Webroot: No Discussion of "Private" Malware Testing Permitted

Status
Not open for further replies.

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
I have used Webroot in the past. After becoming infected I removed it. They might have improved over a few years though. This is one AV program I will never try again.! To the people that are using Webroot all I can say is Good Luck.!

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Nobody should take Webroot seriously, they always talk how amazingly different and new their approach to malware protection is (Journaling and keyboard encryption) but they never talk about how almost every big vendor uses the same techniques (Kaspersky, Bitdefender and so forth). Their software is a flipping joke: no firewall under Windows 8 (their excuse is Windows 8 doesn't allow FW controll, tell that to Avira and Trend Micro haha), if you bluescreen the OS every journaled file is lost, it also doesn't have any real self protection and their kernel driver is a mess and full of bugs.

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Hmm.. What a surprise.. I thought that Webroot is quite good. Is Webroot really that bad?
I tried their product one time and then it was quite OK, no issues etc.... Don't know about their customer support.

Regards,
Kardo

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
You were answered
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Id...een-Locker-Using-Key-Combination/idi-p/195511
09096.gif

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Nobody should take Webroot seriously, they always talk how amazingly different and new their approach to malware protection is (Journaling and keyboard encryption) but they never talk about how almost every big vendor uses the same techniques (Kaspersky, Bitdefender and so forth).
No:D
Kaspersky, Bitdefender and so forth /
02100.gif

imag_es.png

I

illumination

Thread author
It appears they have forum rules and procedures just as we do here at MT, and just like here if one fails to follow them, they will get reminded.

Reactions: Triple Helix

Rakanisheu

Level 1
Verified
Feb 13, 2015
I am the person that you were dealing with on the forum (and the support ticket).

Seems like the folks over at Webroot do not hold us MalwareTip-types in very high regard

Where are you getting that from? You seem quite defensive which I don't understand, we answered your questions and I thanked you for the sample.

Anyone trying to openly report (on the Webroot Community Forum) a legitimate bug discovered while "privately" testing Webroot SecureAnywhere against malware is quickly snubbed.

You didn't find a bug you submitted a sample that was at the time unknown in our database. I tested the file and marked it bad in the database. It's now blocked on execution. We don't like people posting about testing as it can be dangerous if people who are not experienced start testing they can end up infecting there own PC.

We have plenty of people that test malware and I am in contact with them via messages. We always welcome feedback (both postive and negative) or indeed samples from our customers.

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
The thing I like about Webroot is that it's very light on my system.
What is the difference between my antivirus and Webroot SecureAnywhere?
• Detects, blocks and removes all infections including highly sophisticated
banking malware from your PC in the fastest possible time.
• Has an integrated Identity Shield feature that provides a secondary layer of
defence against financial and information stealing malicious software.
• Identity Shield assumes your PC may already be infected with sophisticated
and hard to detect malware such as a banking Trojan and neutralises the
threat by shutting off its data theft activities on your PC, thereby keeping your
identity and online activities secure.
• Doesn’t need virus definition updates, these go out of date within minutes.
Instead it uses the Webroot Intelligence Network (the world’s largest threat
intelligence database) to identify new files and classify threats in real time.
In this way, it identifies brand new threats in seconds, rather than hours or
days and significantly minimizes the risks posed by malware.
• It is lightweight and uses the least PC resources of any antivirus. At less than
1 megabyte in size, it’s tiny compared to conventional antivirus software that
is on average around 500 megabytes!
• It is extremely fast, according to independent tests it’s the world’s fastest
antivirus. A normal deep scan takes 1-3 minutes depending on your
machine and will not slow down your PC.
:)

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Redacted by OP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't see what the problem is, Webroot recommended that you open a Support Ticket rather than public discussion.

A vulnerability should be reported in private rather than public. A very good, and recent example is the Youtube exploit that allowed any video to be deleted.

Triple Helix

Level 1
Jan 18, 2015
Hello,

Seems like the folks over at Webroot do not hold us MalwareTip-types in very high regard.

Anyone trying to openly report (on the Webroot Community Forum) a legitimate bug discovered while "privately" testing Webroot SecureAnywhere against malware is quickly snubbed.

Such bugs are only to be reported via a Support Ticket request.

Violating their reporting protocol will "lead to unpleasantness."

For real, for real ??!!!

:D
Well did you read the Webroot Community Guidelines? https://community.webroot.com/t5/Announcements-and-Release-Notes/Webroot-Community-Guidelines/td-p/2 also it's the Webroot Support Forum not a Security discussion Forum.

Thanks,

TH ;)

Reactions: Petrovic

Triple Helix

Level 1
Jan 18, 2015
I have used Webroot in the past. After becoming infected I removed it. They might have improved over a few years though. This is one AV program I will never try again.! To the people that are using Webroot all I can say is Good Luck.!

Sorry to hear did you contact Support as WSA can rollback to a pre-infection state see this short video: https://community.webroot.com/t5/We...f-Webroot-quot-Misses-quot-a-Virus/ta-p/10202 and how the WIN Cloud works
Code:
https://youtu.be/GqvVTE8-fA4
here is some info as to how much malware was seen in 2014 alone.

Thanks,

TH

Reactions: Petrovic

Triple Helix

Level 1
Jan 18, 2015
Hmm.. What a surprise.. I thought that Webroot is quite good. Is Webroot really that bad?
I tried their product one time and then it was quite OK, no issues etc.... Don't know about their customer support.

Regards,
Kardo
Webroot's support is second to none the Ticket system is manned 24/7/365 1/4 days a year! :)

TH ;)

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Redacted by OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.