What Happens When a Tech Support Scammer Cold Calls Emsisoft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GabiCRX

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2011
"It’s called the Microsoft Tech Support scam, and it’s been around for years. Last week, Emsisoft and Bleeping Computer intercepted one of these scammers, and in addition to messing with him for a good three hours, we took detailed notes on how the Microsoft Tech Support scam works.

Someone calls you up, claiming to be from Microsoft, and scares you into thinking that your otherwise normally functioning PC is infected. If they scare you well enough, they’ll then connect you to a remote administration software that lets “their experts take a look at your PC.” From there, a number of bad things can happen, including malware installation, data theft, or simply more scare tactics, all in an attempt to sell you some expensive program that doesn’t work – or doesn’t even exist.

People all across the world get contacted by Microsoft scammers every single day, and all too often they become victims."

Continue: http://blog.emsisoft.com/2014/08/29...icker140829&utm_campaign=newsbox_ticker140829

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
Did Mr.Z really use horrible grammar, or were they added for humorous purpose?
Edit : Just read the final note. Never mind.

Last edited:

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
If its me, I will put the shamoon Wiper malware into my virtual machine, block it from running with SRP, and say: "I found this wierd file on my com and can't run it or do anything to it, can you load it up into your PC and see what it does?" :rolleyes:

Good luck trying to recover your hard disk after that.

MalwareHunter

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 30, 2014
Really, anyone believe that a man who can't write a word down without a mistake works for MS / or he can help you? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.