What's your view on Windows 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sinu

Thread author
So now that a good number of you have installed Windows 10 (obviously a fair few of you will have been Windows Insiders for a while as well), we’d like to hear what you think of it.

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
Not enough reasons for me to switch. Edge browser has no extensions, ad blockers, and no word on when it will have that ability. No guest account. Rolled back to 8.1.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
My thoughts which are my primarily unbiased as much as possible:

1) I like the fact its still smooth at all and reliable, just have enough hardware to complement it.
2) I find that Windows Update is no longer on the control panel and rather than on its settings of metro app style, is a little confuse but that's fine.

- Forced updates are my concern also, so a tool provided by Microsoft which works to hide the update and not to install automatically.

3) Start Screen default is fine just a little effort to right click on the taskbar and change the properties
4) The thing also is you need to install 3rd party programs immediately since those built in features are primarily removed from upgrade like Windows Media Player.
5) Performance and accurate of incompatible programs are guaranteed which no errors found during the upgrade process.
6) Microsoft Edge is totally good, even though no extensions yet then from several months to come; it should consider as developmental concerns.

M

Makarboy

Thread author
Visually I like more windows 8.1, there are more coloours everything is gorgeous, but technically windows 10 is superior. Microsoft edge needs 1-2 seconds to be open, however I need 10 seconds to open chrome

Reactions: Sloth

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
Upgraded from Win7 to 10. Best decision ever. Win10 is a lot smooth & fast than Win7.

If you are using Win7 then I strongly recommend upgrading to Win10.

PS: If you are a PC gamer then you should definitely upgrade to Win10 as its the only OS that will support Dx-12 & above.

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Win 10 is starting to grow on me. I had reservations at the beginning, but after going through the settings and configurations, I'm starting to like it. Its just a matter of getting used to a new Ui

I'm finding that the inbuilt Defragment and Optimise Tool works way faster than it did on Win 8.1.

Reactions: juhful

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
After, one BSOD, Kaspersky 2016 total, and utter crap. Sorry if that sounds rude, but Windows 8/8.1 was 100% better than this, yes it looks good, but when you dig deeper you realize it's not.

Reactions: FreddyFreeloader

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
Early bugs are obvious with software release, especially when the software is as big as Windows and also a OS. :p

I'm really really happy with Win10 and ill stay with it. :D

Reactions: juhful and frogboy

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
After, one BSOD, Kaspersky 2016 total, and utter crap. Sorry if that sounds rude, but Windows 8/8.1 was 100% better than this, yes it looks good, but when you dig deeper you realize it's not.
By most accounts Kaspersky 2016 doesn't play nice with Windows 10, I have upgraded my desktop and laptop, both upgrades went smooth and everything is running very well except for the broken firewall in Emsisoft Internet Security so I don't think Windows 10 is the real problem, other programs need to be updated to work with it, so far I like it.

Reactions: Sloth and frogboy

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
For people having issues with AV, try ESET Smart Security 9 Beta as it seems to work good enough. :)

Last edited:

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I've installed Norton and it works 100%, so I'm kinda confused why the likes of Kaspersky couldn't do the same, then they release it to their customers unfinished and with dangerous holes in the actual ability to stop ransomware. Especially when AV-Comparatives said it worked on Windows 10. From what I can see, hardly any av software plays nicely - how long has Windows 10 been available to the public, let alone companies.

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
So far I'm really enjoying Windows 10. Like what already mentioned Windows 10 seems a lot faster and more smoother than 8.1. All my apps worked when made upgrade to 10. So far a real pleasurable experience. Can't wait for extensions to be integrated in Edge. It is going to be a fantastic browser when Microsoft adds all the goodies. I really think Windows 10 is the best OS so far.

Reactions: frogboy

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
From a gamer point of view, cant complain with Windows 10. On a day to day operation, 8.1 was stable to 10 is also quite stable. Edge doesn't support extensions but only ones I use for Chrome/IE are adblocks so a simple way around was using PeerBlock. Problem solved.

Half of the AVs on market either say they are compatible and use users as guinea pigs (look at avast forums for example), or half of their main selling point features don't work (Kaspersky for example, tho they are aware and optimizing it). Quite happy with WD running. Webroot and W10 have a memory leak problem (Webroot points to Microsoft, Microsoft hasn't released anything to fix or deny its their fault - minimal issue if you ask me actually as I have seen far more serious memory leaks in W7 and W8/W8.1 on other AVs and all they did was blaming MS until they suddenly "shadow patched it").

Visually: finally got rid of the shell theme of window's 8, thats all I will say.

Do I still run Linux? Yep but no longer as a dual boot. Got a dedicated set of systems for that.

Reactions: Sloth

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Couldn't wait any longer for the upgrade to begin so I used Microsofts own tool that worked flawless: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

I only had to uninstall one software before it started. The first thing I noted was that Edge couldn't always play flash videos but it still worked perfect in the latest versions of Firefox, Opera and IE. After a little search I was able to fix the issue by simply enable software rendering but I still miss all the nice addons like ad-blocker, Ghostery etc that makes the strolling on the net smoother. If I understood it correct addons option in Edge will be added later so until then I will be using other browsers.

The second thing was non 100% working codecs. My previous version Windows 7 Pro didn't have those kind of issues but I do remember it was very similar when Vista came out. After tested all versions of K-Lite and even Shark007 back and forward as sometimes it played my videos and sometimes not and never .mts I started to think I might had to revert the upgrade but after another search I found codecs called " Media Player Codec Pack v4.3.8 " that finaly worked on every single video file but only with the MPC-HC ( Media Player Classic Home Cinema ). Why that's the case I have no clue but I don't care as long atleast one media player works but...I wasen't to happy to find out that this codec suite is infested with PUP and adwares. For some unknown reson the codec pack thought it installed itself on Windows 8 and I was able to decline the extra included crapware so I guess that saved me from anything unwanted as after alot of scanning in safemode ( McAfee, Sophos, Msert and Emsisoft ) I couldn't find anything malicious but it's still a risk so either I keep it or use a system recovery point or reinstall the whole enchilada.:rolleyes:

Access safemode wasen't just as in the good old day simply press F8 after BIOS start. Was forced to use a much more complicated path that involved holding down the shift key and at the same time do a restart etc.

I'm not the greatest fan of the extrem integration of my live or hotmail account as I see it as a direct automatic higher security risk if someone is able to access my pc and especially if I connect my creditcards. It's ofcourse possible to disable the mail option and just use local accounts instead and it wasen't atleast for me set as on by default and that's good. A small recommendation would be when installing apps to only use the mail access for the specific wanted app.

Nevertheless for now I will stick with Windows 10 and keep learning...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.