Guide | How To [Tutorial: How to] Dual boot: Windows 8.x.x + Linux Ubuntu / Mint

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
it is better

dual-booting will break your Win8 Refresh/Reset feature (if not already broke by Win8.1 update)

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
it is better

dual-booting will break your Win8 Refresh/Reset feature (if not already broke by Win8.1 update)
You sure about that ? Then what will i have to do if something goes wrong in my PC of win 8.1 ? Will i ever be able to remove linux if i want to?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
you can but you will not be able to use the refresh/reset feature using your recovery partitions (made by your machine manufacturer) but only doing it via install CD

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
you can but you will not be able to use the refresh/reset feature using your recovery partitions but only doing it via install CD
So are u experiencing any problems with ur dual booted system. Can u just show me some snapshots of ur system boot during the boot up ?

Reactions: Vasudev
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
no issues at all (except this refresh one) , if you follow the procedure properly.

in fact you will just have a different BCD created by linux , then you choose which OS to go, nothing really fancy

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
no issues at all (except this refresh one) , if you follow the procedure properly.

in fact you will just have a different BCD created by linux , then you choose which OS to go, nothing really fancy
Fine . Another thing is that, i had created a set of recovery discs (6 CD) for my preinstalled OS partition, so even if i mess with anything i can use this to restore my default OS right. (As of now since i already have created a set of discs my HP laptop has not allowed me to boot from the recovery partion, it asks for the disks only). All this doesnt damage my BIOS right? I will be able to switch back right?

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Hi i'm prepared for my dual boot action. I just have one doubt with the partition. I want some more space for storage how to reallocate?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Go in windows , use disk management, shrink an adjacent volume to extend the one you want.

Show me a screenshot of your partition table if you have some doubts.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.