App Review The trouble with Worms

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Just another very brief Video illustrating the issues definition based Security solutions have when presented with an active Worm infestation. Here I specifically pick on Avira, HMP, and Malwarebyes; as the song was rather short I couldn't include Emsisoft Emergency Scanner, but I assure you it also lacked effectiveness.

Although it must seem that I obsessed with the trojans in the Local/Temp folder (and specifically scanned them), time constraints prohibited from examining the other wormy areas (in Roaming, a few Hidden folders, and Windows\pss). Emsisoft actually found and deleted the PSS folder, but the replicant functionality of the Worm duplicated it on reboot.

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
I still remember when I had a pen drive with Brontok worm and avast could not eliminate effectively. was just the avira he could. even deleting some important files for me...
...that worm resurrected always on my pen drive...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.