What's the best cloud antivirus? (free and paid)

What's the best cloud antivirus? (free and paid)

• Total voters

davidgzz

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2013
What's your favorite free and paid cloud antivirus? and Why?
Mine are:
free: panda cloud (kingsoft is a very strong av but it doesn't have any support)
paid: webroot

Are there any others? along with baidu, qihoo, and immunet?

Thanks (I'm not sure if this is the proper part of the forum to post this, sorry guys)

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
trend micro and most of today's traditional antivirus companies support cloud as well as offline based detection....
Baidu and Qihoo both have local offline signature in PC, Baidu has Avira signatures, and Qihoo has Bitdefender signatures, and they access their own signatures on online, AFAIK...

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
As bunyip783 said, I don't like purely cloud products either. It should be specified whether a product has the cloud as a complement or as the sole database (Panda, for example — no, I'm not picking on Panda — has a local database that is basically ineffective). Of course an offline database can never be 100% of the cloud because the cloud gets updated much more quickly, but I still think the database should be in the local copy ASAP.

As a rule of thumb, to make good recommendations you must first know the necessities of the user, then you go through the features of the contenders to find the best suited one. Of the ones I have used, my overall vote goes for Baidu.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
With-out question Webroot! They are building a-lot trust and are very helpful! Customer Support is especially good in helping anyone out with a PC related problems!:)

Reactions: Game Of Thrones

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
The best depends on the user and system needs, what might be best for one user might not be the best for others.
Reckless users will need different protection features than what users who are careful will need.
There is not an over-all best that will apply to all users. You will have to break (best) down into categories.

Features or protection features needed, price, system impact, false alerts, compatibility, user-friendliness, etc.

For example: Webroot maybe the favorite of some users, but for myself I don't need it or its features and I have no need to waste money on it therefore it is not best for me.

Thanks.:D

davidgzz

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2013
The best depends on the user and system needs, what might be best for one user might not be the best for others.
Reckless users will need different protection features than what users who are careful will need.
There is not an over-all best that will apply to all users. You will have to break (best) down into categories.

Features or protection features needed, price, system impact, false alerts, compatibility, user-friendliness, etc.

For example: Webroot maybe the favorite of some users, but for myself I don't need it or its features and I have no need to waste money on it therefore it is not best for me.

Thanks.:D

and for example, for normal users that browse the web for school stuff, youtube, facebook, etc. I'm searching for a light (Free) av, that's why I'm looking for a cloud av, since they are generally lighter, more of a cloud av, for my family computer. My little brother and sister only use it for little things, plus I'm adding sandboxie.

Right now I'm looking into Kingsoft, but since it hasn't been updated :(, I think I will go for baidu+sandboxie

Thanks.

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
If you want light, Baidu is an excellent choice. It's actively being developed. KS 2012 has its merits (actually a better detection rate than when it was in active development), but I do not recommend it because, for one, there's no support. Baidu has great support from devs for a free app.

davidgzz

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2013
If you want light, Baidu is an excellent choice. It's actively being developed. KS 2012 has its merits (actually a better detection rate than when it was in active development), but I do not recommend it because, for one, there's no support. Baidu has great support from devs for a free app.

support isn't that big of a problem, my only concern it's that it is from 2012, and we are in 2014, they haven't update it recently... from baidu and kingsoft, what do you recommend? and why?

thanks.

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Lack of support is a problem because neither program is perfect, but Baidu is getting fixed and improved while KS 2012 is not. KS 2012 is prone to false positives (at least was till last I tried it), and the fact it automatically quarantines anything without asking doesn't help either. Baidu have been known for producing too many FPs too, but they seem to have been improving on that. Back to support, if you find a FP, or any other problem, Baidu are ready to work on your case; Kingsoft, I'm not even sure that they have any communication medium in English anymore.

Baidu's real-time monitor can be configured to use its own engine only or its engine + Avira's, and to work on Strict, Standard, or Fast mode. On Standard it's very light already, but if you want lighter, perhaps for an older computer, you could set it to Fast without Avira; and maybe complement that with regularly scheduled scans.

Reactions: davidgzz

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.