Update on PlayStation Network [Hacked Again] - October 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
RE: Update on PSN/Qriosity [Compromised]

You can do what you want to a man, but you DO NOT f... with his playstation!!!

Not worried yet though. Most of that info is publicly available, and i haven't given them my credit card info, so a password change should do it.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

iPanik said:
and i haven't given them my credit card info, so a password change should do it.

I am going to switch my email address too, just in case they start sending fake emails to the exposed email address. :p

malwarebuster

Apr 26, 2011

Well... I have a credit card saved into my info which sucks. I'm going to change my pass when the psn network comes back online. ^^

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011

Some Q&A for the masses.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/27/qa-1-for-playstation-network-and-qriocity-services/

This i find interesting:
All of the data was protected, and access was restricted both physically and through the perimeter and security of the network.
If the servers has been physically restricted, then the evil-dooer would have to be there physically. If thats the case, then this could be one of those "disgruntled employee" situations.
The credit card data was encrypted.

Also they are moving the entire service to a new datacenter.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Q&A #2 for PlayStation Network and Qriocity Services

Q: Will our download history/friends list/settings be affected by the PSN downtime?
A: No, they will not.

Q: Will trophies that were earned in single-player offline games during the outage be intact when the service resumes?
A: These trophies are intact and will be re-synched when the network is once again operational.

Q: Will my PS+ cloud saves be retrievable?
A: Yes, once PSN is restored.

Q: What if we have a subscription to PS3 MMOs DC Universe Online or Free Realms? Will we get compensation for that?
A: From Sony Online Entertainment: “We apologize for any inconvenience players may have experienced as a result of the recent service interruption. As a global leader in online gaming, SOE is committed to delivering stable and entertaining games for players of all ages. To thank players for their patience, we will be hosting special events across our game portfolio. We are also working on a “make good” plan for players of the PS3 versions of DC Universe Online and Free Realms. Details will be available soon on the individual game websites and forums.”

Q: Will there be a goodwill gesture for the time we haven’t been able to utilize PSN/Qriocity?
A: We are currently evaluating ways to show appreciation for your extraordinary patience as we work to get these services back online.

Link

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

PSN may be back online May 3, 2011 (No source).

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Sony: PSN Back Online Next Week
"Some services up and running" by May 3rd.

link

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Sony admits breach larger than originally thought, 24.5 million SOE users also affected

Link

Oh well another millions of user are affected with the information exposed.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Sony admits breach larger than originally thought, 24.5 million SOE users also affected

Sony disclosed today that the breach affecting its PlayStation Network (PSN) that saw 77 million records lost was larger than they originally thought. Not only were the details of PSN users stolen, but another 24.5 million records related to users of Sony Online Entertainment were stolen as well.

Read more
Overall 100M users....LOL...like i've said , biggest e-news of the year!:s

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

2011, the year of Sony/PlayStation just as expected. :D

If you visit SOE your can read the security update, I never knew this site existed. :p

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Sony implicates Anonymous in PlayStation Network hack
The revelation, made in a letter, (PDF here) that Sony Chairman Kazuo Hirai sent on Tuesday to members of the US House of Representatives, was used to support the company's contention that the massive security breach was carried out by members of Anonymous, the loosely organized griefer and hacker collective that sometimes uses the tag line: “We are Legion.”

“Just weeks before, several Sony companies had been the target of a large-scale, coordinated denial of service attack by the group called Anonymous,” Hirai wrote. “The attacks were coordinated against Sony as a protest against Sony for exercising its rights in a civil action in the United States District Court in San Francisco against a hacker.”

Read more

So do you belive that "Anonymous" did this ? :D

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

And just to make thing more fun.....

Anonymous Denies Involvement in Sony Breaches
The Anonymous hacktivist collective vehemently denies any involvement into the intrusions and data breaches suffered by Sony and suggests that someone might be trying to frame it.

In a lengthy press release the group stresses that it has never been engaged in credit card theft and that this kind of action would stand against its goal of gaining as much public support as possible.

"Whoever did perform the credit card theft did so contrary to the 'modus operandi' and intentions of Anonymous.

"Public support is not gained by stealing credit card info and personal identities, we are trying to fight criminal activities by corporations and governments, not steal credit cards,"
the group writes.

Read more

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

At least we know the hackers exploited a known vulnerability to gain access to the servers.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011

"Anonymous" is quite a loosely defined group. Someone who participates in their IRC channels could easily have recruited some fellow members (in private) and done some things. Would this be considered an Anonymous project, or not?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Sony Deals with Third Breach

Sony has dealt with a new breach over the weekend which exposed the names and partial addresses of 2,500 people who participated in a sweepstakes contest ten years ago.

Sony learned about the intrusion after hackers stole the information and posted it on a public website. The company took measures to remove the data from the Internet and apologized for the new incident.

The information was taken from a website that was used for a product sweepstakes contest back in 2001.

"The website was out of date and inactive when discovered as part of the continued attacks on Sony," the company told Reuters.

No credit card details, Social Security numbers or user passwords were compromised in this new incident.

Read more

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

It was expected, I'm not surprised.
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-CNET-Exclusive-Third-attack-against-Sony-planned

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

PlayStation Network Restoration Begins

Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) and Sony Network Entertainment International (SNEI, the company) will today begin a phased restoration by region of PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. The phased restoration will be on a country by country basis beginning in the Americas, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and the Middle East.

The first phase of restored services for North America and Europe will include:
  • Sign-in for PlayStation Network and Qriocity services, including the resetting of passwords.
  • Restoration of online gameplay across PlayStation 3 and PSP.
  • Plaback rental video content, if within rental period, of PlayStation Store
  • Video Store on PS3, PSP and Media Go.
  • Q Music Unlimited, for current subscribers, on PS3 and PC.
  • Access to third party services such as VidZone and MUBI.
  • 'Friends' category on PS3, including Friends List, Chat Functionality, Trophy Comparison, etc.
  • PlayStation Home.

More details about firmware update:
Update Firmware v3.61

Ibrad

Apr 29, 2011
RE: Update on PlayStation Network [Compromised & Restoration]

You beat me to this Stormgtr I was just about to post this

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
RE: Update on PlayStation Network [Compromised & Restoration]

Seems they are now on the steps on restoring the information from the users. At least they try to find ways to recover from the exposed information of the user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.