Teetkong's Security Configuration

Most effective, trustworthy Protection Suite (Using other programs to fill some missing components)

• F-Secure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TrustPort

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emsisoft

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

teetkong

Thread author
Nov 22, 2014
Hello everyone, I hope you day so far has been relaxing yet productive!
I'm new into investigating various security products and issues, so any advice, opinions etc on my setup and the programs is GREATLY APPRECIATED! So Thank You :)

I was using BitDefender until one day i noticed its active protection kept turning off, investigating i found it was unreliable in catching the same worm+virus files. Re-installed and was fine, for a mere week... I have a suspicion my router had something injected into it so i factory reset. I tried to locate the source of the issue but was welcomed with a random BSOD after deleting a recently modified IE registry key, though i disabled IE. Anyway if it comes back i'll try lock onto it.

Currently unsure between trying F-Secure, TrustPort and Emsisoft as they're the only ones i've found to have reasonable and 'legit' privacy policies [reputation is quite subjective these days, no doubt there is much government-AV co-operation, similar to prism, hence i wish to support a company who openly cares for their customers safety and anonymity (regardless of whether my previous statement is true or not)].
What are you opinions on these products?
If certain features such as Firewall are missing from F-secure would you recommend using a third-party?
Any other On-demand scanners you recommend for my collection?
Tips?
I'd love it all <3

P.S. On a side note, having so many extensions installed substantially increases your browsers fingerprint/digital trail, Check out https://panopticlick.eff.org/ to test your browser's uniqueness

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Hello :)

Here's the idea of the three:

Trustport: Uses multi engines (AVG, Norman and Dr.Web) besides of their own engine but expect false positives since that can cause a little bit problems and system resource.

F-Secure: Fine security software, their own called DeepGuard handles unknown processes behavior and solid web protection when deals on online activities.

Emsisoft: Very strong on all features, besides of huge database of detecting threats, their behavior blocker and firewall made to the great expectations.

Performance will be vary from system to system and can affect to the specifications of a computer.

rodm177

Level 1
Verified
Nov 21, 2014
This applies to the new 2015 versions. I don't think you could go wrong with the following Internet Security bundles: Eset, Trend Micro (2015 only), Bullguard (2015 only), or Avira (2015 only). Then of course Kasperskys is good but IT MAY effect performance.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hi teetkong. Thank you for sharing your configuration. You place a great deal of thoughtful concern over privacy. I also had my first:eek: BSODs :confused:while using Bitdefender.:mad: This was identified as an incompatibility issue:oops: with Windows 8 and a previous release of a Free version Bitdefender.

I'd voted for Emsisoft in part because I have their Internet Security 9, though it has not yet been installed.o_O;) In addition to exterminator20's comment, I like and agree with jamescv7's descriptive run downs of the respective suites.:):)

I also use NoScript, yet have read Ghostery is not needed when NoScript is present, and removed Disconnect as well, preferring to keep four subscriptions updated.
  1. Easy list (blocks adds)
  2. Easy Privacy (blocks tracking)
  3. Malware domains (blocks malicious sites)
  4. Fanboy's annoyances (include Fb's social blocking too).
Have you ever considered sandboxing Firefox?
If you haven't, read about this free time machine-like virtualization layer of security here:
Resetting Firefox can improve performance whilst removing all your add-ons too which can also shift insight upon preferred extensions.
Note: If you perform this in a sandbox it's only temporary!:cool:

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Tonino i used Norton 2013-4 and i was happy with, it was light on my system and it was giving me good protection.
But if you want to change i can suggest Eset Antivirus or Smart Security.
Eset is a very stable program,light on system even if it uses about 100MB of RAM, it has excellent detection ( among the best 3 in my opinion),they add signatures of new malware in their databases faster than everyone else and their Firewall does a good job.
Other paid that i used and were doing ok on my system is Emsisoft,Bitdefender,Webroot and TrendMicro.All these performed really good and protected me from threats.

My opinion is if you want to change from Norton to something else read the reviews and the comments here at MT and before buying give them a try for a few days, almost all have 30 day trial period.And then what you like the most and it suites your needs you can buy it.
But i want to remind you that some members here are using Norton for some time and never got infected,i think it's also a good choise.

I hope i have helped you with my post and best of luck deciding ;):D
Kind regards Tony

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
someone can recommend a good antivirus?

Free, Avast Free. Nice selection of features, great performance, and free! If you are very careful, you could get by without any software except for Windows Defender.

Paid, ESET. I would recommend NOD32 and default settings except for "Smart Mode" for HIPS. The Personal Firewall in Smart Security just doesn't get worth the $20 extra. You can use Smart Security keys for NOD32.

P.S: There is a giveaway on ESET smart security 8 right now. Also, recommend Malwarebytes or HitmanPro along with current antivirus.

Also, you can get rid of Lightbeam, Disconnect has a built-in visual feature.

Hi teetkong. Thank you for sharing your configuration. You place a great deal of thoughtful concern over privacy. I also had my first:eek: BSODs :confused:while using Bitdefender.:mad: This was identified as an incompatibility issue:oops: with Windows 8 and a previous release of a Free version Bitdefender.

I'd voted for Emsisoft in part because I have their Internet Security 9, though it has not yet been installed.o_O;) In addition to exterminator20's comment, I like and agree with jamescv7's descriptive run downs of the respective suites.:):)

I also use NoScript, yet have read Ghostery is not needed when NoScript is present, and removed Disconnect as well, preferring to keep four subscriptions updated.
  1. Easy list (blocks adds)
  2. Easy Privacy (blocks tracking)
  3. Malware domains (blocks malicious sites)
  4. Fanboy's annoyances (include Fb's social blocking too).
Have you ever considered sandboxing Firefox?
If you haven't, read about this free time machine-like virtualization layer of security here:
Resetting Firefox can improve performance whilst removing all your add-ons too which can also shift insight upon preferred extensions.
Note: If you perform this in a sandbox it's only temporary!:cool:
^^ @Cats-4_Owners-2 Sandboxie is quite confusing for any person who has not tampered with it big time. It's better just to download Nightly and use the e10 (electrosys) feature... Or go to about:config and type in/enable browser.tabs.remote.

Hopefully this helps!

6 months of MalwareTips Service

Chromatinfish

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
^^ @Cats-4_Owners-2 Sandboxie is quite confusing for any person who has not tampered with it big time. It's better just to download Nightly and use the e10 (electrosys) feature... Or go to about:config and type in/enable browser.tabs.remote.

Hopefully this helps!

6 months of MalwareTips Service

Chromatinfish
@teetkong , as our knowledgeable Chromatinfish 123 has rightly, and thoughtfully, considered the very real possibility trying Sandboxie could be more confusing:confused: than safety enhancing, I shall mention one more option, also a free program that's easier to understand. It's called Time Freeze. It is also easy to understand, & it's on our little used desktop XP. If a Sandbox can be comparable to wearing a wet suit for one whom dives, Time Freeze is simple, and like stepping on board a ship that keeps you safe from drowning in the internet sea!:)
@Chromatinfish 123 , I just may try the e10 (electrosys) feature after downloading Nightly.
It sounds very cool!!:cool:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.