Battle What Firewall is best for Windows 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kernels

Thread author
Apr 13, 2014
I Might be getting a laptop for graduation in the next two or two and half months. but one thing is nagging me constantly what is the best firewall for the windows system i am going to use, outside of the windows system as too protect against malicious viruses and the such. I would like to hear your opinions please offer an explanation if you can.

PS. i am sorry if this is the wrong forum, I am new to this website.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Are you looking for a pure firewall, or one with HIPS and other proactive features?

For simple and no fuss, Windows Firewall is sufficient. But remember when you connect to a network, choose the correct settings (ie. Home, Work or Public). For better user control, try Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, you can customise to your liking.
Or something easier to use, yet lightweight, TinyWall - http://tinywall.pados.hu

In before the firewall fanboys come along, there is no best, only one that suits you.

Kernels

Thread author
Apr 13, 2014
Are you looking for a pure firewall, or one with HIPS and other proactive features?

For simple and no fuss, Windows Firewall is sufficient. But remember when you connect to a network, choose the correct settings (ie. Home, Work or Public). For better user control, try Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, you can customise to your liking.
Or something easier to use, yet lightweight, TinyWall - http://tinywall.pados.hu

In before the firewall fanboys come along, there is no best, only one that suits you.

Thanks for posting, I think i will have to start out with something easier to use, because of what is too be my newness to Windows coming off of using A Mac.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013

Totally correct.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014

I agree.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
windows 8 firewall is good but i think kaspersky internet security firewall is great because he can block every door to the internet for a program
Is the firewall component of KIS working properly now? Last time I used it, it didn't prevent any program from accessing the internet. But the workaround was to block internet access through Application Control rather than the Firewall component.

hamo

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2014
Is the firewall component of KIS working properly now? Last time I used it, it didn't prevent any program from accessing the internet. But the workaround was to block internet access through Application Control rather than the Firewall component.

I am with you ,,

So I use KIS firewall manually control .

NPomr9Or.png

lYCCHrnz.png

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I've felt very secure using Windows Firewall for our Windows 8/8.1 because of the many sterling accounts from The Oracles of MT whom praise it's superior effectiveness!
Try online armor free
Koroke San, this is interesting!o_O Shortly after I'd joined MT, I can remember Online Armor being one of the more highly praised Firewalls, yet chose Privatefirewall (for XP) because I was under the impression there wasn't a free version. Am I confusing:confused: this firewall with another one that may a similar name, and wasn't it's company based in Australia?:rolleyes: Either way, since Emsisoft is spoken of very highly here for their AV, here's Softpedia's link for their free firewall http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Firewall/Online-Armor-Free.shtml

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks for posting, I think i will have to start out with something easier to use, because of what is too be my newness to Windows coming off of using A Mac.

What security products, if any, did you use on the Mac? And out of curiosity, why switch to Windows?

At a minimum, the Action Center should look like this - this is what I run.
upload_2014-4-14_12-5-9.png

(BlackBox) Hacker

Level 2
Verified
Apr 21, 2014
Try Online Armor Free, Comodo Firewall, Privatefirewall these are very good third party Firewall Software and If you Like Windows Firewall? Try Windows Firewall Notifier or my Software Windows Firewall Console 9.0!

I Might be getting a laptop for graduation in the next two or two and half months. but one thing is nagging me constantly what is the best firewall for the windows system i am going to use, outside of the windows system as too protect against malicious viruses and the such. I would like to hear your opinions please offer an explanation if you can.

PS. i am sorry if this is the wrong forum, I am new to this website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.