Webroot SecureAnywhere Internet Security Complete 2015 - PCMag EDITOR RATING: EXCELLENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Effective Antivirus
Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus (2015) is the tiniest antivirus around, and its installation and scanning are both super-fast. The mega-suite is slightly bigger, but it still takes about one tenth the disk space of the average suite. Read my review of the antivirus for full details. I'll simply summarize here.

None of the six independent labs I follow currently include Webroot in their regular testing, though Dennis Technology Labs will add Webroot in the first quarter of 2015. A private test by Dennis Labs earlier this year revealed that Webroot would have earned top-level AAA certification. Webroot was also one of just three product to pass in a test by MRG-Effitas.

Webroot's malware detection relies on a cloud service that analyzes program behaviors, not on antivirus signatures. On detecting an unknown process, Webroot starts journaling all its actions and watching for signs that it's malicious. If a process steps over the line, Webroot reverses all of its actions. Until a process gets the green light, irreversible actions like transmitting information to the Internet are suppressed.

I observed this feature in action; some of my malware samples initially seemed to get past the antivirus, but after a few minutes it started wiping them out. In the end it earned a perfect 10 points in my hands-on malware blocking test.

The suite also earned a very good score in my malicious URL blocking test. This test challenges each antivirus with 100 extremely new malware-hosting URLs. I record whether the product blocked access to the URL, wiped out the malware payload during download, or did nothing. With 73 percent blocking, Webroot did better than all but a handful of its competitors.

Sub-Ratings:
Note: These sub-ratings contribute to a product's overall star rating, as do other factors, including ease of use in real-world testing, bonus features, and overall integration of features.
Firewall:
pcm_3_5_dot.gif

Antivirus:
pcm_4_5_dot.gif

Performance:
pcm_5_dot.gif

Antispam: n/a
Privacy:
pcm_3_dot.gif

Parental Control: n/a

Full Article

Reactions: Adhit Prakosho

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
Actually there is no 2015 range of Webroot products, only Neil J. Rubenking seems to think that. I don't think Webroot releases even work that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.