Battle Which best antivirus for offline user

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxxx58

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
I want to know which antivirus that is most suitable for user can't access internet for a long time. Please give me your suggestion. Thank you!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well any antivirus can managed well on offline however updates were implemented by streaming/pulse updates due to myriad of new threats developing everyday.

So offline type will be capable on most certain USB which autorun attacks are very common threats to be detected. (including also Sality, Mabezat and others)

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Does Emsisoft need to update their signature regularly?

If you need latest signature then yes.

But think about how you can get infected.
If you are offline from long time then you can't get infected through malicious items downloaded from Internet.
So only option left is external drive/ network drive infection. Most of the popular Antivirus already have autorun protection. Only thing you need to check is not clicking any suspicious file and you will be safe.

Control your click and you can avoid most of the infection.

Maxxx58

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
If you need latest signature then yes.

But think about how you can get infected.
If you are offline from long time then you can't get infected through malicious items downloaded from Internet.
So only option left is external drive/ network drive infection. Most of the popular Antivirus already have autorun protection. Only thing you need to check is not clicking any suspicious file and you will be safe.

Control your click and you can avoid most of the infection.
Thanks very much. Very nice information!

Reactions: Anupam

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Most common Antivirus require a permanent Internet connection, these will not benefit an offline system. A better solution would be a behaviour-based or sandboxing applications on a daily basis. Any and all changes will be isolated.

Forcing File Explorer to be launched in a sandbox will prevent any USB autorun virus from infecting your PC.

It's advised to keep regular documents backed up, incase system failure.

Try Sandboxie, Toolwiz Time Freeze, or other similar free applications. Just a suggestion.

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
If you are offline, I think the only way you can get infected is through your usb drives. For offline antivirus, you are looking for products with very strong offline proactive protection. That means no Norton, webroot etc. I would suggest something like Emsisoft for you. Also if possible scan the usb drives first on another computer.

Reactions: Maxxx58

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013

Maxxx58

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
Offline system are not usually attacked by zero-days,most of the malwares come from USBs

Try MCShield alonge with a light antivirus

Avast is a good choice because it has VPS Update file which can bee downloaded elsewhere and then transferred to the offline system
Which is better? MCShied or USB Disk Security?

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
I often copy data from USB Drive, not often install new software
I recommend you have some scanners like Emsisoft Emergency Kit, ESET Online Scanner, and Malwarebytes to scan your files whenever you can get them to update, or maybe on a weekly basis. Do you get connected with this machine sometimes or never? If never, you'll need some program that can update offline like avast or Avira.

That's for data you want to keep or work with, but if you don't keep the new data in your HD, then you can simply use Sandboxie or ToolWiz TimeFreeze, or even a virtual machine, to use the data in an isolated manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.