VLC Windows 8.1/8 Bug(MKV stuttering and lagging)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stardust018

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2015
I asked about my problem on VLC forum but there is no answer
I noticed a problem with VLC(all 2 and 2+ version) on windows 8/8.1. When I play 720/1080p MKV-s they're stuttering and lagging on some parts. Then i increased file and disc caching from 300 to 1000 and the stuttering and lagging was gone.
For a test I moved from windows 8.1 to windows 7. On windows 7 there was no stuttering and lagging on VLC default settings. So my questions are: why on windows 8.1 to solve the stuttering i had to increase the file and disc caching from 300 to 1000 and on windows 7 was everything fine on default settings? Is that a bug or is that stuttering only happening to me on windows 8.1? On both os were the latest drivers installed. I don't think it's a hardware problem because i have a FX 8320 and GTX 760. This problem also happens on my older pc with windows 8.1(i3 2120/hd7750)
I tested the same MKVs in other players(MPC-HC, GOM,BS,Zoom,Pot.... and there was no problem)
Which player should I use?

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
can confirm I have the same issue and im using GT555M and GTX760.

two separate systems, both running w8.1

This is why i tend to use SMPlayer.

On a side note: Ubuntu 14.04 does seem to have the occasional stuttering but it seems random, using VLC.

Stardust018

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2015
It's glad to know that I'm not alone with this problem. I hope that some one will explain why increasing cache helps

FireShootSK

Level 17
Verified
Feb 17, 2015
Have you updated graphic driver? I have no problems on Intel Core i5 4200M and GeForce GTX 710M Windows 7/8.1.
Only mkv doing problems or other formats too?

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
no shuttering here in vlc

other video players are potplayer, MPC BE, gomplayer, light alloy

FireShootSK

Level 17
Verified
Feb 17, 2015
Maybe your problem is codec. Try download some codec pack for MKV. Windows 8 sometimes have with this problems.

Stardust018

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2015
Have you updated graphic driver? I have no problems on Intel Core i5 4200M and GeForce GTX 710M Windows 7/8.1.
Only mkv doing problems or other formats too?

no shuttering here in vlc

other video players are potplayer, MPC BE, gomplayer, light alloy

For some reason VLC would solve in changing some configuration for better playback configuration:

http://www.review-ninja.com/2010/08/optimizing-vlc-media-player-for-h264.html

But other alternative is use the built in from Windows 8.1 where MKV format is supported.
I have the latest driver. This problem bothers me since windows 8 was released. The only driver I haven't install is the chipset driver because it isn't available for windows 8.1 on Asus site. This problem only happen in VLC if the cache isn't increased and I only noticed with MKVs.
for example stuttering is visible on Lincoln 2012(Outside Petersburg scene) The release is 1080p Sparks. I also tryed different release group and it's the ssame problem. Only on windows 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.