Guide | How To The most basic lesson of downloading and installing software.

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2013
Hello everyone,

While this is not exactly a tutorial the aim is to provide some basic guidance for the downloading type of internet user.
As you all know i develop my own software and on of those software is called CCSU. It is so often being mistaken for a anti-malware product that i asked the moderation to add a warning to the main topic so everyone can see.
Yet every day i get hundreds of emails by people telling me that my antivirus sucks and that i misinformed them.
This is not the case i have not done such thing and i have been very clear about what each program does.
Now while my own example should not be part of this little guide it did present me with a scenario that i am going to use here.

I noticed that MT has lots of members and each one with their own opinions and skills, yet the bigger part of them downloads software for the sake of downloading it without looking what they actually did download.

• Always do your own research about a software package, read reviews and read what the program is about.
  • Usually information provided by such product reveals in most cases exactly what to expect.
  • The same can be seen by request malwarehelp section, 80% of all infections shown there are user based malware, which means you manually installed it yourself by opening and granting access to programs that have questionable reputation and are often packed with aware and crap.
  • Yet you could have known that if you actually read up about the product you are downloading.

My point here is your own research is your first line of defense against malware, read, think before hitting download.

It saves you from so much crap... try it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Excellent post. It would be so much easier if people did their own research, hence Google and Bing. Bookmark and use.

Example

And when you use a search engine, look at the layout. Ads are placed above and down the side, some display Ad Links between search results. (For those who don't or do use an AdBlocker).

Want to download Flash Player, which link do you use?
You know Flash Player is developed by Adobe, and their homepage is [adobe.com].
[Ads] are tagged
Flash Player is already bundled into Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 for Internet Explorer and Google Chrome.​

upload_2015-4-20_14-37-38.png

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Search: In using search engines, usually first or second link result can identify easily; downloading programs must be on manufacture site and not as possible on third party; although some are safe but better practice is to know the origin that develop.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.