Not open for further replies.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Hello.

Is Norton good enough?

I have noticed that it is light, but is it good enough, especially if the computer is offline?

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Norton is in worst state. Its malware detection rate is low. Its proactive protecion is also very bad.

You are wasting your money buying it.

good products are ESET, F SECURE, EMSISOFT, Bullguard, 360 INTERNET SECURITY, Trend Micro, Kaspersky.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Norton is in worst state. Its malware detection rate is low. Its proactive protecion is also very bad.

You are wasting your money buying it.

good products are ESET, F SECURE, EMSISOFT, Bullguard, 360 INTERNET SECURITY, Trend Micro, Kaspersky.
Are you sure about that? I have heard similar reviews. I know that detection is quite low, but others say when online it is good.

I was a fan of emsisoft, but a little heavy on a netbook.
ESET is not fully compatible with Windows 8.1 Update 1.
Bullguard is buggy.
Trend Micro never tried.
Kaspersky lighter now, but still heavy on netbook.
360 IS, big updates but light on system.
F-secure, never tried.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
You are the only one saying that.
I had installed norton on my other PC before i got bitdefender, like i said i used to offer me good protection. I used to slow my pc only during the scan process. I used to borrow my friends stuffs and use it on my pc, it had great detection. Still now Bitdefender Didnt catch what norton had. The IDM Patch was never caught by BIS but was detected only from Trend Micro and Norton. And now i am wishing to buy a norton product for myself, as soon as my ESET expires. In my current PC. Many of my friends are still using norton, until now they say their pc is awesome. SO if u still hav doubt why dont u test yourself?

Reactions: Thunderbold

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
I had installed norton on my other PC before i got bitdefender, like i said i used to offer me good protection. I used to slow my pc only during the scan process. I used to borrow my friends stuffs and use it on my pc, it had great detection. Still now Bitdefender Didnt catch what norton had. The IDM Patch was never caught by BIS but was detected only from Trend Micro and Norton. And now i am wishing to buy a norton product for myself, as soon as my ESET expires. In my current PC. Many of my friends are still using norton, until now they say their pc is awesome. SO if u still hav doubt why dont u test yourself?
Actually I am using a trial version, and it so slow in reacting to malwares, and low detection rates - about 60%.

Reactions: yigido

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
If u talking about netbook, better u install light antivirus like webroot , Baidu, Qihoo or try avira or avast free with window firewall. Also u can add great url filter like K9 ( customize), Panda url filter & Avira browser safety. I tested K9 ( customize settings ) against malicious url & it's blocked almost every url, Avira & panda url filter are great :)

Reactions: Venustus

mmmory

Level 2
Verified
Nov 4, 2013

That IDM patch may just be a false positive. Because 2 detection is not enough to say the file is malicious since every crack tends to be detected by antiviruses even they are harmless. Especially the one is from norton as it says every file suspicious if it's too new and not being used by many of its users.

Norton's raw file detection is horrendous as you can see from the malware hub in this forum. Surely that doesn't mean anything but not every computer is connected to internet everytime. And it's webshield is pretty much non existent, it can only detect the most common phishing and malware sites which are also being detected by google chrome's and firefox's malware filter anyway. The only good thing that I can say about norton is that its intrusion prevention system is pretty good and able to block network attacks successfully. It's also very light but that's because it does its job mostly online to check a file's reputation. If a file is new and not commonly used by norton users, norton will alert even the cleanest file just because it's newly released. Also the last 2 products I tested from norton (2013-2014) were too buggy. They had tons of issues with windows 8, showing 2 taskbar icons, not able to scan, bsods, random error messages that can't be fixed etc.

Bottom line is if it was 2012, I would glady recommend norton but today norton is just a mess and not worth the money for me. Even the free products such as avira, comodo, avast and 360 are betten then norton.

Last edited:

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
It doesn't lags on my pc, r u talking about netbook? maybe it slow down a bit when qihoo updates, but didn't feel any slow down on my pc.
Netbook,yes
Yes, using K9.

Avira- Too heavy!
Baidu -has scanning errors. Only the Quick Scan works.
Webroot - don't have the money

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Netbook,yes
Yes, using K9.

Avira- Too heavy!
Baidu -has scanning errors. Only the Quick Scan works.
Webroot - don't have the money

Ok so what is ur settings in K9? Try avast free antivirus with window firewall then? Did u enable UAC & smartscreen?

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
UAC - max
Smartscreen - Yes

Avast - not so heavy but not so light.
Try avast then & install adblock addon in ur browser. it helps u to block malicious ads too. In K9, use custom settings . better u tick "unrated" in k9 custom settings coz that's how it detects more malicious url in my test. also add panda url filter, it's great at detecting malicious url, if k9 miss something panda will caught it.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
I dont like to return to Avast.

Yes I am using custom setting in K9.

What can you say about Panda Cloud Free?

It is so light and with the least read/write on HDD

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
I dont like to return to Avast.

Yes I am using custom setting in K9.

What can you say about Panda Cloud Free?

It is so light and with the least read/write on HDD

It's protection is not better. it's on demand scanner is failure for now & 0 day protection is not good. i watched it reviews in youtube. U using Eset Nod32 & it's very good. If u think ESET is heavy for ur PC & u want a light & strong AV then i suggest u to use qihoo coz it's better then Baidu & webroot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.