Solved Virus from ufonts.com

Maz123

Thread author
Jan 28, 2015
I tried to download a font from ufonts.com and seem to have caught something. Computer is going increasingly slower and not doing what I say, so after removing the browser extensions, I assume there is a virus or similar at work in the background that is causing trouble. Please help!

Details of steps taken so far:
I have removed the extensions from Firefox and Chrome, and deleted the file that I had downloaded (I can't remember what they were called, which is annoying). It's obvious there is still something going on in the background. I have also run MalwareBytes and Microsoft Security Essentials, and they don't seem to have picked anything up, aside from 1 file, which MalwareBytes deleted. I downloaded Farbar Recovery Scan Tool, then (as in the instructions) right-clicked to run as admin, and pressed scan, but all that happened was the window for the application kind of greyed out, like it was unable to do anything. I waited for a wee while but nothing seemed to be happening. I also tried the 32-bit version but that didn't work.

Maz123

Thread author
Jan 28, 2015
Hi,

Thank you very much for your response. I have already downloaded both of the files, ran it as admin, then pressed scan but it didn't work - the app window whitened out and didn't give me any sort of response (how long is it supposed to take? unless that's normal, but it really looked like it wasn't doing anything, and I left it like that for a while, just incase). Please advise.

Many thanks

Maz123

Thread author
Jan 28, 2015
Here are the two generated files...

Many thanks again for your help :)

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    49.8 KB · Views: 63
  • FRST.txt
    50 KB · Views: 60

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
127.0.0.1 3dns-1.adobe.com 3dns-2.adobe.com 3dns-3.adobe.com 3dns-4.adobe.com 3dns.adobe.com activate-sea.adobe.com activate-sjc0.adobe.com activate.adobe.com activate.wip.adobe.com activate.wip1.adobe.com activate.wip2.adobe.com activate.wip3.adobe.com activate.wip4.adobe.com adobe-dns-1.adobe.com adobe-dns-2.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 adobe-dns-3.adobe.com adobe-dns-4.adobe.com adobe-dns.adobe.com adobeereg.com crl.verisign.net ereg.adobe.com ereg.wip.adobe.com ereg.wip1.adobe.com ereg.wip2.adobe.com ereg.wip3.adobe.com ereg.wip4.adobe.com hl2rcv.adobe.com ood.opsource.net practivate.adobe practivate.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 practivate.adobe.ipp practivate.adobe.newoa practivate.adobe.ntp wip.adobe.com wip1.adobe.com wip2.adobe.com wip3.adobe.com wip4.adobe.com wwis-dubc1-vip60.adobe.com www.adobeereg.com www.wip.adobe.com www.wip1.adobe.com www.wip2.adobe.com www.wip3.adobe.com www.wip4.adobe.com

This topic will be closed due to presence of pirated content.

Piracy policy

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
remove%20outdated.jpg
Uninstall some programs

We need to uninstall some unwanted/unneeded programs.
  • Press the
    WindowsKey.png
    + R on your keyboard at the same time. Type appwiz.cpl and click OK.
  • Search there for each entry mentioned below, right-click the entry and click Uninstall one at a time
The list of programs to uninstall:
  • Bundled software uninstaller
  • Search Protection
  • UpdaterEX
  • uuniasaLes
After completing uninstalls, please manually reboot your machine!

Note: If you get the message like: An error occurred while trying to uninstall, just press Yes.

FRST.gif
Fix with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

icon_exclaim.gif
This fix was created for this user for use on that particular machine.
icon_exclaim.gif

icon_exclaim.gif
Running it on another one may cause damage and render the system unstable.
icon_exclaim.gif

Download attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop:

Both files, FRST and fixlist.txt have to be in the same location or the fix will not work!

• Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
    Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Press the Fix button just once and wait.
  • If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
  • When finished FRST will generate a log on the Desktop, called Fixlog.txt.

Please attach it to your reply.

adwcleaner_new.png
Fix with AdwCleaner

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save the file to your Desktop.
  • Right-click on
    adwcleaner_new.png
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
    Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • Wait until the database is updated.
  • Accept the Terms of use and click Scan.
  • When finished, please click Clean.
  • Upon completion, click Report. A log (AdwCleaner[S*].txt) will open.

Please include the contents of that file in your reply.

Note: Reports will be saved in your system partition, usually at C:\Adwcleaner

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    7.5 KB · Views: 55

Maz123

Thread author
Jan 28, 2015
Uninstall some programs
- I couldn't see any of the progs you mentioned (I wonder whether I had already uninstalled them as I know I def removed two that are in the list?)

Farbar
- Fixlog.txt.attached

Fix with AdwCleaner
- I had already run this prog last night. But have run it again, following your instructions and attached file. Have also attached file from last night.

Thanks

Attachments

• Fixlog.txt
    14.6 KB · Views: 42
  • AdwCleaner[S0].txt
    10 KB · Views: 44
  • AdwCleaner[S1].txt
    990 bytes · Views: 34

Maz123

Thread author
Jan 28, 2015
Yes, I can see a huge improvement, it's a lot faster. I was basically at a standstill last night.
Do the logs look clear now?
Thank you very much for your time.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Yes, logs are fine now.

Your Google Chrome is altered by malware, I recommend to reinstall it to restore full functionality.

Glad I could help. We will delete all used tools and I'll give you some tips to harden your security and learn how to protect yourself :)

Recommended reading:
icon_exclaim.gif
MUST READ - security tips:

icon_exclaim.gif
MUST READ - general maintenance:

The Importance of Software Updating:

In order to stay protected it is
very important that you regularly update all of your software. Cybercriminals depend on the apathy of users around software updates to keep their malicious endeavor running.

Operating systems, such as Windows, and applications, such as Adobe Reader or JAVA, are used by tens of millions of computers and devices around the world, making them a huge target for cybercriminals. Downloading updates and installing them can sometimes be tedious, but the advantages you get from the updates are certainly worth it.

Recommended additional software:
icon_arrow.gif
TFC - to clean unneeded temporary files.
icon_arrow.gif
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - to scan your system from time to time in search for malware.
icon_arrow.gif
Malwarebytes' Anti-Exploit - to prevent plenty of mostly exploited vulnerabilities.
icon_arrow.gif
McShield - to prevent infections spread by removable media.
icon_arrow.gif
Unchecky - to prevent from installing additional foistware, implemented in legitimate installations.
icon_arrow.gif
Adblock - to surf the web without annoying ads!

Post-cleanup procedures:

Download DelFix by Xplode and save it to your desktop.
  • Run the tool by right click on the
    51a5ce45263de-delfix.png
    icon and Run as administrator option.
  • Make sure that these ones are checked:
    • Remove disinfection tools
    • Purge system restore
    • Reset system settings
  • Push Run and wait until the tool completes his work.
  • All tools we used should be gone. Tool will create an report for you (C:\DelFix.txt)
The tool will also record healthy state of registry and make a backup using ERUNT program in %windir%\ERUNT\DelFix
Tool deletes old system restore points and create a fresh system restore point after cleaning.

My help is free for everybody.
If you're happy with the help provided and/or wish to buy me a beer for the assistance you received, then you can consider a donation:
Thank you!​

Stay safe,
TwinHeadedEagle :)

Maz123

Thread author
Jan 28, 2015
I have a couple of questions please...

Are you advising I delete the FRST and adcleaner?... and/or I should follow the post clean-up procedure? (which looks like it does the same thing, and a bit more?) I thought I could maybe keep adcleaner incase I needed to use it again?

I'm currently using CCleaner - can I keep using this, or would you reccommend TFC instead/aswell

I am using Microsoft Secuirity Essentials, which I quite like, should I be using McShield instead? Or is that the same as using MalwareBytes?

Thank you so much! :)

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Yes, I advise to delete the tools, you can always download Adwcleaner again.

Stick with CCleaner please, it is much better tool.

MCSHield is designed to prevent infections transmitting via removable/pen drives. If you're using them, then you mush have this program. It is not antivirus. All the tools I recommended can work together with your Antivirus.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.