Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Source: HowToGeek.com
All of these features work similarly. You start up your virtual machine, launch the programs you want to use, and then enable “Seamless Mode” or “Unity Mode.” The guest operating system’s desktop and the virtual machine window will vanish, leaving the guest operating system’s windows on your desktop. They’ll appear to be running as if they were running on your host operating system, but the virtual machine is still running in the background. The programs are still sandboxed so they won’t have access to your host operating system’s files — they just appear to be running on the host operating system.

These tricks work whether you’re using Windows, Linux, or Mac. You can seamlessly run Windows programs on your Linux desktop or run Linux software on a Windows one.

VirtualBox and VMWare Player are both free to download and for personal use.

If you have used both, how do each compare and which one do you think is more flexible or better (with reasons)?

Reactions: JimD and jim lin

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Just to add.. :)

Experimental Idea: I'm thinking of possibly trying a new solution by installing Linux in one VM software, where I can run seamlessly run any software without compromising Windows itself to new files or folders, and leftover registry items. Not necessary a malware issue, as I said it's just an idea.

And wondering if anyone here has used either Vbox or VMWare?

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
thanks Huracan this is interesting

i'v not tryed Seamless mode in Virtualbox yet and it's the first i'v heard of it so i'll
have to play around with it now lol

i'v not used VMware Player in a long time do's it still use 4 virtual network adapters
i think that was the turn off for me when i used it last that and it has less features
than Vurtialbox

so i did not vote but you got me thinking lol

:)

James

Reactions: Ink

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
well this is cool much better than full screen mode

looks a little strange with 2 taskbars though with the Win 7 taskbar on top of the Win 8 one lol

i'll play some more with it

thanks so very much again

James

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
VMWare Player does have 4 system services in the background, but less than 4,000K (Memory usage) and only 2 network adapters. I've uninstalled VMWare Player on my host, as I was running out of storage space. It's good to hear you're trying seamless mode out, and keep us updated. :)

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
wow after using seamless mode for a while i sure like it

i put my Win 8.1 taksbar on the top of my screen and the Win 7 VM taskbar goes to the bottom
of my screen now it is really like i have 2 pc's in one now lol

i just need to remember which one i'm using because it confuses me sometimes since thay sort of
look alike so i need to be carefull which one i install things in

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.