Not open for further replies.

Kumaran

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 15, 2013
SbnR1m70.png

The only way to keep your secure website logins safe is to use a strong password for each and never use the same one twice. And the only way to manage that task is to use a password manager.

Any time you use the same password on multiple websites, the risks to your security increase dramatically. A breach at one site could expose all of your accounts. If that password is a lame one like "123456" or "password," a hacker could get into your account just by guessing. The problem is, avoiding same passwords and lame passwords is really hard—too hard for most people to manage without help. The solution is simple—install a password manager and change all of your passwords so every single one is different, and every single one is long and hard to crack.

Until our Internet culture evolves into some post-password Nirvana, everybody needs a password manager, even our own John Dvorak. There are plenty of good choices. All the commercial password managers listed here earned 3.5 stars or better. Don't let a stressed budget stop you from securing your online accounts. We've rounded up free password managers separately.

The Basics

The typical password manager installs as a browser plug-in to handle password capture and replay. When you log in to a secure site, it offers to save your credentials. When you return to that site, it offers to automatically fill in those credentials. And if you've saved multiple logins for the same site, the password manager offers you multiple account login options. Most also offer a browser toolbar menu of saved logins, so you can go straight to a saved site and log in automatically.

Some products detect password-change events and offer to update the existing record. Some even record your credentials during the process of signing up for a new secure website. On the flip side, a password manager that doesn't include password capture and replay automation needs to offset that lack with significant other assets.

When you create a new secure account or update a weak password, you don't want to strain your brain trying to come up with something strong and unique. Why bother? You don't have to remember it. All but one of our top-rated products include a built-in password generator. Do make sure your generated passwords are at least 12 characters long; some products default to a shorter length.

Entering a password like S$U?_wzF4boBQNLD on your smartphone's tiny keyboard can be tough. Fortunately, almost all of our top password managers can sync across all of your Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS devices. A few even let you authenticate on iOS or Android with your fingerprint rather than typing the master password. Most include some form of two-factor authentication, be it biometric, SMS-based, Google Authenticator, or something else entirely.

Fill Those Forms

Since most password managers can auto-fill stored credentials, it's just a small step for them to automatically fill in personal data on Web forms—first and last name, email address, phone number, and so on. Almost all of the top-rated products include Web form filling. The breadth and flexibility of their personal data collections vary, as does their accuracy when matching Web form fields with their stored items. Even if they miss a field or two, the ones they do fill are ones you don't have to type. Think about how many sites you go to that want all the same information; this feature is a huge time-saver.

Different products handle form-filling in their own ways. Some immediately fill all recognized fields, some wait for you to click in a field, some pop up and ask what you'd prefer. You'll even find products that offer your choice of credit cards using realistic images with the correct color and bank logo!

Advanced Features

Given that all these products take care of basic password management tasks, how can one product stand out from the pack? One handy advanced feature is managing passwords for applications, not just websites. Another is provision of a secure browser, designed to protect sensitive transactions and invoked automatically when you visit a financial site.

As noted, these top products let you sync your passwords across all of your devices. Some of them also include a built-in mechanism for securely sharing passwords with other users. Some let you share a login without making the password visible, some let you revoke sharing, and with some the sharing goes both ways—that is, if the recipient makes a change it will change the original.

On a grimmer note, what happens to your secure accounts after you've died? A few products include some provision for a digital legacy, a method to transfer your logins to a trusted individual in the event of your death or incapacity.

The Very Best

Veteran password manager LastPass 3.0 Premium offers an impressively comprehensive set of features. Slick and polished Dashlane 3 also boasts a ton of features, even some that LastPass lacks. Sticky Password Premium handles essential tasks better than most, and a portion of every purchase goes to help endangered species. Any one of these three will serve you well, though it's always possible you'll fall in love with the particular feature set of another excellent password manager. Read our reviews to decide which will serve you best. Read more

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Have been using Lastpass for a long time now and have to say that it's been great for me! I also find their premium version is extremely affordable ($1/month) and has all the functions other password managers have.

H

hjlbx

LastPass has nice functionality, but it messes with IE11 performance = sometimes causes problems.

Reactions: Kumaran

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
LastPass is one of very few products that I started using and never had a reason to stop using it. Going on 3 years of using it at least now. To me none of the others come close. Especially not in honesty and security.

Reactions: Kumaran and frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
People's Choice (Lastpass) which why all of the features for encrypted sensitive information covers everything as possible. Simple and easy to download since its a one of the most recommended addons for any browser.

Rohugh

Level 2
Verified
Jul 11, 2014
LastPass for me as well, I have used it for several years without problems over 2 PCs, one laptop, two mobiles and a tablet. :)

vinylmeister

Level 2
Verified
Jan 29, 2015
The best password managers 2015... Ahm, where is Keypass? For me, that is the best one. Why? Free, Open Source and i can host the database on my NAS or my own server and sync all my devices...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.