Battle TimeFreeze vs. Shadow Defender

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Which of the two is better, and why, not including the price?

Thanks.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I've only tried and tested ToolWiz Time Freeze, and for a free-of-charge product it does it's job. I definitely recommend at least taking this product for a test drive.

I cannot say much for Shadow Defender. I hear it's good, but will set you back $35.00 or £20.80. And this is the second developer for the SD?

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
On my windows 8.1 after using shadow defender whenever I reboot my system, windows logins into a temporary profile. I got a pop-up balloon near the tray icon saying, this is a temporary profile and upon logout all data will be deleted. So I went to event viewer and I saw the error message, user profile is corrupt. So that's why I was not able to login to my user profile. I formatted my PC and used shadow defender, but again the same problem. So I stopped using SD. Few say that we have to disable fast boot in Win8/8.1, so how's everyone using SD here ? Do you disable fast boot or do you even have/seen a similar problem ?

Erycina

Level 1
Verified
Apr 19, 2014
I have fast boot disabled, and SD works well for me. I tried using TimeFreeze recently, but I found Shadow Defender's UI and additional options (including performance for my particular system) a lot better.

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
Interesting thing is I used AOEMI backuper to restore the machine state, but even after restoring I was not able to login to my user profile. What confuses me is even after a re-format, I faced the same issue with SD.

d16

Apr 14, 2014
On my windows 8.1 after using shadow defender whenever I reboot my system, windows logins into a temporary profile. I got a pop-up balloon near the tray icon saying, this is a temporary profile and upon logout all data will be deleted. So I went to event viewer and I saw the error message, user profile is corrupt. So that's why I was not able to login to my user profile. I formatted my PC and used shadow defender, but again the same problem. So I stopped using SD. Few say that we have to disable fast boot in Win8/8.1, so how's everyone using SD here ? Do you disable fast boot or do you even have/seen a similar problem ?
I also have the same problem of temporary profile in windows 8.1 but it occurs only when i use shadow defender alongside ESET smart security 7,without ESET it works fine for me..

jimipre

Level 1
Verified
May 30, 2014
I use Sandboxie when I'm surfing the web as my primary choice. It is easy to use, and easy to get downloads out of the sandbox after you are through testing them. Also, it is FREE. It has twice saved me from FBI ransomware. Don't waste your time with Toolwiz Timefreeze or Geswall.

Now I'm going to throw something new at you, when I am considering software from dubious sources, I use Sandboxie as well as Acronis Try and Decide which is part of their True Image software. Acronis Try and Decide, works very much like Shadow Defender.

For the rest of my anti-malware: Kaspersky Internet security 2015, Malwarebytes Pro, Hitman Pro, and Super- anti-spyware Pro. All of them are paid versions except Kaspersky Internet security 2015 which is on a 91 day trial.

Also on my Chrome and Opera browsers I use HTTP Switchboard, which gives you total control of what is blocked and what gets through. It takes the place of about 4 to 6 other extensions. It blocks cookies, CSS, images, plug-ins, scripts, and XHR.

I have so Much Confidence in Sandboxie that on of my slower computers, where I can't Kaspersky, I use AVG Internet security. I have had no problems with running Sandboxi and AVG together.

In fact before I found this website, I was so disgusted with the paid Internet security suites, that I use Sandboxi with free avast, and free zone alarm firewall. With this combination I never had any problems either.

In fact I have so much confidence in Sandboxi that I might just use it with Windows defender and Windows firewall should this string of free antivirus trials ends.

By the way if you're using a backup cloud service, there are only two that use encryption. They are Spideroak and Tesorit. If you are using Google Drive, unless you encrypt things yourself everything that you store on Google Drive is open for any Google employee to see. I use Spideroak as my primary backup cloud service. In addition to the encryption, It checks for things to backup every five minutes, and you can synchronize with unlimited numbers of computers. Then I use Acronis True Image for weekly incremental image backup.

I think that if you use: 1) Sandboxie, 2) HTTP Switchboard, 3) an encrypted backup cloud service, and 4) you do weekly image backups to an external hard drive then you are as safe as you are going to get. Also, I truly believe that if you do the four things that I mentioned above, the type of antivirus or security suite becomes almost irrelevant.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
KaptainBug

"Interesting thing is I used AOEMI backuper to restore the machine state, but even after restoring I was not able to login to my user profile. What confuses me is even after a re-format, I faced the same issue with SD."

Did you ever get this problem fix? And no you do not have to disable fast boot in Win8/8.1.:oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: Koroke San

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
KaptainBug

"Interesting thing is I used AOEMI backuper to restore the machine state, but even after restoring I was not able to login to my user profile. What confuses me is even after a re-format, I faced the same issue with SD."

Did you ever get this problem fix? And no you do not have to disable fast boot in Win8/8.1.:oops:
AOEMI didn't work??

Reactions: Moose

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
KaptainBug

I did not have that problem again.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Yes. AOEMI for some reason is not restoring exact image I believe. That's why I was not able to login even after I restored the image. Now I use Macrium Reflect and its infact better than AOEMI IMO.
and i have a pro version of it, got it in giveaway. Btw i have Easus Todo backup, i heard it's a good backupgood utility. Would u recommended it to me or u have any other best option for me? Thnx :)

Reactions: Moose
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.