Not open for further replies.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
This comes after the U.S Government paid a whopping $50 Million last month, for using pirated softwares, which led to the Vice President Joe Biden saying, “Piracy is theft, clean and simple”. Yet here we are with another blatant abuse of software copyrights by a Government Agency.

A signal soldier is quoted to have said that, at least 18 computers at the education center, located working at the base he is working on, is running on pirated versions of Windows 7.

The soldier, Mark (not the real name) said that all the computers in the lab displayed messages, which said that the Windows versions on them were either not valid, or not activated. Senior officials to whom he had reported the issue seemed to have turned a deaf ear towards it.

Mark also said he was not anti-government and has served a long time in the Army, & believes that the Army should be “kept honest and accountable for what they do”.

However there are questions about DRM issues which could have prevented the licenses from being activated as well.

Earlier this year, the U.S Department of Defense had signed a three year license deal worth $617 Million with Microsoft, to bring its products including Windows 8, to computers used by the Army, Air Force, & Defense Information Systems Agency.

via Softpedia

D

Deleted member 178

Agencies run pirated Windows because the employee "take" the license for them instead of activating the computers :p

Reactions: sunil22

sunil22

Level 1
Verified
Oct 4, 2013
What a shame :Dto US and the US army for such a thing the pirated software can also have the malware or spy ware how come they can do this that to when Uncle Sam preaches the world that Piracy is the biggest crime:D.

D

Deleted member 178

but i can undesrstand and i sympathize with the US Army, they lost so much money doing useless wars that they don't have much more to buy legit licenses :D

When i was in French Army, i heard that during the Yugoslavia conflict, US troops gave to french soldiers 20 dehydrated rations for one french basic ration ^^

a soldier said " our country is rich but not our soldiers" ^^

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
but i can undesrstand and i sympathize with the US Army, they lost so much money doing useless wars that they don't have much more to buy legit licenses :D

When i was in French Army, i heard that during the Yugoslavia conflict, US troops gave to french soldiers 20 dehydrated rations for one french basic ration ^^

a soldier said " our country is rich but not our soldiers" ^^
Which Yu-conflict was that? :)

D

Deleted member 178

the event during Sarajevo, (croatia/serbia/montenegro, etc...)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
The Us Army figures why not,everybody else does it.Not much to it and if you know how to do it ..The US military is used to taking what doesn't belong to them or at the very least destroying it.I hope they are not monitoring this site and read this.

Reactions: BoraMurdar

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
6eexqp.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.