Guide | How To What is “Freeware”?

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Not everybody means the same thing when they tag some piece of software as “freeware”. You will often see something labeled freeware when it really isn’t. In this article, I will describe various kinds of software that are often called freeware and try to clear up some of the confusion.

True freeware
What I call real “freeware” comes in these two varieties:

• Freeware with proprietary code - These programs can be downloaded and used as you please, for as long as you please, wherever you please. No source code is available and the programs cannot be modified
  • Open source freeware - These programs can be downloaded and used as you please, for as long as you please, wherever you please. The source code is available and, with certain restrictions, you can modify the code and distribute it.
Software with strings or restrictions
There are some common categories that are called freeware but have strings of one sort or the other. They may not cost you a direct cash payment but they come with indirect ways to generate income for the developer. In a sense then, they are not really free and might be called “pseudo-freeware”. You can decide for yourself if they are really “free”.

• Shareware - This is an old category whose original meaning has basically disappeared. Back in the days of DOS, this is how individual developers sold or "shared" their programs. These were programs that you could try out for free. If you liked the program and continued to use it, you were then supposed to pay for it. Otherwise, you were supposed to uninstall it. It was an honor system that many people abused so it died out. Nowadays, the term “shareware” is often applied to trialware (see below) or sometimes to freemium software (discussed next). Shareware was never freeware but some people confuse the term “shareware” with the stricter category “freeware”.
  • Freemium software - Many applications have both a useful free version for personal systems and a paid commercial version. They may be substantially equivalent in function or there may be added features in the commercial version. Because it comes with a license regulating its use, the free version is not freeware in the strict sense.

Another type of "freemium" software is common on mobile platforms. A useful app can be installed for free but additional features are available by making a payment from within the app.

• Donationware - This is software where the developer asks for a voluntary donation. If all you see is a request on the developer’s site and that’s the end of it, this is pretty close to true freeware. However, sometimes the request for donations is presented within the software. If the request is persistent, you have the next category.
  • Nagware - This is software that pops up a request for payment every time you use it. Sometimes the nagging only starts after a trial period has elapsed. You can close the request and use the software without payment but it will keep nagging you. Some sort of payment is required to turn the nagging off.
  • Registerware - We begin to get into a greyer area. In order to download the program, you have to provide an email address. The address may or may not be used to spam you. Or you may end up with a newsletter you might not want.
  • Trialware or Demoware - Software that you can use for free for a short period of time. When the time is up, the software is automatically disabled or crippled. You will often see download links for this type of software labeled “free download”. Payment is required to continue to use the program after the trial period. It is easy to be misled into thinking that this is freeware.
  • Crippleware - Software with a free version that has some or even most of its features disabled (often very useful ones). To get all the features you have to pay. This is another category that can be misleading about how “free” it is.
Software with intrusive or potentially undesirable features
As developers keep searching for ways to make programs generate income, certain types of practices have arisen which many PC users may find objectionable. This takes us to a grey realm in between true freeware and malware.This is a controversial area and a full discussion is beyond the scope of this article. However, there are two categories that need mentioning.

• Adware - Software that is free but displays ads when you use the program. Programs vary in how aggressive the advertising is. In many apps, the ads are not very distracting and are fairly easy to ignore. Personally, I use several programs that carry ads but I hardly notice them. However, there are also programs where the ads are more intrusive. Individual tolerance for these ads will vary.

There is also an undesirable type of adware that installs advertising on your PC that runs even when you aren’t using the particular program. I consider these programs to be a form of malware.

• Foistware or bundleware - It is becoming common for software developers to try to monetize their work by bundling a program with toolbars or other programs that also get installed by default unless you are very careful. These days, users of free applications have to be especially vigilant about how they download and install programs.

Unfortunately, some big download sites, such as CNET (Download.com) and Softonic are also using proprietary installers that add things you probably don’t want when you install a program. This is why Gizmo's Freeware only recommends Softpedia, MajorGeeks, and FileHippo as safe third party download sources. Care also needs to be taken when obtaining programs directly from the developers own site. Sometimes these download links will redirect to a third party source that is using a wrapped installer.
via Gizmo's

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Softpedia, MajorGeeks, and FileHippo as safe third party download sources

These are the only 3rd party sites I will download from.Everything that is free is not always good.Knowing the software and the company is one of the most important things you can do.It is fairly easy to find out which are reputable and which are not so reputable.With a bevy of giveaways and free offers for software it is tempting to click away,let's face it everyone likes something free.If you have never heard of it before be cautious.If you want to try it run it sandboxed or in a virtual environment.

Bora you forgot Captain Spaulding under true freeware :D

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
How could I forgot to mention Captainspauldingware:eek:

With a bevy of giveaways and free offers for software it is tempting to click away,let's face it everyone likes something free

Every new software I must try out in virtual environment. I'm always too curious :)

D

Deleted member 178

One category is missing: Cardware (or Postcardware) where the users have to send a postcard (from their town was the tradition) to the developer to get the license

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
"THE BEER-WARE LICENSE" (Revision 42): <phk@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote this file.
As long as you retain this notice you can do whatever you want with this stuff. If we meet some day, and you think
this stuff is worth it, you can buy me a beer in return

Poul-Henning Kamp

You got it Poul-Henning Kamp :D

170px-BeerWare_Logo.svg.png

D

Deleted member 178

lol, i should create a "BimboWare" , if you like my product send me a... :p

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
most of the time freeware does not allow to use it for commercial purpose.

sk3llgamerZDay

Level 2
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
You forgot bragware or kiddieware. Just something I came up with

- Kiddieware: programs made by script kiddies
-bragware: like adware but the owner posts false reviews such as rouges xD

Reactions: BoraMurdar

vexzo

Level 1
Verified
Jan 19, 2014
Ramsonware: its free, but it will get u by the balls..later.
Crapware: cost nothing, worth nothing
Emigrationware: aka "georestricted", move to "Transilvania" or use vpn...

Formido

Mar 30, 2014
Not everybody means the same thing when they tag some piece of software as “freeware”. You will often see something labeled freeware when it really isn’t. In this article, I will describe various kinds of software that are often called freeware and try to clear up some of the confusion.

True freeware
What I call real “freeware” comes in these two varieties:

• Freeware with proprietary code - These programs can be downloaded and used as you please, for as long as you please, wherever you please. No source code is available and the programs cannot be modified
  • Open source freeware - These programs can be downloaded and used as you please, for as long as you please, wherever you please. The source code is available and, with certain restrictions, you can modify the code and distribute it.
Software with strings or restrictions
There are some common categories that are called freeware but have strings of one sort or the other. They may not cost you a direct cash payment but they come with indirect ways to generate income for the developer. In a sense then, they are not really free and might be called “pseudo-freeware”. You can decide for yourself if they are really “free”.

• Shareware - This is an old category whose original meaning has basically disappeared. Back in the days of DOS, this is how individual developers sold or "shared" their programs. These were programs that you could try out for free. If you liked the program and continued to use it, you were then supposed to pay for it. Otherwise, you were supposed to uninstall it. It was an honor system that many people abused so it died out. Nowadays, the term “shareware” is often applied to trialware (see below) or sometimes to freemium software (discussed next). Shareware was never freeware but some people confuse the term “shareware” with the stricter category “freeware”.
  • Freemium software - Many applications have both a useful free version for personal systems and a paid commercial version. They may be substantially equivalent in function or there may be added features in the commercial version. Because it comes with a license regulating its use, the free version is not freeware in the strict sense.

Another type of "freemium" software is common on mobile platforms. A useful app can be installed for free but additional features are available by making a payment from within the app.

• Donationware - This is software where the developer asks for a voluntary donation. If all you see is a request on the developer’s site and that’s the end of it, this is pretty close to true freeware. However, sometimes the request for donations is presented within the software. If the request is persistent, you have the next category.
  • Nagware - This is software that pops up a request for payment every time you use it. Sometimes the nagging only starts after a trial period has elapsed. You can close the request and use the software without payment but it will keep nagging you. Some sort of payment is required to turn the nagging off.
  • Registerware - We begin to get into a greyer area. In order to download the program, you have to provide an email address. The address may or may not be used to spam you. Or you may end up with a newsletter you might not want.
  • Trialware or Demoware - Software that you can use for free for a short period of time. When the time is up, the software is automatically disabled or crippled. You will often see download links for this type of software labeled “free download”. Payment is required to continue to use the program after the trial period. It is easy to be misled into thinking that this is freeware.
  • Crippleware - Software with a free version that has some or even most of its features disabled (often very useful ones). To get all the features you have to pay. This is another category that can be misleading about how “free” it is.
Software with intrusive or potentially undesirable features
As developers keep searching for ways to make programs generate income, certain types of practices have arisen which many PC users may find objectionable. This takes us to a grey realm in between true freeware and malware.This is a controversial area and a full discussion is beyond the scope of this article. However, there are two categories that need mentioning.

• Adware - Software that is free but displays ads when you use the program. Programs vary in how aggressive the advertising is. In many apps, the ads are not very distracting and are fairly easy to ignore. Personally, I use several programs that carry ads but I hardly notice them. However, there are also programs where the ads are more intrusive. Individual tolerance for these ads will vary.

There is also an undesirable type of adware that installs advertising on your PC that runs even when you aren’t using the particular program. I consider these programs to be a form of malware.

• Foistware or bundleware - It is becoming common for software developers to try to monetize their work by bundling a program with toolbars or other programs that also get installed by default unless you are very careful. These days, users of free applications have to be especially vigilant about how they download and install programs.

Unfortunately, some big download sites, such as CNET (Download.com) and Softonic are also using proprietary installers that add things you probably don’t want when you install a program. This is why Gizmo's Freeware only recommends Softpedia, MajorGeeks, and FileHippo as safe third party download sources. Care also needs to be taken when obtaining programs directly from the developers own site. Sometimes these download links will redirect to a third party source that is using a wrapped installer.
via Gizmo's
I would mostly agree, although I tend to simplify it into four categories:
1. Freeware - software that is 100% free...no strings, gimmicks, or cons allowed.
2. Shareware - software that is free, but the developer asks for donation...may or may not include nagware.
3. Payware - not free, and comes at a clearly marked price...includes trialware.
4. Rentware - not free, in that you have to make regular payments, usually once a year.
In my opinion (take it or leave it), so-called freeware that comes with adware is really fraudware or scamware. Download sites that supply such foistware are enablers of this con job, and developers that allow their products to be packaged with such adware are con men that that do not have the backbone to make their offerings payware.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I would mostly agree, although I tend to simplify it into four categories:
1. Freeware - software that is 100% free...no strings, gimmicks, or cons allowed.
2. Shareware - software that is free, but the developer asks for donation...may or may not include nagware.
3. Payware - not free, and comes at a clearly marked price...includes trialware.
4. Rentware - not free, in that you have to make regular payments, usually once a year.
In my opinion (take it or leave it), so-called freeware that comes with adware is really fraudware or scamware. Download sites that supply such foistware are enablers of this con job, and developers that allow their products to be packaged with such adware are con men that that do not have the backbone to make their offerings payware.
Well, I always recommend for members to download software from the developer site, even I download everything from Softpedia.
I love the way Softpedia categorizes software, take CCleaner for example. It is freeware, but ad-supported freeware (CCleaner Slim Edition is true freeware)
Capture.JPG

Softpedia always warns visitors if some installer contains additional programs that are not necessary for the main program to run.

Shareware is not always freeware. Some shareware programs are free to install and run it for 30 days (for example), and then you have several options :
  • You can continue to use it for free but program functions are limited
  • You cannot continue to use the program since the developer asks you to pay
  • Some programs are limited from the beginning of the trial use
  • Some programs even cannot be installed without registration
  • Some programs (pro ones) even doesn't have an option to use it in the trial mode, you need to pay for them or you will not use it at all
  • etc etc

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.