What about pirated copies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrMi

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
Just wanted to ask, many of my friends have pirated windows, which is activated. They also got the notification to upgrade to Windows 10. Will they get it? Or something non-genuine. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 178

i guess it will be detected and they will not be able to install it.

it is the same for Win7 to Win8 , the registration will surely be different.

FireShootSK

Level 17
Verified
Feb 17, 2015
Win 10 notification is distributed via update KB3035583. It is only notification about Windows 10 reservation. I think for upgrade they must verify product key.

Last edited:

PrMi

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
Well, my friend got the notification and reserved it. He had to run gwx.exe for it.... His Windows activation says genuine, though it's pirated. So, I mean, his Windows 7 says it's activated, if he upgrades to Windows 10, will it say not activated/non-genuine or activated.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Well, my friend got the notification and reserved it. He had to run gwx.exe for it.... His Windows activation says genuine, though it's pirated. So, I mean, his Windows 7 says it's activated, if he upgrades to Windows 10, will it say not activated/non-genuine or activated.
At the moment Windows 10 boots for the first time, he will get notification about pirated copy and that he needs to activate Windows within 30 days.

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Pirated copy will be able to upgrade to windows 10.

i guess they will let pirated copy run for one year hoping some of them will like windows 10 and will opt to buy it.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Remember they are many bypass tool to verify its genuine, however if the process for Windows 10 prove to be counterfeit then according on various articles, you can upgrade but license will be invalid which waiting to be expire.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
People with pirated Windows etc., really annoy me. I, like a huge majority of people on this forum pay for our license/cd/dvd keys, and we end up paying more because of people who have and use fake copies, just like car insurance. Microsoft should just block them as soon as they connect to the net.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
People with pirated Windows etc., really annoy me. I, like a huge majority of people on this forum pay for our license/cd/dvd keys, and we end up paying more because of people who have and use fake copies, just like car insurance. Microsoft should just block them as soon as they connect to the net.

You got to realize that some people may or may not have the money to buy windows, which forces them to pirate it.

I will never understand why a person would pirate windows even though they have to buy a computer with a OS installed.

And I don't think Microsoft can block these activators as they run at boot. (They might figure out how to block it someday)

Last edited:

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
That's strange. If they are using pirated copies, then they shouldn't (according to Microsoft) even be able to get the notification at all.

Why don’t I have the Get Windows 10 app?
4. Your device is not running genuine Windows.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

Well that would only come into play if the license was detected as invalid but there are many tools to stop Microsoft from detecting that it is invalid. The license however will be checked when they upgrade to Windows 10. The crack they used on Windows 7 or 8 will no longer work I'd imagine since it is a complete install of another OS which will put all those active cracks into a non-active state in the Windows.old folder. I'm sure people will as always find a way to crack it almost as soon as it comes out.

Personally I'm sticking with my genuine OEM licenses. Cracking Windows is a real good way to add a security hole in your operation system and I'm paranoid as hell when it comes to security. Mostly because of NSA spying. I'd find it pretty funny if pirates weren't able to find a way to active via crack on Windows 10. I do understand that Windows is expensive to buy a key with some people so at the same time I understand why people do what they do. Hoping Windows 10 will be inexpensive. They will probably make more money with an inexpensive OS rather than an expensive one that fewer people will actually pay for. So like an example, 10,000 people buying Windows for $100, or 100,000 people buying it for $20. It makes a huge difference.

I'd like it if I could do a fresh install without upgrading to Windows 10 so I'm hoping that is an option when I upgrade. To be able to activate Windows 10 using a Windows 7 or 8 OEM key on fresh install. I'd like to make a backup copy (fresh OS, not a backup with potential errors on it) in case it start screwing up which happens more often than not in Windows.

I don't want to rant on too much. I'll just wait and see what they do.

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

You got to realize that some people may or may not have the money to buy windows, which forces them to pirate it.

I will never understand why a person would pirate windows even though they have to buy a computer with a OS installed.

And I don't think Microsoft can block these activators as they run at boot. (They might figure out how to block it someday)

yes especially in poorer countries, one license of Windows is one or more month of salary.
Windows should be made free now, they earned enough Billions. they could still get incomes from Office and other corporate softwares.

Microsoft can block any unlicensed, pirated or cracked Windows. They just don't want to...

yes , they knows about it , they just tolerate because a machine using a pirated Windows copy is still a Windows machine , by this they reduce the market share's growth of free OS like Linux.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
What? I can't imagine such a scenario.
I can't afford a Ferrari; I'm not forced to steal one.
Are those forced to steal Windows also forced to steal the hardware they install it on?

Win10 for free (even for pirates) isn't about "legitimacy" as much as it is about getting the Windows Store to as many people as possible (especially China).

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
MS's policy is to simply ignore the massive piracy in China and other nations. So we are subsidizing those nations. They strain out the gnat here, but swallow a camel there. As Umbra wrote here, they prioritize market share over immediate profits, because of the market clout it brings in other ways. It's very tempting to switch to Linux, but the upgrade is free, and Linux's hardware drivers still lag behind.

Before updating, I would run the MS online Genuine test. This is Validation, which is more than Activation (though I'm not sure of the difference).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.