US Officially Bans Kaspersky Products From Government Systems

ras74

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2014
In a Binding Operational Directive published today by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the US government has banned the use of Kaspersky Lab security software on government computers.

The decision comes after a Senate Intelligence Committee accused the Russian antivirus vendor of having secret ties to the Russian government.

Senate meetings were held on the topic, and the FBI interviewed a dozen Kaspersky employees working at the company's US offices.

Agencies have 90 days to remove Kaspersky software
According to the Directive issued today, the DHS is instructing government agencies to "identify any use or presence of Kaspersky products on their information systems in the next 30 days, to develop detailed plans to remove and discontinue present and future use of the products in the next 60 days, and at 90 days."

Below is the section of the DHS directive that explains the US government's decision to remove Kaspersky software from government PCs.

This action is based on the information security risks presented by the use of Kaspersky products on federal information systems. Kaspersky anti-virus products and solutions provide broad access to files and elevated privileges on the computers on which the software is installed, which can be exploited by malicious cyber actors to compromise those information systems. The Department is concerned about the ties between certain Kaspersky officials and Russian intelligence and other government agencies, and requirements under Russian law that allow Russian intelligence agencies to request or compel assistance from Kaspersky and to intercept communications transiting Russian networks. The risk that the Russian government, whether acting on its own or in collaboration with Kaspersky, could capitalize on access provided by Kaspersky products to compromise federal information and information systems directly implicates U.S. national security.
The DHS is also giving Kaspersky the opportunity to appeal the directive, albeit experts believe this would be a futile effort.

Ever since rumors about the US government's intentions have surfaced, Kaspersky Lab has vehemently denied any accusations.

FBI pushing private sector away from Kaspersky
A month ago, reports revealed the FBI had been holding meetings with the US private sector and pressuring US companies to ditch Kaspersky products.

Last week, US retailer Best Buy removed all Kaspersky Lab products from its stores.

In retaliation to the mounting attacks on Kaspersky's reputation in the US, Russian President Vladimir Putin has pledged support for a law that favors Russian software over foreign products on Russian government networks.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I think everyone knows what I think... this is pure political propaganda. If their worry was actually tactical, i.e. Russian software running in US Government systems may be subverted to send sensitive information to Russian Government, the ban would have to hit Dr. Web and Adguard as well, even if in a preventive form, to stop them from ever being installed in said systems. I don't see those products mentioned even as footnote anywhere...

Alexhousek

Level 2
Verified
Aug 19, 2017
I'm probably in the minority here. But, this is one person who won't be using Kaspersky anytime soon. I had a very bad experience with the software and the company a couple of years back. It totally wrecked one of my PC's. In addition, if there are concerns by the federal government about this software/company, why would I even want to chance it when there are so many other options out there?!

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Back in 2012 I had to uninstall Kaspersky by force because it was making my computer unusable. I went back to Kaspersky in 2016 and it has run flawlessly in my systems since then. Even if the product was pure trash it wouldn't change the fact that it is being used as a political propaganda tool by the US Government. If a single piece of evidence is found It won't take me more than 5 minutes to change products in my personal machines.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
My personal stand is that if an undeniable evidence surfaces against Kaspersky, then I will immediately uninstall the product. Until then, I'm confident in using it. :)

I'm currently using Kaspersky Internet Security 2018, by the way. :)

Just like what others have said, it was illogical in the first place for the US Departments/Agencies to use a security software that is foreign in origin, let alone coming from a state deemed to be hostile.

D

Deleted member 65228

'm probably in the minority here. But, this is one person who won't be using Kaspersky anytime soon. I had a very bad experience with the software and the company a couple of years back. It totally wrecked one of my PC's. In addition, if there are concerns by the federal government about this software/company, why would I even want to chance it when there are so many other options out there?!
The U.S government aren't banning the software for everyone, only for their own systems. There is no evidence for Kaspersky actually spying on them and forwarding recorded data back to the Russian government, however the law in Russia is that you have to co-operate with providing information should the request be permitted under law AFAIK... I suspect this is the reason why it is being banned from being used on government systems, because should Kaspersky ever be forced to do something under law, they'll have no choice unless they pack their bags and move elsewhere.

The ban does not mean Kaspersky cannot be trusted or do not take their work seriously - they do a lot of work and have prevented billions of infections. They also offered source code auditing after things started being said about them.

Most security software does collect data though, and some vendors like Avast even sell it (and make this clear to the user during installation stages). If the government of the country where the product is being developed in enforces data sharing under the law, then there is not much that the vendor can do if they lose the battle (e.g. court).

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I actually think that if their only worry was that Kaspersky can be ordered to deliver information to the Russian government they would have banished all Russian security software not only Kaspersky.

Either Kaspersky grew too much and was becoming a threat to American companies in their own territory or something else happened and Kaspersky is paying the price.

stevethetester

Level 1
Verified
Jan 3, 2016
Typical USA witch hunt, all smoke and mirrors. Deflecting attention away from what is really going on by the country that has honed and refined the false flag operation to a fine art all in the name of "patriotism". How can we be sure that the same can't be said for any of the american vendors or is it possibly more a case of the CIA etc having already hacked these security suites but haven't been able to do the same with Kaspersky? I have absolutely no beef or affiliation with either USA or Russia but am just fed up of the new wave of McCarthy style tactics and will continue to Kaspersky Total Security 2018 without any qualms even though I also have a full and legal licence for Bitdefender Total Security 2018. Mind you, Bitdefender is Romanian, so perhaps the witch hunt will extend to them as well at some point because of Romania's past relationship with Russia.........

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
This is just a bunch of crap, Kaspersky has been around for more than 20 years, why now? BestBuy banning the product as well, crazy.

Besides the current politics, it maybe that Kaspersky is not playing ball with Western intelligence agencies. White listing malware, back doors and what not.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.