Uninstalling Conduit SearchProtect deletes NTLDR making Windows XP Unbootable

jim lin

Level 8
Thread author
Aug 6, 2012
Uninstalling Conduit SearchProtect deletes NTLDR making Windows XP Unbootable

A common adware called Conduit SearchProtect, which changes your browser's homepage to Conduit.com, is causing major problems for users of Windows XP who uninstall it.When users uninstall Conduit SearchProtect from Add or Remove Programs in Windows XP, they find on reboot that Windows XP is no longer able to start. Instead they will be greeted with a message stating "NTLDR is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart".

This problem occurs because the Conduit uninstall program not only removes it's own Conduit SearchProtect files, but also removes all the files found in the root of the C: drive. In Windows XP the C:\ folder contains two required programs called NTLDR and ntdetect.com that when deleted prevent Windows from starting. As Windows Vista and newer versions do not contain any files in the C:\ folder that are required to start Windows, Windows is able to start normally.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/for...t-deletes-ntldr-making-windows-xp-unbootable/

:)

James

jim lin

Level 8
Thread author
Aug 6, 2012
i looked around the forum and did not see that post sorry kuttus

i guess i should of used the search function lol

:)

James

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.