App Review Various Ransomware Encryptors vs UAC and System Restore

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Ransomware Encryptors are a current hot topic and correctly so, as much valuable and personal data may be lost to them. Although there is much discussion regarding 3rd party means of protection, many totally disregard the protection that already comes as default with Windows, namely UAC and System Restore.

Sadly many have disabled either UAC or System Restore or both without replacing their functionality with products that will meet or exceed the protection that they provide.

This Video will recount what can happen on a Windows 7 system with UAC (at minimum) and system restore enabled. There is no other anti-malware protection used, nor will any 3rd party software be used to clean up the system post infection. The malware used are 16 current malware Encryptors of different classes (and popular variants). They will be run sequentially and we'll see what happens...

(Pardon the long run-time of the Video. I thought it important to do things in real time without any cuts).

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
LOL

people are responsible running unknown applications like ransomware. ransomwere do not run by itself.

Even if UAC is turned ON, most user just know that when such messages are shown he has to click "Yes" othewise the software will not run. So when he runs a ransomware and UAC asks user permission, user will just click "Yes" without giving a second thought. So UAC is useless in my opinion.

Last edited:
I

illumination

user will just click "Yes" without giving a second thought. So UAC is useless in my opinion.

In this video, UAC protected system restore, enabling her to undo the changes that effected the system.

Even if what you stated were to be the case, then no security product would protect the user/s. One simply can not protect one from themselves :p

Reactions: rienna

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Great to see how the bare minimum on Windows 7 can actually protect against possibly the worst type of malware infection.

I now feel over loaded with my own security set-up.

Regards Eck:)

Reactions: rienna

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.