Solved Trying to create rescue disk

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rocky

Thread author
We had to buy a new desktop with windows 8 installed and I was going to try the windows backup and image program but I haven't been able to make a rescue disc that will boot. When I restart the computer the disc drive runs but it boots directly to the system. Is this normal if there isn't a problem? I have not installed hardly anything so there shouldn't be a conflict. I get the same result with a disc made with the Dell restore program. Thanks for any help. Rocky

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
booting to a cd/dvd is not the same in Win 8/8.1 as it was with the other OS's you need to use Advanced Startup Options

How to Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 8 and 8.1

Information

Using advanced startup, you can start up from a device or disc (ex: USB/DVD), change your PC's firmware settings,
change Windows startup settings, or restore Windows from a system image.

This tutorial will show you how to boot to the new metro style Startup Options menu to select various system and
troubleshooting options for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4935-startup-options-menu-boot-windows-8-a.html

:)

James

Upvote 0
R

rocky

Thread author
Thanks for the reply. It helped a lot . I got as far as it asked me to hit any key to boot from dvd but as far as it went was a black screen with a cursor. Up to now I always had two partitions one operating system the other data. Then I decided to let windows handle it and I have myself totally confused on backup and restore. I'm finding out I haven't kept up very well with the new because my old worked so well. I have tried windows,dell backup and ax64 and have had problems with all of them so it has to be me.

Reactions: Littlebits
Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
i'v tryed a few times to boot from a cd/dvd in Win 8/8.1 also and with no luck so
it's not just you lol

i'm thinking it could work to boot from a USB Drive better

i found this software to burn a ISO to a USB drive and going to try it sometime
to see if it will work

Zotac WinUSB Maker
http://joshcellsoftwares.com/products/zotacwinusbmaker/

there is no install for this software so it is portable and was easy to use but
i have not tryed to boot from the USB drive i made from it yet

:)

James

Reactions: Littlebits
Upvote 0

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Actually being able to boot from things other than the hard drive (like CD's USB, etc) is totally independent of the Operating System used. Remember that for the OS to come into play the Hard Drive must be booted into first, and this is what you want to avoid in using a CD (or USB) as the boot drive.

So, James- in your BIOS screen look to see what the Booting priority is. Make sure the CD/DVD and USB are in the one and two positions (either way) and the hard drive is number 3.

Rocky- do you have any other bootable CD's to try? I have a feeling that your issue may be with the CD created and not the computer. If you don't have any bootable CD's handy you can try Macrium Reflect Free- which can be found here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx. This is an excellent imaging application; the free version is basic but will allow you to create a bootable Linux recovery CD. So install it, create the CD and try it.

Please keep us informed on your progress!

M

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.