Edward ST

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2013
This is my config. Beside that, I wanna say that my comp has the next specs:
  • Intel Core i7-3630QM, 2.4 GHz (3.4 GHz in Turbo Mode);
  • 750 GB HDD; 16 GB RAM;
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M (dedicated) and Intel HD Graphics 4000 (for system) --> 4 GB video RAM;
Linked with the last known malware infection, I have never had an infection because I use in main instance Norton for surfing the internet, leaving Kaspersky underground to perform deep scans in PC. Also, those are maximum tweaked, along the UAC protection. So, I don't have to backup my entire system.
In the past, I used to go with BullGuard and Comodo, but they had always conflicts.

Any advice is accepted! :cool:

Y

yigido

Good config :) I think no need Norton in this setup you have 3 real-time AV (Kasp+Norton+Baidu)
Lets say Baidu is companion AV and you can use it on demand. Kaspersky and Baidu is enough and you will add you common sense.
Your setup now looks like a un-beatable castle ;)

Reactions: Edward ST

Myna

Level 10
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
Advice no. 1 - upgrade your system to 64-bit. Your system is using only 3 GB of RAM. 13 GB isn't even utilized.
Advice no. 2 - using 2 Real-time AV is a bad bad idea. Will give you a big time trouble someday. Remove Norton and use KIS only.
Advice no. 3 - since you've already spent so much of money on your system, spend a little more and get a SSD.
Advice no. 4 - add a backup solution. Never think that backup is needed only at the time of malware infection. No. There are multiple things that can go wrong, like for example, hardware failure, corrupt software installation, etc etc...

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Never ever use 2 real-time antivirus UNLESS the other one is a companion AV. I suggest you to remove Norton, if you want a dedicated companion AV then use Webroot.

Reactions: frogboy

Edward ST

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2013
Advice no. 1 - upgrade your system to 64-bit. Your system is using only 3 GB of RAM. 13 GB isn't even utilized.
Advice no. 2 - using 2 Real-time AV is a bad bad idea. Will give you a big time trouble someday. Remove Norton and use KIS only.
Advice no. 3 - since you've already spent so much of money on your system, spend a little more and get a SSD.
Advice no. 4 - add a backup solution. Never think that backup is needed only at the time of malware infection. No. There are multiple things that can go wrong, like for example, hardware failure, corrupt software installation, etc etc...

For Advice no.1 - I'm planning to upgrade my system to 64-bit, but not now.
For Advice no.2 - I accept that thing but I'm using Kaspersky only for on-demand scanning and Norton for surfing. I've never had any problem up to now, considering that I've balanced the levels of protection.
For Advice no.4 - I simply don't know even if Acronis or other backup solutions is better than other. Here is a sign of question.

Thank you very much for those pieces of advice!

Reactions: Myna

Edward ST

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2013
I have one simple question: Should I install Windows Firewall Control? Is it good?

Edward ST

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2013
Good config :) I think no need Norton in this setup you have 3 real-time AV (Kasp+Norton+Baidu)
Thanks bro!
Let's say Baidu is companion AV and you can use it on demand. Kaspersky and Baidu is enough and you will add you common sense.
Your setup now looks like a un-beatable castle ;)

Baidu is not set on realtime protection. Only on-demand scan, and in the worst cases.
I can say that Baidu+Emsisoft are the best options to clean the viruses if the main system doesn't face up to malware, instead of others, and Kaspersky+Norton the best couple for protection.

Y

yigido

Baidu is not set on realtime protection. Only on-demand scan, and in the worst cases.
I can say that Baidu+Emsisoft are the best options to clean the viruses if the main system doesn't face up to malware, instead of others, and Kaspersky+Norton the best couple for protection.
Have it your way mate :) as I said good config ;)

Reactions: Edward ST

Edward ST

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2013
Hello, buddies! I've recently updated my config, as follows:

Operating systems:
Added Ubuntu 14.04 (been using for a month, incredibly fast compared to Windows)

Realtime protection:
avast! Internet Security;

I've dropped ESET and Norton, and now my PC is really flying!

On-demand scanners:

Added HitmanPro and deleted Baidu Antivirus (big-sized);

Privacy and optimisation:
Chosen to use Sandboxie with avast! Sandbox (the last will be used only if Sandboxie doesn't work properly)

Web browser:
Added Chrome and removed Firefox (too slow, comparing with 'ancient' versions like 3.6, 5 or 10).

Related to the use of addons, I decided to use only AdBlock Plus

Other software:
SUMo and CrystalDiskInfo (this for checking HDD's health)

That's all :D

Reactions: JM Safe

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Hello, buddies! I've recently updated my config, as follows:

Operating systems:
Added Ubuntu 14.04 (been using for a month, incredibly fast compared to Windows)

Realtime protection:
avast! Internet Security;

I've dropped ESET and Norton, and now my PC is really flying!

On-demand scanners:

Added HitmanPro and deleted Baidu Antivirus (big-sized);

Privacy and optimisation:
Chosen to use Sandboxie with avast! Sandbox (the last will be used only if Sandboxie doesn't work properly)

Web browser:
Added Chrome and removed Firefox (too slow, comparing with 'ancient' versions like 3.6, 5 or 10).

Related to the use of addons, I decided to use only AdBlock Plus

Other software:
SUMo and CrystalDiskInfo (this for checking HDD's health)

That's all :D

Good update, only a thing: I suggest you to install also Collusion extension, which let you know which websites are tracking you, and this is very important. ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.