the access.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Tony- My favorite as I guess most will know is Comodo Firewall. It will either alert the user or just block silently and requests by Unknown applications for Elevated Privilege (your choice in this)- the functional word here being Unknown. Whereas UAC will alert for something like Malwarebyes (at higher UAC), Comodo will allow it as MB is an established Safe app. Secondly Comodo via Sandboxing/Behavior Blocking will stop system files from being screwed with, same as UAC.

Reactions: Moose

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.