Battle What Ad-Blocker/Tracking Protection Do You Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
Please vote in the poll above for your best choices. I, personally, use AdMuncher and Disconnect- but have tried all of the choices below.

Adblock Plus is the most well-known adblocker in the world... AdGuard has popped up recently and is making MAJOR strides in their work... and they listen. A few months back, I suggested on the forums, a more comprehensive WOT integration, and they replied saying it was a good idea but they were not sure if they could do it. To my surprise, in v.5.10, they actually included my idea!

AdMuncher is on my system only because my AdGuard license expired and I needed a free alternative... it's light and working nice with some tweaks, but not the full experience with AdGuard.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
I use Emsisoft Antimalware.

I have enabled Privacy Protection in that plus I have the list of Ad Domain/ Tracking domain to the sites I visit. So I have blocked those using Emsisoft's Surf Protection.

upload_2014-11-27_9-37-42.png

So after this I do not receive any Ads :D
Also I use Firefox most of the times with Third Party Cookies Disabled.

So no extra software, so extra resource waste :)

Also it has more protection. Because it will work for all programs not only the browsers. You can't even ping those Ad/Tracking domains ;)

Last edited:

OneDay

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
I'm currently using uBlock in Opera and uMatrix.
Second one not actually a privacy extension per se (it doesn't use a blacklist of tracking companies, although it uses some HOSTS files), but let's you in full control of where your PC is allowed to connect to.
Both are amazingly lightweight and pretty effective.

Last edited:

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014

I have enabled Privacy Protection in that plus I have the list of Ad Domain/ Tracking domain to the sites I visit. So I have blocked those using Emsisoft's Surf Protection.

View attachment 34187

Also it has more protection. Because it will work for all programs not only the browsers. You can't even ping those Ad/Tracking domains ;)
Where do you get those domains? Do you need to put them in manually, or can you paste easylist/fanboy inside?

Reactions: Bill7 and Kent

akshay1189

Level 3
Verified
Dec 6, 2013

View attachment 34187

CAN you explain from where did you the list of Ad Domain/ Tracking domain to the sites you visit ???

Reactions: Bill7

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Our family uses...

On Windows 8.1 & linux distros:
  • Adblock Edge on Firefox, Cyberfox, Pale Moon, Ice Weasle
  • Adguard (interchangeably) with uBlock on Chrome & Chromium
Windows 7 SP 1 & Windows XP:
  • Adblock Plus placed for my wife on Firefox before learning there exists choices from among others.;)
(Our Son's) Windows 7 SP 1:
  • ..hopefully something (anything). He doesn't like talking about such matters since his friend's re-install went amiss o_O(Oh, oh...):confused: and left him with driver problem issues.

Last edited:

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
AdGuard, Ghostery, BetterPrivacy, Anti-AdBlock Killer, Self-Destructing Cookies extensions in browser.

I also use HostsMan software with the following lists for my hosts file which serves as a fallback.

MVPS Hosts, hpHosts (Ad and tracking), Peter Lowe's AdServers List, Cameleon.

With this setup I haven't seen an ad in over 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.