Kate_L

in memoriam
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Hello my friends,

Last time I posted something related to privacy you guys liked so, here is something new. I notice that some people use something called "Hola" a tool that says "Anonymity is your basic right" the irony.

I know that VPS are bad and you don't have any privacy, this was a few years ago when I did a research on a cyber attack. When I see free products that say something about privacy and place all the fancy icons on sites (like a pre-programing, a good technique to scam, lie people), all the reviews and so on. The first thing is, I love to do it is read the "Privacy" & "Terms", there you will find all that you need to know.

So, this is what is interesting:

The Information We Collect
  • Anonymous Information; We collect Anonymous Information about your use of the Services to allow us to provide the Services and constantly improve them, for security reasons and so that we can audit and track usage statistically, audit our affiliates and calculate payments to 3rd parties. Such Anonymous Information does not enable identification of individual persons, and it includes your approximate geo-location, hardware specifications, browser type and version, the date of the Software installation, the date of your last use of the Services, your operating system type, version and language, registry entries, and your URL requests (this type of information is collected randomly from minor percentage of Hola's users for statistics only. We do not make any efforts to reveal your identity through this collection). We may also collect information that will help us understand whether your device is used at a given moment so we will not send it any requests.
  • Personal Information; is information that may be of a private or sensitive nature, identifies or may identify you. The Personal Information we collect and retain include your IP address, your name and email address in case you provide us with this information (for instance when you open an account or if you approach us through the "contact us" option), screen name, payment and billing information (if you purchase premium services) or other information we may ask from time to time as will be required for the Services provisioning. When you create an account on the Services you are able to do so by using your credentials with a designated third party website or service ("Third Party Account"), such as Facebook®. Doing so will enable you to link your account and your Third Party Account. If you choose this option, then a Third Party Account pop-up box will appear which you will need to approve in order to proceed, and which will describe the types of information that we will obtain from. Such information includes your Personal Information stored on this Third Party Account, such as user name, email address, profile picture, birthday, gender and preferences. We also treat any Anonymous Information which is specifically connected or linked to any Personal Information, as long as such connection or linkage exists, as Personal Information.
  • Other Information As part of the Services' nature and to enable browsing acceleration, information which is publicly accessible by other users that you have accessed may be accessed by those users from cached copy of this data from your device; Please note that when you interact with other websites and use Hola, such websites may collect information about you. Hola has nothing to do with such website's data collection practices and such practices will be governed by their own privacy policies.
How We Collect Your Information
  • Cookies: A cookie is a small data file that is sent to your browser for record-keeping purposes, so the same website will be able to recognize you when you will be back. We use cookies to save your registration information and to recognize you when you are using the Services. Further, we use session ID cookies to enable certain features of the Services, to better understand how you interact with the Services and to monitor aggregate usage and web traffic routing on the Services. Session cookies are deleted from your computer when you log off from the Services and close your browser. Third party service providers or advertisers may also place cookies on your browser for their own purposes. You can choose any time whether to accept such cookies or not or to delete existing cookies from browser. However, if you delete such cookies, some of the Services may not be available to you.
  • Pixel Tags: A pixel tag is a type of technology placed on a website in combination with cookie to enable tracking activity on websites.
  • Web Beacon: A web beacon is technique used to track who is reading a web page or email, when, and from which computer.
  • Log Data: Log Data is a data that is automatically recorded by our servers when you use the Services. Log Data may include information about your device such as your IP address, browser type, the webpages you visit, the time spent on those pages, access times and dates, unique identifier that was generated for your device (if you use the Services from your mobile device then such identifier may be you mobile number). Such data is used by us in its aggregated form and is not combined with any Personal Information.

Cookies I understand, it is "standard" but Pixel Tags ? Web Beacon ? Log Data ?

So .. where is the privacy here ? on there website it is saying "No Tracking" (with a fancy button)

Reactions: viktik

avast! Protection

Level 2
Verified
Jun 27, 2014
Could you please let me know where you've taken these terms from - the website or the software's "Terms & Condtions" agreement?

I think these privacy terms are related to the website itself, not the software they provide the user with. I can be wrong though. :)

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Log Data: Log Data is a data that is automatically recorded by our servers when you use the Services. Log Data may include information about your device such as your IP address, browser type, the webpages you visit, the time spent on those pages, access times and dates, unique identifier that was generated for your device (if you use the Services from your mobile device then such identifier may be you mobile number). Such data is used by us in its aggregated form and is not combined with any Personal Information.

They clearly mentioned that they are logging all the data. It tracking the users.

With these data logging they can make a lot of bucks.

Reactions: avast! Protection

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Forget NSA. What about are blue friend?
images

Reactions: Oxygen

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.