Which recovery software are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aluya

Thread author
Oct 15, 2013
If your files deleted by mistaken,which recovery software you choose. I just want to select the best and safe one.

firestr001

Level 2
Jul 22, 2012
I dont use generally.But you can try this-

http://7datarecovery.com/ (There is free version and pro)

You can also grab when this giveaway is available for the pro version license.

7-Data Recovery Suite [1 Year]

http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/7-data-recovery-suite

firestr001

Level 2
Jul 22, 2012
You can also grab this giveaway- Wondershare Data Recovery

http://sharewareonsale.com/s/wondershare-data-recovery-sale

This is a 72hours giveaway. so grab it before offer ends. :D

technology

Level 7
Verified
Jul 5, 2013
If your files already deleted then, for me im using ICARE DATA RECOVERY " PAID"
LINK

for free alternative you can use:
1-Recuva File Recovery
2-Wise Data Recovery
3- Glary Undelete

The best way to guard yourself against accidental deletion or lost data is to keep regular backups of your important files.

1- Restore Previous Versions (Free)

Starting with Windows 7, the operating system comes packaged with a tool called Restore Previous Versions. In order for it to work, you’ll need to enable the System Protection feature which automatically creates restore points on a set period. These restore points are used for tracking file versions.
The great thing is that this feature also tracks the history of folders, not just files. In order to restore a deleted file, you can go to the folder where it used to reside and revisit a past version of said folder in order to file a previous version of that file.

Windows keeps track of all the previous versions of all files you open and change when it creates the system restore point for the day (usually around midnight). This creates a few issues you need to be aware of:

* The file must be located on the hard drive that contains Windows unless you specifically tell it to include the drive in its previous version runs.

* A file has to be closed when Windows runs a restore point in order to get the current version saved. So, don’t leave the files open overnight.

2-Genie Timeline Home (Paid)
All info from HERE

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Haven't had a need to use one since '08 but have Recuva just in case.

landerio

Verified
Jul 19, 2013
aluya said:
If your files deleted by mistaken,which recovery software you choose. I just want to select the best and safe one.

Free file recovery software: Recuva
Paid data recovery software: R-Studio (powerful, support formula and raw recovery)

NOTEs:
First, once your data is lost, don't overwrite the disk anymore(don't input new data in your disk).
Second, don't put your data in your system driver if have more than one drivers.
Third, frequently backup your important data.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Many external hard drives comes with their own free backup and recovery software. Since I have a Maxtor One Touch, it comes with Maxtor Manager to make backups and bootable recovery disk to restore backups. I have used it for years and it has never failed me.

Thanks. :D

Last edited:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
BoraMurdar, Id be really interested if you think there's a difference between the abilities of a freeware utility such as Recuva or Glary Undelete, and your Easeus Pro?
I read many reviews of data recovery software. In most cases Photorec and TestDisk should be enough but users dislike these for not having a modern user interface.
A couple of years ago my friend have installed Ubuntu for the first time to try this Linux Distro. Of course he didn't realize that "Install Ubuntu and Replace Windows" would mean that Ubuntu will format his whole HDD into ext3 format. As Parted Magic Iso was not so popular in those days I couldn't find any recovery software that would run in Linux environment, so I needed to create a very small partition to install Windows XP and leave remaining space unformated just to preserve more HDD space to be intact or overwritten for data recovery.
I have used Easeus Data Recovery Wizard and it could find almost everything that was deleted, able to recover almost everything but half of files were unusable as they were overwritten by secondary Ubuntu files. Tried with Recuva also and Recuva found less stuff than Easeus. There was review of Easeus Data Recovery Wizard recently by Softpedia and Easeus didn't celebrate.
I heard that R-Studio is the most powerful recovery software but I never used it.

Reactions: Jack

Chigwells

Level 4
Jan 16, 2012
I have used Easeus Data Recovery Wizard and it could find almost everything that was deleted, able to recover almost everything but half of files were unusable as they were overwritten by secondary Ubuntu files.

Tried with Recuva also and Recuva found less stuff than Easeus.

Brill thanks!

I'm going to install the free version, who knows, in an emergency that might make the difference to finding a file! Looking at the comparison chart, the major difference is the size of file(s) that can be saved, I'll give it a go.

Thanks for your feedback, chig

Shadowave

Level 10
Verified
Aug 10, 2012
Icare Data Recovery Pro it's the only one I used after formatting a partition with all the pictures and video files that I had more than 170 Gb and I recovered 99%

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Brill thanks!

I'm going to install the free version, who knows, in an emergency that might make the difference to finding a file! Looking at the comparison chart, the major difference is the size of file(s) that can be saved, I'll give it a go.

Thanks for your feedback, chig

there are giveaways for Icare Data Recovery, Easeus, 7-Data Recovery,Wondershare Data Recovery, they are probably using the same or similar recovery engine, you can find it on this forum if they are available.

aluya

Thread author
Oct 15, 2013
Thanks all the suggestions. I get a free license of Power Data Recovery.

aliloxton

Verified
Oct 11, 2013
Hey Aluya,

Personally I dont trust any of the recovery software. I had a very bad experince with them. I'm using a restoring software Deep Freeze probably from last 4-5 years. It works really good for me. If any thing get deleted, I just restart to get it back.

Reactions: Littlebits

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Hey Aluya,

Personally I dont trust any of the recovery software. I had a very bad experince with them. I'm using a restoring software Deep Freeze probably from last 4-5 years. It works really good for me. If any thing get deleted, I just restart to get it back.

Sometimes none of them will be able to recover lost files, that is why it is important to keep a backup of your files.
Invest in a good backup software or learn how to setup Windows backup feature (which does a good job), make sure that you use a trusted external hard drive to keep your backups.

Thanks. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.