Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
The 25 best female action stars in modern cinema

Feature Wil Jones 13 Nov 2014 - 06:40
action_women.jpg

Wil's got something to say to all those people who reckon women can't be action stars. These 25 kickass women might want a word too...
It seems like you can’t go a few weeks online without someone doing an article on the dearth of female-fronted action movies, or the preconceived notion that action films with female leads don’t do well at the box office, or something about Rocket Racoon getting to the big screen before Wonder Woman. We’re not going to do that here, because that’s boring and overplayed. To be honest, we just want to talk about how great Michelle Yeoh is.

Instead, here’s a completely scientific and one hundred percent accurate list of the best female action stars in the history of modern cinema. I’m taking into account the amount of ‘proper’ action films they’ve been in, how good those films are, and the individual performances of the actress and how convincingly badass she is in the film. The methodology produces some surprising results and your feedback is welcomed, but anything that gets people watching more Cynthia Rothrock and Maggie Cheung films is always worthwhile.

HONOURABLE MENTION: Jennifer Lawrence
Okay, so I’m saying this now, because it’ll come up in the comments. I don’t consider The Hunger Games action films so J-Law doesn’t get a place on this list. They’re good films and she’s the best thing in them, but I don’t really think of them as action films in the same way I don’t really think of Star Wars or CGI-heavy superhero movies as action films – at least not in the tradition Commando/Die Hard/Lethal Weapon mode. Feel free to disagree.

She can definitely be a badass – let alone Katniss Everdeen, check out Winter’s Bone where she basically plays Marv from Sin City in a teenage girl’s body – but she’s not made a straight action film. Yet. If it were up to me, next time Hollywood tries to reboot Donald Westlake’s Parker novels I’d cast Lawrence as a gender-swapped version of the character. (She probably won’t do that though. She’ll probably keep making Oscar winning films with acclaimed directors. But that’s her loss.).

Read more, and follow the countdown, here: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/fem...-25-best-female-action-stars-in-modern-cinema

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.