App Review Webroot SecureAnywhere Test and Review

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

LABView707

Level 3
Verified
Aug 12, 2014
If you at least tried and used WSA then you would know how it works. WSA would place that exe into monitored processes. When you connect then it would verify that file with the cloud. If found malicious it would remove it. Monitored exex's cannot ahrm your pc. WSA offers USB protection. Again if you are sticking infected USB sticks into your own pc then that is directly your fault. Disable autoruns and install MC Shield then. If your USB stick is immunized then your all set. I have 2 USB sticks I use for malware removal calls. I place those sticks into infected pc's. I then bring those sticks back home. When I insert them into my pc nothing ever happens.

LABView707

Level 3
Verified
Aug 12, 2014
I love when people say this without knowing how something works. Again who is ever offline for an extended period of time? 99% of the time you always are. Everywhere I bring my laptop I have a wfi connection. If not I can use my phone as a mobile hot spot. If you have been offline for an extended period of time a non cloud av is also not receiving updates.

Reactions: Game Of Thrones

phyniks

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Nov 17, 2013
If you at least tried and used WSA then you would know how it works. WSA would place that exe into monitored processes. When you connect then it would verify that file with the cloud. If found malicious it would remove it.
Please do NOT answer when you ve not read my sentences completely
I m now using WSA and I exactly know how they work (with the connection)
I asked to see the protection while being Offline.

Again if you are sticking infected USB sticks into your own pc then that is directly your fault

:D:D:D
Very nice logic
This can be the answer of any antivirus with poor protection....you got an infection,that s your own fault .....

Disable autoruns and install MC Shield then.

Well we wanna see how is WSA ... not combining a security config....how abou this:
-MSE has great protection!!!
- How?!!!
- Use it alongside Emsisoft!!!

If your USB stick is immunized then your all set. I have 2 USB sticks I use for malware removal calls. I place those sticks into infected pc's. I then bring those sticks back home. When I insert them into my pc nothing ever happens.

Again...You did nt read my post carefully
Sometimes I get USB flash from a fiend and it had been infected....Sometimes I got a USB flash which had been sticked to an infected system.
Maybe you ve immunised all your friends' USB Flash.
Or maybe it s "directly your own fault" if you have a friend with a unimmunised flash drive.:cool:

Reactions: Oxygen and vrb93

LABView707

Level 3
Verified
Aug 12, 2014
We are all in a security forum. If you found this forum and signed up then most should have knowledge of how to stay malware free. Some of the first steps in staying malware free is done by disabling autoruns and immunizing your USB sticks. Again if you are sticking your friends infected USB stick into your non infected pc then that is your own fault. Common sense plays a big roll here. Just nothing can protect a click happy person.

MSE was not designed to run along side another av. WSA was. MC Shield is a stand alone USB malware scanner. So if you regularly stick infected USB sticks into your own pc then I higly suggest using MC Shield. Again who is every really "offline"?

Last edited:

phyniks

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Nov 17, 2013
We are all in a security forum. If you found this forum and signed up then most should have knowledge of how to stay malware free. Some of the first steps in staying malware free is done by disabling autoruns and immunizing your USB sticks. Again if you are sticking your friends infected USB stick into your non infected pc then that is your own fault. Common sense plays a big roll here. Just nothing can protect a click happy person.

what is the role of security softwares then?
why we discuss the strenght of antiviruses?

Well.
I agree with you to some extend.
No one will get infected if he never opens a malicious file,never opens a suspicous website,never stick USB from a friend or a colleague,

and no antivirus is 100% strong.so common sense plays a big role.

but,we re talkning about Security software's ability to protect users when they ve done something which make their system vulnerable.

This forum has two major sections:
1-improving your security knowledge.
2-reviewing and comparing security softwares.

-You got infected .... it 's your own fault
-ok....but which Antivirus can protect me better when I make mistakes?

LABView707

Level 3
Verified
Aug 12, 2014
No antivirus can protect you from you. That is why you need to keep a system image handy. Be proactive and not reactive. I could careless if I ever get infected. Mount my stored image and presto. My pc is back to normal. But then again I have never had a malware infection in my life.

Reactions: Game Of Thrones
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
In case of bioskits you can reload any image, you will get infected each time.

A layered security setup (including AV, proactive softs, image backup, etc...) is the best way to stay safe.

Raider Red

Level 2
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
Thanks for the review. I have been using Webroot Security Complete for 1 1/2 years and not infected yet. Initially they talked about running it alongside another AV but most of the Webroot forum volunteers run it solo, as do I. It's also very good for keylogger security....but the big test...it passed my mother-in-law happy clicking test, which several of the large internet security programs failed. It simply works! :)

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
great video :cool: I did not like the fact when it's throwing popups for each detection when doing scans :eek:. They should show these details in scan windows :rolleyes: . Extremely irritating :mad: when you plugged one usb stick which has lots of virus.

P.S. -- Damn it's too costly :p
Very much agree - but in a different scenario. As I unzip malware packs, Webroot will notify the user very very slowly for each detection - even though those detections were already quarantined. Bad approach.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Yes it can be, but that is the point, if it is "Monitored" it is crippled and recorded for changes by WSA. (Right click the icon in the taskbar, choose Control Active Processes and you will see if the file is Monitored)
Later when deemed bad, or if you choose to block it, WSA will undo all changes by that file.

/W
You mean I still have to "unblock" it before Webroot will undo the damage? Will Webroot not prompt me that the process is malicious?

I have read also in other forums that Webroot' Journalizing feature is not flawless. Some users report that the "rollback" feature of Webroot failed in some instances making their systems really corrupt. Another flaw is that the WRDATA folder (if I remember it right) as reported by other users containing the journalizing logs of Webroot sometimes reach up to 9 GB in size - pathetic methodology in some cases then.

That is why I highly DOUBT the "wait-and-react"/"observe-then-cure" approach of Webroot - for me some damages CANNOT be undone. I will always prefer the PROACTIVE approach. The "wait-and-react" method of Webroot could be worse than the reactive approach of traditional AVs. But Webroot has the advantage of being always up to date in the cloud when online.

Anyway I love the lightness and speed of Webroot - I am using it right now, and tested it against 29 malwares, it quarantined 26.

Just saying my opinions - which could not be the truth.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Thanks for the review. I have been using Webroot Security Complete for 1 1/2 years and not infected yet. Initially they talked about running it alongside another AV but most of the Webroot forum volunteers run it solo, as do I. It's also very good for keylogger security....but the big test...it passed my mother-in-law happy clicking test, which several of the large internet security programs failed. It simply works! :)
This is real life scenario. Then Webroot is good.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
. If you have been offline for an extended period of time a non cloud av is also not receiving updates.
But at least those AVs have signatures on them.

Many users from other forums report how the rollback feature of Webroot has failed them.

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
You mean I still have to "unblock" it before Webroot will undo the damage? Will Webroot not prompt me that the process is malicious?

I have read also in other forums that Webroot' Journalizing feature is not flawless. Some users report that the "rollback" feature of Webroot failed in some instances making their systems really corrupt. Another flaw is that the WRDATA folder (if I remember it right) as reported by other users containing the journalizing logs of Webroot sometimes reach up to 9 GB in size - pathetic methodology in some cases then.

That is why I highly DOUBT the "wait-and-react"/"observe-then-cure" approach of Webroot - for me some damages CANNOT be undone. I will always prefer the PROACTIVE approach. The "wait-and-react" method of Webroot could be worse than the reactive approach of traditional AVs. But Webroot has the advantage of being always up to date in the cloud when online.

Anyway I love the lightness and speed of Webroot - I am using it right now, and tested it against 29 malwares, it quarantined 26.

Just saying my opinions - which could not be the truth.

Of course WSA will detect the file and remove it if and when it knows that the file is indeed bad.
But sometimes you install a program that you know for a fact is safe, but the program is not known by WSA, WSA will then monitor the file until their cloud deems it safe.
But if you already know it is safe or for that matter if you have a file running that you know is bad, you can choose to manually allow or block.

/W

Raider Red

Level 2
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
great video :cool: I did not like the fact when it's throwing popups for each detection when doing scans :eek:. They should show these details in scan windows :rolleyes: . Extremely irritating :mad: when you plugged one usb stick which has lots of virus.

P.S. -- Damn it's too costly :p
Wait until black Friday...I bought the WSA Complete 5 pc's for $9.95. The deals sure are good at that time!

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013

MSE was not designed to run along side another av. WSA was. MC Shield is a stand alone USB malware scanner. So if you regularly stick infected USB sticks into your own pc then I higly suggest using MC Shield. Again who is every really "offline"?
Although I do not auto-run the flash drives which hold my browsers, I do scan them periodically. Thank you for mentioning MC Shield as immunizing USB sticks sounds like the kind of "pro-active" habit I'll be happy with!:p

I was considering installing Webroot along side our Windows 8.1 Defender which has been our sole Anti-virus for nearly a year (Thanks MT!:p *waves). :eek:Opinions are (actually) welcome!!:D

Reactions: phyniks

phyniks

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Nov 17, 2013
Although I do not auto-run the flash drives which hold my browsers, I do scan them periodically. Thank you for mentioning MC Shield as immunizing USB sticks sounds like the kind of "pro-active" habit I'll be happy with!:p

I was considering installing Webroot along side our Windows 8.1 Defender which has been our sole Anti-virus for nearly a year (Thanks MT!:p *waves). :eek:Opinions are (actually) welcome!!:D

Well....I think you d rather choose one of them.....or choose a better free solution(such as Avast Free)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.