Battle Webroot vs Panda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
Webroot is lighter. The lightes av out there. i would go with webroot. it has a advanced rollback future,realy advanced. it monitores all unknown prozesses and when webroot find out this process is malicious it rolls back all the aktions this process has made,panda cant hold on with this. Sure,panda have better detection but better detection dont mean better protection. if panda miss a sample ur system is infected and the malware can make what it want. if webroot doesnt detect a sample,the sample can make what it want too,but if later webroot find out its malware,it will roll most likly all back,thats where panda cant hold on.

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
Webroot is lighter. The lightes av out there. i would go with webroot. it has a advanced rollback future,realy advanced. it monitores all unknown prozesses and when webroot find out this process is malicious it rolls back all the aktions this process has made,panda cant hold on with this. Sure,panda have better detection but better detection dont mean better protection. if panda miss a sample ur system is infected and the malware can make what it want. if webroot doesnt detect a sample,the sample can make what it want too,but if later webroot find out its malware,it will roll most likly all back,thats where panda cant hold on.
I unaware this function in the webroot, I never used webroot... Rollback function seems very useful indeed.

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
I unaware this function in the webroot, I never used webroot... Rollback function seems very useful indeed.
And if you BSOD the machine everything in the rollback snapshot gets destroyed... don't let yourself get fooled by their marketing or their "super awesome advanced cloud" or input scrambling... everything Webroot claims to do has been used for a long time in quite a lot of products... Kaspersky has had rollback for 5 years IIRC (2015 even has Cryptolocker rollback...), same goes for cloud detection and the likes. Norton, Bitdefender, GData, almost everyone of the big players use similar techniques.
They also haven't fixed the firewall in Windows 8 (they claim it's impossible, which is BS).

Oops forgot to add: go for Panda: solid detection, okay performance, free (and for some users: European company based in Spain)

Last edited:

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Panda seems to have the higher detection here compared to webroot, both of them have a very similar performance impact because they are extremely light. Although webroot has a roll back feature, the damage is already done, the banking trojan has already stolen your bank credentials, the RAT has already recorded your sessions, the cryptolocker has already encrypted all your files (and unless webroot has the ability to unencrypt files it's useless). Although Panda is a good choice they do screw up too, some time ago they sent an update to all their users which locked them out of their own computer and cause them to be unbootable. This was a huge issue and of course the update was pulled from the system ASAP. But something this big scale has never happened before to any AV vendors out there.

Also Panda has the advantage of being free while webroot is paid only.

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
This was a huge issue and of course the update was pulled from the system ASAP. But something this big scale has never happened before to any AV vendors out there.
This has happened to almost every AV vendor... McAfee, AVG, Trend Micro, Kaspersky and IIRC Bitdefender too and those are only the ones I can recall, there might have been even more cases.

Reactions: SillyBilly299

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
This has happened to almost every AV vendor... McAfee, AVG, Trend Micro, Kaspersky and IIRC Bitdefender too and those are only the ones I can recall, there might have been even more cases.
Hmm must have happened a long time ago, I don't recall seeing it on any sites. Thanks for the clarification! :)

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I won't give an actually opinion here, just a few things I've noticed when using them (which wasn't for very long). Webroot for whatever reason don't like my system very much. Slows things down once in a while (mainly when browsing the internet). Panda runs without complications. Both of them seem to quarantine then give the user a choice to move back/add to exclusions. Panda is free and Webroot isn't.

So for me I'd have to go with Panda. In my situation it has many advantages over Webroot. Panda also seems to have less false positives, however in my tests, Webroot detected more (but not by enough to really care about it). Again though, I would still have to go with Panda. It being free and giving you well above average detection rates allows it to win easily. If you compared both of them by the paid product, again Panda wins.

H

hjlbx

Webroot is lighter than Panda.

However, Webroot will not protect Windows firewall and UAC settings. User needs to employ Guest Account or add an anti-executable - like VooDooShield - which by the way - a lot of the advanced Webroot users do.

On W8\8.1 and W10 systems Webroot's firewall controls are disabled - not because of Webroot but because of Windows.

Webroot doesn't like my AMD W8.1 system - nor does it get along with Shadow Defender on my system.

Personally, I like Webroot - just don't use it because of the above.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Features then Webroot has an advantage for this, rollback feature should help you a lot however as a main concept, well still depends on the detection behavior analysis to determine malicious and perform undo functions as confirmation, so if still bypass then it doesn't guarantee its effectiveness.

Protection capabilities may vary even though incorporated within cloud, FP rates cannot prevented like I've encountered with Panda before.

strumdrum

Level 1
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Webroot all the way. I have used both extensively and in my experience, Webroot has faster scan times, a better UI, and most importantly, better protection. Also, It was the only AV I tested that could completely remove the Keylogger that was (intentionally) installed on my PC. This is what ultimately won me over. I also love the fact that it encrypts your keystokes.

D

Deleted member 178

webroot because:

1- my review : http://malwaretips.com/threads/review-webroot-sa-complete-v8.4004/
2- i am a closed beta-tester.
3- detection is obsolete , prevention rules.
4- lightness on system, only ESET can come close to Webroot SA.
5- WSA can be and was designed as companon AV, not Panda

not saying many don't understand how some features of WSA works. read my review for a better understanding.

about keylogger

Hanmin147 said:
Although webroot has a roll back feature, the damage is already done, the banking trojan has already stolen your bank credentials, the RAT has already recorded your sessions, the cryptolocker has already encrypted all your files (and unless webroot has the ability to unencrypt files it's useless).

exactly what i said above. misunderstanding.

WSA will detect the potential unsafeness of a file , that file will be flagged as risky until the cloud check (could take some time) says it is not ; in the meanwhile the malware's process will be compartmented and unable to reach sensitive areas of the OS. Then if the cloud says it is a malware , the rollback features activate and then the malware is cleaned (if possible).

for the cryptolocker, the rollback cant restore all files, only a certain amount of files are restored due to backup space.

Last edited by a moderator:

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
for the cryptolocker, the rollback cant restore all files, only a certain amount of files are restored due to backup space.

Hi Umbra, this sounds like something they (WSA) could make a option of, the user choose were and how much space should be allocated for rollback?
Is this something you could push forward as a suggestion in the Beta testers group?

/W

D

Deleted member 178

WSA beta-testers have few contact with devs unfortunately...unlike Emsisoft which we have direct contact and they take our suggestions very seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.